Your best and worst movies of 2009?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, 2009 is long gone, but the movies are still lingering in our minds. What were your favorites and what were your worst?

My favorite was probably Star Trek. An utterly amazing movie.

My worst ones are probably Terminator: Salvation and Transformers 2. Terminator was just a butchering of a great franchise. Transformers 2 was just a boring action movie where at least 50% of the movie was in cliche slo-mo.

You guys?

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I enjoyed both Terminator and Transformers. I'm not by any means saying that they were good movies. Just that I had fun watching them.

Paranormal Activity was by far the worst movie of the year, IMO.

D

Deleted_171835

I'd say "The Dark Knight" was the best movie I watched in 2009.

Transformers: Revenge of Fallen was the worst movie of '09, in my opinion (duh...). A bunch of random stuff happening at once. And, what the hell was with that guy on the pyramid who was "going to take down the sun". Weird movie. I liked the first Transformers a lot, though.

freshness

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
dark knight and inglourious basterds...worst movie..mmh too many
wink.gif

Jaems

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Worst I've seen is G.I. Joe & Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Best I've seen is Moon, The Hurt Locker, District 9.
I've yet to see Avatar, or Up In The Air.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Transformers 2 was a pile of crap. Nothing redeeming at all in that movie. Mostly action with a plot that made little to no sense.

I quite enjoyed 'Moon'. It had a good story and plot. It didn't exactly get a major release worldwide, which is a shame.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Best- alas I have an internet connection and whenever I think I might have watched most of the films I want to watch I find a whole bunch more. I pay little attention to years they were made either and coupling this with the occasions I watch six or seven films a day I am left with no choice but a long post for a reply.
Still I scanned through http://www.moviefone.co.uk/2009/12/22/best-movies-of-2009/ (biggest numbers of films in simple single page format I could find on short order). At present I have seen about 7 of them, in their order

Duplicity
Had it not had the blurb/summary on the site I would not have remembered it. A passable con/spy film but one done better by numerous others.

Ponyo
Animated film, still not sure entirely what is was about other than a loosely veiled environmental message which then places it in competition with Princess Mononoke and then it instantly loses.

Adventureland
Coming of age film, it will probably be a "I saw that when" film in years to come (many have called various actors and the director as up and comers, I would not be inclined to disagree). This being said if I could mute or otherwise remove the soundtracks the 80's have many better examples.

Food, Inc.
Not sure documentaries count here. I have something of a soft spot for documentaries but nobody has really caught up to TV (looking towards people like Adam Curtis) just yet for such things.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
I have called the Harry Potter series passable fantasy before and the label sticks here. I am however starting to think TV and games have medieval fantasy down better though.

District 9
Had it been a TV series instead (with TV series length and character development)

Zombieland
One of the best mainstream zombie films I have seen in years (Dawn of the Dead remake is the first thing that springs to mind here as well as Grindhouse/Planet Terror)- you start heading into the more offbeat (dare I say the traditional realms of zombie films) territory including stuff like Dead Snow which also saw a 2009 release and it starts to not hold up.

The Hangover
I saw this on Christmas day so it may need a rewatch before I call it, I will however say Vegas comedy of this sort was probably done better by "Very Bad Things" or at least it provides the baseline for such films for me.

Inglourious Basterds
Saw this boxing day and while I am not going to call it bad it will be a film that in 10 years time will probably only be remembered by fans of Mr Tarantino.

Final thoughts on 2009 films
I will however call 2009 as the year TV was finally cemented in my mind as being better than films- I am drawn to note the oft performed comparison between games and films at this point, I now reckon TV and games are more comparable (same amount of play time, similar budgets for the most part, similar roles and "heroes" of the industries).

-----------------------------------

And just as I go to press send I bother to do the same on IMDB
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Grab Wolverine and the X-Men (cartoon) instead or better yet the 90's series or Xmen evolution.

Public Enemies
As period crime drama goes this was pretty good and better yet it does a lot to overcome it being an American driven film (the story of the great depression and John Dillinger means little to me).

Angels & Demons
Done a fair bit to put me off mystery films for a while, perhaps even more than the time I watched National Treasure.

Crank: High Voltage
I really really did not care for the first and I dare say over the top violence/action has been done better several times before especially coming from a games background and being a great fan of John Woo but I did not regret the time spent.

Fast & Furious
There have been far better car films before and much of the plot in this was something I would expect to see in the transporter series. It did not bore me senseless like the rest of the series though which was good.

The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3
I wanted to like it (indeed I even saw it at the cinema) but can any of you say it stacks against the films IMDB suggests as films like it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1111422/recommendations

Friday the 13th
No just no.

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
I have done worse in pursuit of a cheesy horror film.

Gamer
Someone saw existenz, Johnny Mnemonic, the fifth element, paycheck and the matrix and then decided that they wanted to merge all of them. If you want a film like it I instead suggest Avalon by Mamoru Oshii. I did not regret the time spent though.

Pandorum
Top notch post apocalypse/new earth sci fi.

12 Rounds
Not bad but I was reminded of Déjà Vu from 2006 throughout it and that was a better film I thought.

Watchmen
A good comic film but I never read the comics and frankly I like cartoons of comics more.

State of Play
A better thriller/mystery than Angels & Demons but I am left to compare it to the wire which means it instantly loses.

I have prattled on for long enough now. There are still loads I have missed that I have seen this year.

Gobnoblin

Trophies
XP
Country
Sherlocke Holmes was epic fail

can't think of anything totally spectacular, avatar was surprisingly unsuckish.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Good

Avatar- Best (It costs a mint for it's completion though)

Ponyo- Really good

The Princess and the Frog- History long overdue, not a bad movie either.

Bad

The Time Traveler's Wife- Epic fail (That man was nothing more than a time traveling pedo)

Twilight- Greatest fail of 2009

Lubbo

GBAtemp Veteran Resurgence
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
best:

District 9 - my favourite movie

The Hangover - another favourite

Avatar - lived upto its expectations imo

State of Play - really enjoyable and suspensefull

worst:

sherlock holmes - sat there yawning, didnt enjoy at all

harry potter - no action, nothing and also its harry potter...

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Best: Drag Me To Hell
This was the most fun I've had in a movie theatre in years. Great movie, hilarious, brilliantly paced, made me jump and yell. This was candy, pure candy. Only one bad scene (but I forgive it.)

Worst: Star Trek
I can only hope they give the next one some depth. It was a nice try, but I forgot the whole movie within minutes of it's ending.

Honorable Mention: Paranormal Activity
The aura surrounding this movie was amazing. I got goose bumps before, during, and after the movie. I don't believe in "the supernatural" in the least, and for a movie as simple as this to make me feel like I did, well, it was very nostalgic for me. I felt like I did when I was a kid, waking up in the middle of the night, thinking I heard something, silence, and then hearing something again, but nearer. Complete creepsville.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Lemme see.

Best:

James Cameron's Avatar: Epic

This is it: Not a movie, but it sorta is

Dark Knight: Excellent film

Up: Cute fat boy! Me love

Worst:

New Moon: I consider myself to be a fan of the twilight series, this movie ruined it in all respects

Christmas Carol: Really, if you make a movie for little kids you should at least cut down on the scary parts, not bad, just, it made kids cry

HP6: Love the books, the movie was, just not, ....

I personally like Transformers, not the best, but it was good. Drag me to Hell was incredibly weird, it was more like a comedy movie that wasn't meant to be, but it was hilarious.

Also, you better look at the Filipino movies. We just had our Film festival, everything was horrible. I hated everything about it. Bad effects for every movie, bad action or story. The only good one was the drama film.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Best movie I saw 2009: District 9 - slightly better then Avatar (but I have to admit, that somehow I didn`t experience the hype surrounding the movie so it blew me away, because I wasn`t expecting it to be that good. And that goes for both movies!!!)

Worst movie I saw 2009: Ong-Bak 2 - disgustingly bad...

windsail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That I have seen:

Best: Ponyo - A joy to watch especially with my five year old niece. "Up" is crap compared to this.

Worst: Inglorious Bastards - Tarantinos movies are so over-rated and they keep getting more stupid. The storyline of Shosanna was quite good but everything but the basement bar scene w/ the bastards was stupid. Brad Pit was horrible.

Best Martial Arts + Story: Chocolate (2008 but released in US 2009)

Animation Honorable Mention: Coraline

Rogue Trader

Trophies
XP
Country
Star Trek is an easy win for me. Utterly incredible movie. Just fantastic.

As for worst, The Box was pretty dull, The Men Who Stare at Goats also sucked.

I think the very worst was probably Transformers 2 though, because I really enjoyed the first one, this one was so much more disappointing. There was no plot, not nearly enough Megan Fox looking hot, and so many plot holes it was just embarrassing (although this got pretty funny by the end, as myself and my good friend William, who were at this point a little drunk, would shout PLOT HOLE!!!! any time this happened, which was a lot)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/gnXkwfS got this because it shows v draws also