Hacking Yes... another problem with SMG. Sue me.

mattm025

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have everything up to date, including 1.9g, but when I stick in SMG it doesn't even recognize the disc. It just says "unable to read disc." Could it be a bad burn? I hate using too many DVDs...

reecarno

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This must be a bad burn; you say that you updated the wiikey to 1.9g so the wii was reading backups to begin with right? Or it simply would not see the 1.9g disk.

You say "unable to read disc." That’s got to be a duff disk you got there. I’m assuming you’re going to the game channel and you never get as far as the Super Mario galaxy start up screen; just the to disks spinning with the end result a question mark Spinning in the middle and "unable to read disc" message.

Do the obvious (if not already done so) and try another back up (another game you knew was working) just to make sure the 1.9g firmware was a success. If so, re-burn the SMG iso and make sure you don’t regionfrii or brick block it and that; in this instance, it’s your own region version i.e. NTSC / PAL or whatever your console is. Use imgburn and burn at 4x speed don’t rush it of at 16x there’s no need to. Remember just because your burner may be capable of doing it faster and the wii be able to read it you will find a more stable fault free disk if you do it slow.

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You may have messed up the update. Make sure your originals run fine, then check if other backups still run.

Wicked Mind

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Since you can't reach the game menu's at all I suggest trying other backups you know worked before. If they don't run either you should try and update your firmware.

If they do, just burn another backup at 4x like reecarno stated and try again.
A little trail and error should do the trick.

(Any chance this unable-to-read-disc-problem is brand- or mediacode-related?)

fixmyjapwii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well... I'm really boggled
I'm on a genuine WiiKey, I assume due to the sticker and the patches working (I'm also the guy who has the world's weirdest Wii issues...)
I'm on a 2.2j semi, still.
I've run all updates, and while 1.9g has strangely allowed me to play a bunch of games which wouldn't load before (eg: 0079, godfather, bw2, umbrella, bba, etc), smg still won't work.
I'm totally fine with the ntsc-j version, and I'm on an ntsc-j machine, so there should be no problems, right?
Well, I have seven smg discs burnt now, all at varying speeds; however NONE of them sill start. the firmware update ran too, and I still cannot access settings, so... so much for that idea.
When SMG-J is inserted I get the boot up screen, and when I click start it loads for a bit and then says the disc is invalid/unreadable (in mario fonts); I try rotating through all the discs, much like I do with Metroid, and none of them are readable. any ideas?

I'm at the point where I almost want to just restart the Wii's original settings... if I were to do that and then re-run all the patches, any idea if this would work or not? I'd have to copy my army of miis to a few wiimotes (why they cannot be copied to sd cards, I dunno...), and back up my saves; but theoretically this should work, right? Any other solutions?

I cannot play smg, nor go online (cannot get to settings, remember), and this is all rather silly.... ideas... anybody??

So thank you to the Wiikey team for 1.9g, which strangely allows me to play everything but Galaxy (when my system wouldn't play all before).

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
if you're on 2.2 still how can you expect to run mario? Did you brick your settings thru SMG or before? quite unclear
tongue.gif
And you were on 2.2, semi-bricked, when you tried to update thru galaxy?
What media are you using for mario? (brand and burnspeed)

fixmyjapwii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if you're on 2.2 still how can you expect to run mario? Did you brick your settings thru SMG or before? quite unclear
tongue.gif

Thx for reply Manias

So, I believe I got truely semi-bricked with everyone back in the SMStrikers release (hardly worth it...), and since then was unable to update from 2.2 due to the settings being locked. SMG was supposed to be my savior with firmware 3; guess not, hey? SO, I was on a semi-2.2J, and I ran the 1.9g patch, and then did the smg update. And while I'm technically getting 'into' the game, the 'fail to read' screens before the title (which I've still never seen) are disconcerting to say the least.
The thing I don't get is that while my burning isn't working for SMG, it works for everything else. so far with SMG I've tried one brand x dvd (high quality tho), a few TDK+/-Rs @ all speeds, and a few -Rs at all speeds, all speeds is 1,2,4,8. None of those discs work.
God Father is a good example (and an okay gta rip off): until the 1.9g patch my Wii gave me load errors, same with Metroid; and Fifa'08 still does. So it's likely an issue with my Wiikey/initial upgrading?

That's why I'm considering resetting the firmware -from scratch. I mean, if I copy my miis and saves, couldn't I just resetup the Wii with 1.9g and have no problems across the board?

I'm lost
rofl2.gif

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i didn't think you could default back to the initial wii firmware

but if you were getting load errors with other games too, that points to bad media or a bad burner

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
tongue.gif

Thx for reply Manias

So, I believe I got truely semi-bricked with everyone back in the SMStrikers release (hardly worth it...), and since then was unable to update from 2.2 due to the settings being locked. SMG was supposed to be my savior with firmware 3; guess not, hey? SO, I was on a semi-2.2J, and I ran the 1.9g patch, and then did the smg update. And while I'm technically getting 'into' the game, the 'fail to read' screens before the title (which I've still never seen) are disconcerting to say the least.
The thing I don't get is that while my burning isn't working for SMG, it works for everything else. so far with SMG I've tried one brand x dvd (high quality tho), a few TDK+/-Rs @ all speeds, and a few -Rs at all speeds, all speeds is 1,2,4,8. None of those discs work.
God Father is a good example (and an okay gta rip off): until the 1.9g patch my Wii gave me load errors, same with Metroid; and Fifa'08 still does. So it's likely an issue with my Wiikey/initial upgrading?

That's why I'm considering resetting the firmware -from scratch. I mean, if I copy my miis and saves, couldn't I just resetup the Wii with 1.9g and have no problems across the board?

I'm lost
rofl2.gif
if you got bricked by 2.2 then you could also try metroid, as it has 3.0. You cannot downgrade wii firmware. If you format your wii you format the data stored like things you downloaded, NOT the firmware.
Your console is japanese originally? bought in japan?

fixmyjapwii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tongue.gif

Thx for reply Manias

I'm lost
rofl2.gif
if you got bricked by 2.2 then you could also try metroid, as it has 3.0. You cannot downgrade wii firmware. If you format your wii you format the data stored like things you downloaded, NOT the firmware.
Your console is japanese originally? bought in japan?

Yes, I'm sorta from Japan; it's the first unit sold out of Shinjuku actually - I was in the paper and shit for getting it - lol. I've been playing metroid since it came out - the NTSC-U version, I thought that didn't upgrade the firmware(?); and since the metroid update I was also unable to get to the Wii settings; I doubt an ntsc-j metroid would help since my ntsc-j smg doesn't....
If I were using a wiikey clone, the patches & bootdiscs wouldn't work, right? How about the sticker (I don't doubt it'd be easy to just buy those stickers)?
Am I just completely SOL? One person messaged me to only use Verbatim -Rs, but not one of the 20/30+ games I have working is on such a disc, so I doubt that'd matter.....
In metroid's case, I have five discs, and it's a toss up as to which will read, and I usually have to swap them around once or twice to start up, Mario doesn't seem to wanna play by those rules. Has no1 else run into this problem?
Thx
hate2.gif

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the hologram sticker isn't enough anymore, some clones have also shipped with those. You can even buy them online :/
And the metroid game had an update, hence the need for the "metroid trick" which was born back then for pal users to play the ntsc metroid. Did you brick with a US metroid then?
It's quite the unique problem you have I gather, usually you hear about people bricking on, say, US metroid, then fixing that with a japanese mario, and it's all good! (or with that soccer game and fixing it with japanese metroid)
But the fact that now after the update you can recognize metroid.. but not after 1.9B.. sounds weird, and doesn't really point towards a normal wiikey

fixmyjapwii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the hologram sticker isn't enough anymore, some clones have also shipped with those. You can even buy them online :/
And the metroid game had an update, hence the need for the "metroid trick" which was born back then for pal users to play the ntsc metroid. Did you brick with a US metroid then?
It's quite the unique problem you have I gather, usually you hear about people bricking on, say, US metroid, then fixing that with a japanese mario, and it's all good! (or with that soccer game and fixing it with japanese metroid)
But the fact that now after the update you can recognize metroid.. but not after 1.9B.. sounds weird, and doesn't really point towards a normal wiikey

I'm starting to think the same thing... can the clone be replaced with a regular official wiikey I wonder?
this is getting tedious but as my second language is JP I'd like to keep the JP Wii....
I can't believe I seem to be the only person in the large network of modders with this issue.
AS OF TODAY reflashing 1.9b allows metroid to run but NOW 1.9g doesn't...
so since I'm 64% through it, I'm gonna keep my wii in 1.9b mode unless I'm playing 0079
*bangs head

fixmyjapwii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So... if I'm ditching my wiikey, I'll get a new wiikey and hope it works; it won't destroy my board... will it?
first thing I'd do is see if it's genuine and if it can just be rehooked up or something... confusing...
this is the first Wii outta Shinjuku; very important to me
tongue.gif

geek like that

Wicked Mind

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So... if I'm ditching my wiikey, I'll get a new wiikey and hope it works; it won't destroy my board... will it?
first thing I'd do is see if it's genuine and if it can just be rehooked up or something... confusing...
this is the first Wii outta Shinjuku; very important to me
tongue.gif

geek like that

I find your issue hard to understand..
Replacing a Wiikey with another Wiikey with the same firmware probably won't fix your problem I guess...

Anyway, replacing your modchip won't wreck your board.

Just be very gentle removing the chip, try to keep your solderpoints in shape.

I once pulled 3 inch of very thin copper out of my v1.6 xbox while "replacing" a chip..
I got the motherboard working again, but it was hell
rofl2.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1