Gaming Year-old 360 has been getting a TON of disk read errors lately...

Hachibei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, so, I've owned my 360 for exactly 1 year now, and lately it's been getting a ridiculous amount of disk read errors ("The disk could not be read, please clean the disk, blah blah blah..."), even though all of my game disks are practically flawless. I tried installing games to the HD, but apparently my 360 can't last 10 whole minutes of rigorous disk reading action. What options do I have at this point? Should I just suck it up and bear with it? At this point, I'm willing to open it up to tinker around in it, even though it'll cost me that additional 2 years of RROD protection. But, if I open it up for this annoying problem, then I could just open it up again if/when I get the RROD.

So, any advice? I'm a complete n00b when it comes to modding consoles and stuff like that.

Hachibei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Blue Zoidberg said:
Sounds like your DVD drive's lens is out of whack or dirty.
Try cleaning it and if it's still under warranty send it back.

I thought it had something to do with that, something similar happened to my PS2. How would I clean it without taking it apart?

Technik

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Buy a disk cleaning thing at target or gamestop. I know its hard work hopefully you can pass the horrible road *echo effect * road road

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sometimes my 360 reads discs as DVDs and it gets annoying as they won't boot. I have two options:
-Eject the disc tray and close it until it recognises it as a game/ turn it off/on likewise.
-Break out the old cd with bristles on to clean the lense.

Sometimes I don't have a problem with it I just eject it and close it and it works fine. Half the time it works immediately.
But the brush cd always always fixes it first time.

I think my solution can fix your problem too.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
I had a problem recently with an old Sega Saturn that wouldn't read disks and kept locking up during the bootup screen sequence.

Can of compressed air sorted that baby out - was caused by dust under the circuit boards.

Might be worth a try if you decide to crack open your 360..........

Hachibei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DeadLocked said:
Sometimes my 360 reads discs as DVDs and it gets annoying as they won't boot. I have two options:
-Eject the disc tray and close it until it recognises it as a game/ turn it off/on likewise.

This happens to me occasionally too, it's kinda weird how it tells you to put the disk in a 360 for it to work, rofl.

I remember having a drive cleaner somewhere around my house, I'll give that a shot.

EDIT: Well, the drive cleaner explicitly stated NOT to use it with any gaming consoles, so I tried something else: changing the orientation of the machine from vertical to horizontal. I think it worked, because I just finished a 6-ish hour session of Star Ocean with no issues.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Get a load from this guy lol. +1