Gaming XBOX 360..NEW AND NEED ASSISTANCE

Halo-101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heyy gbatemp.well i wanted to buy a xbox360 and be able to run backups from either my pc hardrive and stream to the 360 like Opl FOR ps2 .or run backups from harddrive also do the same with original xbox games..but i dont have a clue.

so what i want to know is where to get a fairly good,cheap 360 and what chip,prechiped or items to use in it to be able to run backups,also would like a harddrive installed or seperate..but can only buy from australian sites or from australia.

and also unsure about items named Freeboot And Jtag.

a help guide and instructions and actual console and all items necessary help would be appreciated thanks

-Halo-101

BTW i found 2 premodded jtag 360s on oztion for 500 dollars each..?

mocalacace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only way to run 360 games off of your hard drive (without the disc of course) is if you have a JTAG'd console. They are pretty hard to find nowadays, and dont expect to be playing xbox live on it.

Alternatively you can flash the DVD drive. With this you can burn games to DVD's and you can use xbox live.

For a JTAG you can expect to pay over $200 based on which motherboard version you get.

Halo-101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so a premodded jtag 360 would alow me to play backup games without online access and no disc?.....is there a app or HB or anyway to play the games from PC HD? and can i play normal XBox games from HD aswell..? also is there any 360 AP?

Dreamboy21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Halo-101 said:
so a premodded jtag 360 would alow me to play backup games without online access and no disc?.....is there a app or HB or anyway to play the games from PC HD? and can i play normal XBox games from HD aswell..? also is there any 360 AP?

well yeah you can run games from your hard drive in a jtag xbox 360 with xex loader, im not so sure about normal xbox but you can always softmod your xbox 360 dvd drive firmware with ixtreme lt+ to play dvd9 converted normal xbox games, or to just play a normal xbox 360 backup dvd disk. There's a new Antipiracy it's called AP25, it comes with new games like COD Black Ops, assassins creed brotherhood, and a few more games have it, but you can always patch your games with the lastest version of agbx 360
wink.gif

Halo-101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dreamboy21 said:
Halo-101 said:

well yeah you can run games from your hard drive in a jtag xbox 360 with xex loader, im not so sure about normal xbox but you can always softmod your xbox 360 dvd drive firmware with ixtreme lt+ to play dvd9 converted normal xbox games, or to just play a normal xbox 360 backup dvd disk. There's a new Antipiracy it's called AP25, it comes with new games like COD Black Ops, assassins creed brotherhood, and a few more games have it, but you can always patch your games with the lastest version of agbx 360
wink.gif

ok kool thanks..also is there a 360 coverflow kinda app? and so i can have a jtag 360 with xex loader,and ixtreme It+ and then download the XBOX iso and burn it onto a DVD5 and put the DVD5 into the 360 and itll work? ..burning using IMGBurn OfCourse.

Dreamboy21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Halo-101 said:
Dreamboy21 said:
Halo-101 said:

wink.gif

ok kool thanks..also is there a 360 coverflow kinda app? and so i can have a jtag 360 with xex loader,and ixtreme It+ and then download the XBOX iso and burn it onto a DVD5 and put the DVD5 into the 360 and itll work? ..burning using IMGBurn OfCourse.

its has to be in dvd9 in order to work, yup imgburn at 2.4x speed
wink.gif

check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcT739P3W0s

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah it is JTAG or nothing if you want hard drive loading. The WODE people were attempting to make something for the 360 but nothing has been heard about it for ages so most ignore it.

You can load original xbox games on the 360 and JTAG hacks (or indeed hacked emulators) make it better than stock but I still suggest you source an original xbox and hack that (you can do it for nothing with the hotswap hack or if you do want some things then softmod kits cost about $20 at most).
If you are going for DVDs then it is DVD9 or nothing really. Do remember many if not nearly all original xbox releases were hacked in some way so they are no good for non JTAG 360s- not everywhere carries the new 360 compatible original xbox game releases (indeed most people make their own).

No chance of a network loader or some form of strap to load from a hard drive in a PC. You can use an external hard drive for this though if the internal hard drive is not enough (with a JTAG machine you can stick any laptop sata drive in there you like- most games hover around the 5 to 8 gig mark although there are examples of far bigger and far smaller).

Coverflow..... assuming you are not doing GOD installs (what many opt for) which you can load like an arcade game then yeah there are a bunch of loaders. The big two are xexmenu and freestyle dash. Xexmenu is a bit like neogamma- quick, simple and very good. Freestyle dash is also very good but it has nice pictures to look at for the 30 seconds you use to browse to your chosen game.

AP25 does not trouble JTAG machines- you just hack the dashboard to remove it.

I believe a couple of our Australian members were selling JTAG 360s as well in the trading section a little while back.

As you asked

JTAG- the name of a debugging protocol and one that is used to hack 360s. Blocked by MS about a year and a half ago (hence the high price of such machines).

Freeboot- you can not just load a hacked dash on the 360 but you can soft reboot into a hacked dash (it might take an extra second to load as opposed to a stock machine). Freeboot is the "program" that sorts this out. There have been others but this is the current one.

Halo-101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XBOX 360 Pro Jasper,JTAG,Freeboot v0.04 - 2.0.12611 Kinect Dashboard,LT+1.1,500GB HDD

$550 AUS.

Will this have the hacked Dashboard Update for AP25 Bypass Thing Or Will I Have To Do It using:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOanRKWl-Ek

.And Freestyle Dash Will allow me to view covers of my games and launch...from H/D without disk?

Thanks In Advance All.

-Halo-101

And could I Play Plants.vs Zombies,Bulletstorm,ACB,Black Ops..ETC.thnx so much

Also...will PAL Games work on it if it is A NTSC Console And will NTSC Games work on it if it is a PAL Console?

Halo-101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also How to Play .ISOS?

to my understanding its get the transfer kit for internal HDD get the HD connected to PC using ISO2GOD Convert ISO2God format and put new folder in Hdd1:\Content000000000000000\FOLDERNAME or Hdd1:\Games\GAMENAME

Then Freestyle Dash will see your God file/game and you can browse the coverflowish view of FSD and Play your game in GOD format????

is this correct? or is there a way FSD Can Read just plain .ISO's and if so where to put the ISOs And How?

And How to automatically Boot FSD?

Thnx in advance i know these are a lot of questions but once these get answered i can hopefully figure out the rest myself
tongue.gif
.much appreciated

-------------
Halo-101

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This has been covered in far more depth elsewhere and as it is 3am again my reply at least will not have that much info.

Still
First things first- there are ways around it but when it comes down to is most 360 hacking tools are less than legit and to save issues with MS they are hosted on a semi private network called xbins. You can join manually but that is annoying when you just want a couple of files so we have autoxbins ( http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/Ek...pAFGWFFStWd.php - I have not tested this version/link but you can search for another if that falls short).

Regarding your dashlaunch question- no idea. It is not hard to install if it is not though (as of a few versions back it is all in software and no real fiddling with the NAND).

The 360 for the most part does not care where games come from- HDD1 is the same as DVD which is the same as USB in the location names as far as it is concerned. You might have to patch a game on rare occasion (probably using a program called xextool) but most launchers take care of that.

The two big methods for running 360 games on JTAG machines (after running them from discs) are extracted ISO and GOD install. There are variations on both of these and loads of tricks but I will keep it simple for now. No plain iso running here.

For the most part it is all about FTP on the 360. Even if you have a USB drive people still plump for FTP.
You will need an FTP client for this.
http://filezilla-project.org/ or if you prefer not to install anything http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/filezilla_portable but try others if you want.
The 360 dash itself does not have an FTP client but just about everything else does (especially things like xexmenu and freestyle dash). Assuming you are not using a USB drive just about everything happens on "partition3" (saves, games, XBLA, DLC).
Regarding USB there are two main things-
the May 2010 USB updates- this allows you to make a 16 gig file on a USB drive that the 360 will use for saving and profiles (also data transfer but you have a JTAG 360 with FTP so that is no fun any more)
JTAG style USB- this is a standard USB drive.

ISO2GOD is the main (only?) program used to turn isos into GOD files. You take these GOD files (or more accurate the entire directory structure) and stick them in /partition3/content/0000000000000000/
It makes things a bit complex if you want to apply hacks but for your troubles you usually have an install that works regardless (AP25 was about the only exception) and appears without issue in the main 360 menu.

/partition3/content/0000000000000000/ is also where you stick XBLA, DLC and indie game content.
To save you asking technically the layout is /partition3/content/0000000000000000/// ( http://360.kingla.com/ has a whole bunch of examples)- this means the game has a folder and anything associated with it (usually DLC or addons) has a folder within it so do not worry if your program pops up with existing directory.
There was a custom dash that allowed XBLA from USB called 360 dashit but the big two of xexmenu and FSD do not allow it as far as I know (I have not checked FSD in a while but I imagine they have more pressing issues at the moment).
On the subject of DLC you will usually need to be on the title update from when it was released- 360 games can be patched to fix bugs and what have you. http://xbuc.net/ has these and filetrip has a few (as an when I have time and can stand the boredom it will have the rest of the big collection I have sitting on my hard drive).

After this you can extract the entire iso file into the files that make it up and stick it on a USB drive or your xbox hard drive. You then launch this with a custom dashboard like xexmenu or freestyle dash. They have preferred directories (GAMES on the root of the drive if memory serves- it is all in the NFO for the programs) but you can just as easily browse to another.

Original xbox games- the 360 lacks the hardware to play original xbox games but it does do a fairly mean line in emulation. 500 gig drive is probably a hacked one so it might not have the emulator onboard. Better yet there is a hacked emulator (be warned there are a few versions so make sure you have the latest one) you can install (it goes on HDDX) that allows unsigned original xbox code and a few other choice hacks. I still suggest you get an original xbox and hack that (far better compatibility- official compatibility lists are not so good and even hacked stuff does not do much better and ultimately an original xbox is considerably less hassle).
You can make them into GOD installs (you will need a newer iso2god to do it or another program the name of which escapes me at this point) but much like the others you can also use one of the old xbox iso programs likw qwix or c- xbox tool.

Plants.vs Zombies is XBLA as far as I am aware- yes

Bulletstorm - I played it yesterday on mine

ACB and Black Ops- assuming you have patched AP25 then yes.

"Also...will PAL Games work on it if it is A NTSC Console And will NTSC Games work on it if it is a PAL Console? "

Region free- it is one of the main perks of this sort of thing. Many games on the 360 are not region locked anyway but JTAG takes care of the few that are.

How to autolaunch- dashlaunch's original mandate was to autolaunch things. Granted it gained a load of other awesome features over the course of things but it still has such abilities (you put an ini file in a given location

Covers- sure. I do not care for such things though (a lot of hassle for the 10 seconds at most it takes to find and press launch) so I am not going to be that much help on that subject. Apparently videos (some low ish res WMV up to a few megs in size) can also happen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: as to you