Would it be possible to downgrade games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Flashing older firmware on a bad-S/N switch is an instant no-no, but what about downgrading GAMES? I'd assume digital ones are also a no-no, but the cartridge data is permanently written on a ROM with no way to rewrite, so there's no way the Switch could write update data to the cartridge.

(damn, if only an exploit was found for units with the bad S/N...)

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
And if you want cfw so bad, for the hundredth time just sell your current switch, pay the difference and buy an unpatched one
If it was that easy to explain to my parents, I would 100% do it. "Hey mom, hey dad, I want to sell my current, perfectly fine Switch to buy one with a lower S/N so I can install homebrew and possibly get it banned from online services.". Omitting the homebrew part also isn't going to work because they'd ask how exactly is a low S/N better than a high one.

I had to justify homebrew on my 3DS and convince them that Nintendo doesn't ban 3DS consoles anymore, and that one didn't cost ANYTHING to homebrew.

Nearly bricking a Wii U also isn't going to add points. If only I tried to restart the console too instead of only the gamepad...

Reactions: SylverReZ

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I love how you answered your own question in the first post. You can downgrade games on a non-cfw console by deleting the software data. But if the cartridge is however version 1.1, you're SOL.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it was that easy to explain to my parents, I would 100% do it. "Hey mom, hey dad, I want to sell my current, perfectly fine Switch to buy one with a lower S/N so I can install homebrew and possibly get it banned from online services.". Omitting the homebrew part also isn't going to work because they'd ask how exactly is a low S/N better than a high one.

I had to justify homebrew on my 3DS and convince them that Nintendo doesn't ban 3DS consoles anymore, and that one didn't cost ANYTHING to homebrew.

Nearly bricking a Wii U also isn't going to add points. If only I tried to restart the console too instead of only the gamepad...

So you're saying you'd subject yourself to the violent dangers of the Chicago streets because your home-life is unsatisfying?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I specifically said "bad-S/N". If I had a good-S/N one, I wouldn't ask for stuff like that.
Not exactly clear what you meant by bad S/N, at first glance it sounds like you meant a banned Switch.
There is no way to downgrade games without a hacked Switch.
Even formatting the console won't get rid of the downloaded version list, and will just leave the games unplayable until updated again.

Easy to explain. Just tell them with a hackable unit you'll be able to install games for free and they won't need to buy you expensive games for birthdays and Christmas anymore. It shouldn't take much convincing.

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia

Like stated many times, that is your only option apart from waiting for an exploit that probably won't happen

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
So you're saying you'd subject yourself to the violent dangers of the Chicago streets because your home-life is unsatisfying?
I don't get it. Homebrew is literally better in every single way than stock. It's more like going to Japan because I'm bored of European life.
Post automatically merged:

Not exactly clear what you meant by bad S/N, at first glance it sounds like you meant a banned Switch.
There is no way to downgrade games without a hacked Switch.

Easy to explain. Just tell them with a hackable unit you'll be able to install games for free and they won't need to buy you expensive games for birthdays and Christmas anymore. It shouldn't take much convincing.
That argument doesn't work on them anymore. I blew it with that Wii U.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't get it. Homebrew is literally better in every single way than stock. It's more like going to Japan because I'm bored of European life.
I don't get what you mean. Just ask for an unpatched, low serial number Switch. Then you'll be able to perform the RCM exploit and install CFW, homebrew and free games ofc without having to install a modchip.
Post automatically merged:

Here's a guide to get you started: https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/

Reactions: binkinator

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

you really need to move on and stop torturing yourself about not having a modded switch, as everyone on this forum are aware you either don't want to get a modchip installed or buy a V1 switch due to everyone being "shady" and costing too much money. i've lost count for the reasons you have given why you cannot source a moddable switch, instead you clog the forum up with useless posts like above. you know the where the scene is and it's not changing anytime soon.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree.
I was thinking more along the lines of running away from home and joining the circus.
Then nobody can tell you what to do and you can sell your Mariko and buy an Erista.
Barring that you’ll have to buy a modchip for your Mariko.
🤡

• Haha

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flashing older firmware on a bad-S/N switch is an instant no-no, but what about downgrading GAMES? I'd assume digital ones are also a no-no, but the cartridge data is permanently written on a ROM with no way to rewrite, so there's no way the Switch could write update data to the cartridge.

(damn, if only an exploit was found for units with the bad S/N...)

On unmodded switch it is a no no, on modded switch you can delete ticket associated with the update so you can go back to lower update version for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sorry I sat on them when they were open
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: So that version is semi rare