Woman fined $1.92 million for sharing 24 songs!?

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't remember the details on the original case, but did she even exactly set this up or was it someone else who was using her login. I really can't remember.

Either way the original court case was for a lot less but turned over due to so-called messup of giving the jury instructions and the new one slaps this on the lady who will never probably earn that in her life time and it's disgusting. The total against her as far as the laws of this land go at the constitutional level I'd dare call illegal as there are clauses against unfair bail, judgement, and so on out of someones means.

She'll just end up heading into bankruptcy and not paying a goddamn thing (or little of it) to those thieves at the RIAA.

OH and pinpong had it 1/2 right. It wasn't paying 3-5000 dollars total, it was 3-5000 dollars A PIECE for each of the 24 tunes. Sure hell of a lot less than nearly 2million but even that smaller total was beyond her means so she fought it and got roasted.

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
I bet it was her kids
tongue.gif

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
this is not because she downloaded the songs read the whole article
QUOTE said:
In the latest trial, a federal jury in Minneapolis ruled that she must pay $1.92 million for willful infringement of the recording industry's copyrights by posting the music on the file-sharing site Kazaa.

benjaminlibl

Funky Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
This is ridiculous.

I don't understand a lot about law, so.. I wish someone would explain to me how these fines work. It seems the court always makes the amount insanely high, and then you appeal to get it lower. Why don't they just set a reasonable amount and make it unappealable?

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good question. That has always thrown me off a bit too.

Here's a tasty nugget I remembered from when I did a BA in Poly Sci from my Constitutional Law course.

US Constitution Article 8 - Ratified 12/15/1791

"Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted."

You can follow to the wiki link for the details. But basically it says what it says in the quote above word for word. Essentially looking at the financial viability of the loser in court, the courts can not stiff someone with overkill bail they can't afford, nor can the stiff someone with a fine so great they can't dig themselves out from under it.

This woman has nearly a 2M fine slapped on her, and she's a (if I remember right) a single mother with a part time job who barely can make ends meet. Does that dismiss her from doing what she did...hell no. But, given the facts, and her educational background, burdens (low pay and kids, bills, etc) she'll likely never make 2M in her lifetime. Odds are the settlement will be grossly reduced in the appeal because this stupid settlement grossly breaches the 8th amendment to the US Constitution.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
My thoughts: there exist filesharing organizations who WILL PAY for your fines or will pay for your lawyers if you wish to counter the charge. Ppl should contact them.

Sanderino

I guess you only know what you got 'till it's gone
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah I heard that.. Really sad if you ask me. Her life is ruined now, all of her life she needs to work to repay that company. That's really really sad..

worlok375

GBAtemp's prince
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sanderino said:
Yeah I heard that.. Really sad if you ask me. Her life is ruined now, all of her life she needs to work to repay that company. That's really really sad..

Even I a teen future attorney could get THAT overthrown seriously, that's crap I think we need to get the ruling overturned and then have the record companies fined at least one or two million for wasting the courts time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @linuxares, Yarr harr fiddle dee dee. Being a pirate is alright to be.