Hacking Wiiscrubber 1.0a and Mario Kart

Dack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bad news:

Code in 1.0a has an issue with the third partition (the installer one).
frown.gif

As a result the data in the partition is not marked as used.

This came down to an error in the code with the calculation of the partition offset. (A 32 bit calculation was carried out instead of a 64 bit one). As a result it tried reading from the wrong location in the disc and the TMD was not read correctly etc. It's why it put up an error in the log about it and the partition showed as empty.

Slightly Better news:
Bug has been fixed and now works correctly.
Wiiscrubber 1.1 beta has the capability of recreating data that has been scrubbed out by the use of DIF files.
A .DIF file of about 40 Meg can add back in the missing data

I'll release the beta version to everyone at some point this afternoon and imagine that a DIF file for the missing data will appear on the newsgroups at some point this evening
wink.gif

tW34k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Can you please explain this so it may make sense to me?
tongue.gif

I'm playing a scrubbed Mario kart on my Wii. Everything works but installing the Channel.

Dack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It means that part of the data wasn't copied to the scrubbed version of the disc. The part that is missing is the channel installer that lies in the third partition.

Using the 1.1 version and a DIF file you can modify the 2.9 Gig image thats floating around to include the channel installer.

tW34k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I see. Well, good work!

You sure there is nothing else that is stripped from the scrubb'd version?

ricadoe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Thanks a lot Dack. I'm downloading the scrubbed version and I don't want to download the unscrubbed version again because of the slow internet connection. However, I've been reading about this channel thing. May I ask what is it for? Is it for online racing? Nevertheless, thanks a lot for ur effort.

stormyuan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Thx for Dack's info. & Wiiscrubber

Mario Kart can play without Mario.Kart.Channel
and I'll wait for your wiiscrubber1.1

Dack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ricadoe said:
Thanks a lot Dack. I'm downloading the scrubbed version and I don't want to download the unscrubbed version again because of the slow internet connection. However, I've been reading about this channel thing. May I ask what is it for? Is it for online racing? Nevertheless, thanks a lot for ur effort.

The thing is you would just need to download the DIF file (32 Meg) then run the 1.1 scrubber to patch it back into the image.

What the update does if give you a mario kart channel on the menu - believe this shows leaderboards etc.

Whats85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is it true that when nintendo fix the trucha bug with a new firmware, all the scrubbed games will stop working?

Dack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Someone has already put a specially tweaked DIF file up on alt.binaries.boneless I believe
wink.gif

The reason for the increased size of yours is that it contains ALL of the scrubbed data and not just the necessary ones for the 'patch'. Mario Kart is a special case in that it needs a modified dif file as the scrubbed one was created with version 1.0a

Format of the DIF file is:

1 byte = 0 or 0xFF.
0 indicates that the next 32k of data in the (compress) file is to be used to construct the original
0xFF indicates that the DIF file contains the data and should be used instead

i.e. 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0xFF, < 32K of data >, 0xFF, , 0,0,0,0,0

would mean the first 13 blocks are marked as valid for the compress file, the next two have been scrubbed and so replace them with the 32k blocks in the dif file, the next 5 are valid for the compress etc.

The way the unscrub works then is it uses the DIF file to decide how to create the new 'unscrubbed' file.:

How it works:
Both Compress and DIF file are opened and a new unscrubbed one is created

while not end of compress file
{
read 32K block from compress
read 1 byte from dif
if dif = 0xFF read 32k from dif file and write to output
otherwise write 32k we read in from compress file out
}

You also don't need the key.bin to unscrub

Dack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The software was actually named after the character played by Adrienne Posta in the film "Up Pompeii"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill