Hacking WiiFlow setting for video mode: system vs game?

comokepa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I had assumed that if one did not want to force specific a video mode to games, WiiFlow's settings of video mode set to "system" would do just that, as in "let the game read the Wii system settings as any game on a non-hacked Wii would do".

Yet, on my PAL Wii, connected to the TV with a component cable, and set to 480p resolution, 4 out of the ~80 games I have as .wbfs on a FAT32 external drive will boot to a black screen and stay there forever with that setting. If I change it to "game" instead of "system", they run. But what does "game" there mean, considering that most games can run and do run at the video mode the Wii settings are set to (i.e. most can natively run at different resolutions)?

Those games are:
  • Fatal Frame 4 (patched with translation) [JA]
  • Hajimete no Wii [JA]
  • Shape Boxing [JA] (will not run with either "system" nor "game")
  • Shape Boxing 2 [JA]
  • Wii Fit Plus [JA]
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess [US]
I have some other US and JA games, and they do not present these problems.

So what do "system" and "game" do, respectively?

Zonta85

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Italy
I had assumed that if one did not want to force specific a video mode to games, WiiFlow's settings of video mode set to "system" would do just that, as in "let the game read the Wii system settings as any game on a non-hacked Wii would do".

Yet, on my PAL Wii, connected to the TV with a component cable, and set to 480p resolution, 4 out of the ~80 games I have as .wbfs on a FAT32 external drive will boot to a black screen and stay there forever with that setting. If I change it to "game" instead of "system", they run. But what does "game" there mean, considering that most games can run and do run at the video mode the Wii settings are set to (i.e. most can natively run at different resolutions)?

Those games are:
  • Fatal Frame 4 (patched with translation) [JA]
  • Hajimete no Wii [JA]
  • Shape Boxing [JA] (will not run with either "system" nor "game")
  • Shape Boxing 2 [JA]
  • Wii Fit Plus [JA]
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess [US]
I have some other US and JA games, and they do not present these problems.

So what do "system" and "game" do, respectively?

I dom't use wiiflow (i prefere usb loader gx) but i've noticed that all of these games are not PAL, so i can assume that this happens because choosing "system" you're trying to run this games (that are from other regions with different video modes than your PAL wii system) with a video mode that the system doesn't support (but some other games from USA and JAP do).
For this reason, when you choose the "game" mode they run correctly, i assume that is becwuse they boot in their natively video mode.

Especially fatal frame translated is a pain in the ass to configure for a correct booting.

comokepa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I had assumed choosing a resolution of 576 or 480 (Wii settings options on a PAL console with component cables are 576i, 480i and 480p) was implicitly setting the console to PAL or NTSC video modes since those are their respective resolution. You are saying PAL 480 is a thing?

And in either case, again, considering that most games can usually at the very least run at either interlaced or progressive modes, what is "game" supposed to force the Wii to?

Last edited by comokepa,

Zonta85

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Italy
I had assumed choosing a resolution of 576 or 480 (Wii settings options on a PAL console with component cables are 576i, 480i and 480p) was implicitly setting the console to PAL or NTSC video modes since those are their respective resolution. You are saying PAL 480 is a thing?

And in either case, again, considering that most games can usually at the very least run at either interlaced or progressive modes, what is "game" supposed to force the Wii to?

Maybe is noth something about the resokution, but about the colors.
If i remember well during the old times, prior to the gc/wii without the proper cable was impossible to properly show some import games in television, or they were showed in black and white.

I'm only trying to guess, m0but yours is an interesting question and i think that it deservers further researches, i will google later.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I always wondered how the autobots could afford to do the stuff they did on the show.... now I... +1