Hacking Wii + UsbLoader GX: Emunand stopped working?

thecubicgamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not sure what happened, last time I booted it up (couple of days ago) all my Wiiware games on the emunand were working. Now they either reboot to USBLoader GX or to Homebrew Channel. The emunand is stored on an external hardrive. I think the entire emunand is not working anymore because it also stopped saving my games to emunand and just puts my games saves back on Wii nand. Not sure what to do to get it back up and running. Appreciate any help I can get and will reply with more details if needed.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
did you update usbloadergx? I released 1271 last month.
maybe you reset your settings? intentionally or not.
I edited the default path for emuNAND (from nand/ to nands/01/), but it shouldn't affect you if you didn't reset the settings. if it did, please verify all your paths and settings :

usbloadergx > settings > custom path > emuNAND folder (both for save and channel if you share the same emuNAND for both options).
or move your emuNAND folder to a "01" subfolder if you often reset the settings so it'll match yours.

if games are saved to wii, maybe your loader setting is not good either :
check here :
usbloadergx > settings > loader's settings > emuNAND Save <-- this one is used to redirect wii disc based games (disc or wbfs). partial or full.
usbloadergx > settings > loader's settings > emuNAND channel <-- this one is used to launch WAD channels on emuNAND. be sure to keep this one to "full"

Last edited by Cyan,

thecubicgamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
did you update usbloadergx? I released 1271 last month.
maybe you reset your settings? intentionally or not.
I edited the default path for emuNAND (from nand/ to nands/01/), but it shouldn't affect you if you didn't reset the settings. if it did, please verify all your paths and settings :

usbloadergx > settings > custom path > emuNAND folder (both for save and channel if you share the same emuNAND for both options).

if games are saved to wii, maybe your loader setting is not good either :
check here :
usbloadergx > settings > loader's settings > emuNAND Save <-- this one is used to redirect wii disc based games (disc or wbfs). partial or full.
usbloadergx > settings > loader's settings > emuNAND channel <-- this one is used to launch WAD channels on emuNAND. be sure to keep this one to "full"

Thank you for the quick reply!
I have not updated since the last time they were working. I am currently on Rev1268. In my Loader Settings, nand Saves Emulation and Nand Chan. Emulation are set to Full (yet it still saves to the wii). So I believe all my settings and paths are as they should be. Both Nand Emu Channel Path and Nand Emu Path use "usb1:/nands/nand1" which is what is what set to while it was working.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
maybe you plugged your drive in the wrong usb port?
if you use IOS58 in the loader it can list both ports content while inside the loader, but when you launch a channel on emuNAND or launch a wii game on USB it reloads to cIOS and uses only Port0 (bottom port on Wii, back-top on WiiU)

for other users looking for informations, there are cIOS working with Port1 too, but emuNAND is not good with these cIOS :
hermes v4/5.1
d2x v9 beta
v2x v10beta (r53)

it's best to use d2x v10 (non beta, r52) if you don't need to use both usb ports at the same time.

Last edited by Cyan,

thecubicgamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if you use IOS58 in the loader it can list both ports content while inside the loader, but when you launch a channel on emuNAND or launch a wii game on USB it reloads to cIOS and uses only Port0 (bottom port on Wii, back-top on WiiU)

for other users looking for informations, there are cIOS working with Port1 too, but emuNAND is not good with these cIOS :
hermes v4/5.1
d2x v9 beta
v2x v10beta (r53)

it's best to use d2x v10 (non beta, r52) if you don't need to use both usb ports at the same time.

My drive is using a Y-cable but the main USB cable is using the correct port (bottom/Port 0). I just tried swapping them for the heck of it, but it doesn't even read my drive when using Port 1 (top port) with the main cable.

If I got into Credits it says that I am using IOS249 (Rev 65535) + AHB, (d2x v10beta52 base56).

thecubicgamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

hermes v4/5.1
d2x v9 beta
v2x v10beta (r53)

I have a backup of my emunand that should of worked but it still doesn't. So I no longer think its my emunand itself, but something else... Tried another drive too, same result. Wii games and Gamecube games launch and work just fine, but like I mentioned earlier, the Wii games save to my Wii Nand regardless of the setting.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
your IOS is good (r52 base56 is fine, but base57 is better for game compatibility)

so, IOS is good. emuNAND path is good. another devide have same result. usb is on right usb port.
Did you try to re-create a new emuNAND Full dump ? if the dump is corrupted that would explain why it's rebooting when launching channels, but I don't know what happens for wii games saving to emuNAND. if you use "partial" it shouldn't care whether your dump is good or bad, it only redirect the file.
if you use "full", maybe it first check if everything is fine and default to console if not? I don't know.

thecubicgamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
your IOS is good (r52 base56 is fine, but base57 is better for game compatibility)

so, IOS is good. emuNAND path is good. another devide have same result. usb is on right usb port.
Did you try to re-create a new emuNAND Full dump ? if the dump is corrupted that would explain why it's rebooting when launching channels, but I don't know what happens for wii games saving to emuNAND. if you use "partial" it shouldn't care whether your dump is good or bad, it only redirect the file.
if you use "full", maybe it first check if everything is fine and default to console if not? I don't know.

I created a brand new emunand and the problem was still there sadly. I really don't get what could of changed between now and last time it was working. I appreciate your help, but it sounds like we're running out of options.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yeah, I'm out of option now :(
that was the last idea I had.
we literraly tried to swap everything, device, data, settings, etc.

at this point I can suggest to reset the loader settings (if not done yet) and/or update to 1271 while you are at it.
make a new nand dump (again?)
reinstall cIOS r52 (maybe something is wrong, but usually it creates wiimote issues when not properly installed)
try to put emuNAND path on another device (sd or usb)
other than re-do everything, I don't know what else to do. The most strange thing is that it used to work fine and you didn't touch anything.

Ah, another idea : try your setup (hdd, sd, homebrew setings) on someone else's console. just to see if the issue is one of your element, or your console.

Last edited by Cyan,

thecubicgamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yeah, I'm out of option now :(
that was the last idea I had.
we literraly tried to swap everything, device, data, settings, etc.

at this point I can suggest to reset the loader settings (if not done yet) and/or update to 1271 while you are at it.
make a new nand dump (again?)
reinstall cIOS r52 (maybe something is wrong, but usually it creates wiimote issues when not properly installed)
try to put emuNAND path on another device (sd or usb)
other than re-do everything, I don't know what else to do. The most strange thing is that it used to work fine and you didn't touch anything.

Ah, another idea : try your setup (hdd, sd, homebrew setings) on someone else's console. just to see if the issue is one of your element, or your console.

I have already tried a fresh install of the latest version of USBLoaderGX. Just put my SD card and Drive into a different softmodded Wii and the problem is the same so it has to be something in my SD or Drive...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See some new 830gb builds that should work on the cheaper ones
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    For your steam deck ken?
    If just for PC I would recommend an external hard drive like 2 TB and just build your own bootable drive
    Although even if it's the steam deck and a 1TB MicroSD I would still recommend building it yourself.... Almost all the builds I tried just sucked
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but why not just have a img file mounted through us you can still transfer through windows
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Usb*
    Yeah Batocera has a shared folder it's pretty cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Less clutter for all the 6 usb options we never use
    Just drag and drop your Barbie Roms
    Barbies BDSM Dungeon Adventure Featuring Gimp Ken!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's the Florida meth
    Don't make Barbie put a cigarette out on your nipples!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Although expensive Florida meth can rot the brightest of minds
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol qbits almost taking a
    full gb of ram usage
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, qbittorrent?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    no I dont torrent
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: