Hardware Wii U keeps saying USB storage device disconnected

Princess420

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a Y cable yesterday to use my hitachi 500GB HDD with my Wii U. I was able to transfer everything off my USB to the HDD, and was able to install some games as well. After installing games and testing them out, the Wii U keeps telling me that the drive has been disconnected. I do have sleep mode disabled on the drive via Wii U settings. I have tried the front & back USB ports, as well as plugging one of the ends of the Y cable into a phone charger. The drive isn’t in a full enclosure, I’m using a SATA to USB cable (which works fine by itself with my other external drives) and the end of the SATA cable is plugged into the female port on the Y cable. It seems like no matter what I do, the Wii U will tell me that the drive has been disconnected. I do have a Toshiba drive that’s dedicated to the OG wii, but I can backup the data and format it if need be to use it with the Wii U. I’m new to using HDDs with the Wii U, I’d love to get this up and working. Any suggestions?

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SSD prices are pretty decent these days. Sure you probably need an enclosure but you won't have to mess around with the Y cable anymore. It'll last the same as normal HDD, eg a long ass time.

Just another option to keep in mind. Seeing that Wii U can be picky when it comes to external HDD.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SSD prices are pretty decent these days. Sure you probably need an enclosure but you won't have to mess around with the Y cable anymore. It'll last the same as normal HDD, eg a long ass time.

Just another option to keep in mind. Seeing that Wii U can be picky when it comes to external HDD.

Waste of money wasting a SSD on a wii u

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Sup