Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Well, to move the thread back on track, I just finished the first version of SARCExtract (A play on ArcExtract that I've been using for RARC Yaz0 files for years now), nothing much, but it gets the job done. If you have python 2 set up as the default version to run scripts, you can just drag files onto it and it'll auto-extract ;) It's kinda messy, but....
Requirements: Python 2, nothing else

http://pastebin.com/JH2uh1gr

Sorry for my stupid question, what is this ?
Thanks for sharing though :)

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for my stupid question, what is this ?
Thanks for sharing though :)

Exactly what it says if you look at the links i added, it extracts files from SARC archives used in a bunch of first party Wii U titles like MK8 and SM3DW, and since SM3DW uses Yaz0 compression I added that too. Running that lets me dump SM3DW files with drag-and-drop.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Exactly what it says if you look at the links i added, it extracts files from SARC archives used in a bunch of first party Wii U titles like MK8 and SM3DW, and since SM3DW uses Yaz0 compression I added that too. Running that lets me dump SM3DW files with drag-and-drop.

Ah stupid me. Very nice! thanks for enlighting my lantern :P
This might be useful for game modding, right?

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah stupid me. Very nice! thanks for enlighting my lantern :P
This might be useful for game modding, right?

Kinda sorta, I'd have to add compression too to repack files, but yeah, it's a start. You could already extract them, I just made it easier for myself :P

officialjunk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...I just finished the first version of SARCExtract (A play on ArcExtract that I've been using for RARC Yaz0 files for years now), nothing much, but it gets the job done. If you have python 2 set up as the default version to run scripts, you can just drag files onto it and it'll auto-extract ;) It's kinda messy, but...

i mean this in the most respectful way: mind putting these types of things onto github/bitbucket or something similar? it will make the process of releasing updated versions more streamlined, as people can always go to the same place, plus makes it much easier for others to contribute. not saying you need the help, but it sounds like there are people in this thread that are itching to help in some way and this is an example of something that doesn't require the niche skill set to, say, hack the wiiu os. and then if you can offload some dev work to others, you may find you have more time to focus on the items that interest you most. :)

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i mean this in the most respectful way: mind putting these types of things onto github/bitbucket or something similar? it will make the process of releasing updated versions more streamlined, as people can always go to the same place, plus makes it much easier for others to contribute. not saying you need the help, but it sounds like there are people in this thread that are itching to help in some way and this is an example of something that doesn't require the niche skill set to, say, hack the wiiu os. and then if you can offload some dev work to others, you may find you have more time to focus on the items that interest you most. :)

Once I have more stuff like it I will, this is just to get whoever might be interested started. I also plan to work on a BYML parser and MSBT parser, and then I'll probably make a repo.

oPolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mental note: do not work on hacking any more consoles; according to the_randomizer, the scene will be better off that way.

The irony is strong with this one. ;)

the scene which, by the way, wouldnt exist without them.

Indeed.

Then tell me, how does their withholding hacks/information truly benefit the scene to other hackers and users alike? I really would love to know :P How is the scene benefited if nothing ever gets released? That makes no sense.

Witholding information? They gave us pretty much everything (wrt. how we should break the security) at the 30c3 talk? The only thing more they could have given, would have been the keys themselves (which they ended up giving us indirectly now). They even gave us hashes so that we could verify, when we found the correct keys?

I cannot see, where all this: "Hackers who does not share their findings are egoists" or "hackers who will not share their stuff, should not say that they ever found it". The egoists are the one that believes themselves justified to just getting the results of their hard work handed over to them. They are in no way obligated to share anything, they don't owe us anything. Besides from this, I don't think being a hacker in the console scene is really rewarding ever. People tend to demand and demand, and probably (even more annoying) ask for ETAs of the results all the time :P

This is the way I view it atleast.

I'm talking about the fact that there is next to no worthwhile homebrew for the PS3, and most of the community revolves around warez. What little there is (the usual emulator ports, one media player, and a few games) seems to be secondary to CFWs with warez support, warez loaders, and support tools like file transfer apps, and warez is basically the first thing that came out.
FWIW; For myself personally, a specific homebrew called Showtime has changed how I use my PS3 entirely. I know the same goes for my closest friends, which I helped finding exploitable PS3's (Firmware =< 3.55) back in the day. One of my friends can rarely use his PS3 anymore, because his girlfriend is using it all day long to watch tv-series and movies.
So yea, it might not have triggered the largest repertoire of homebrew, but there are some quality homebrew in between, which I am most thankful for :)
The fact that the PS3 can show .avi and .mpeg files natively from a NAS server running Twonky, but not .mkv files makes it just about useless for me as a mediacenter, when it is not jailbroken. (and to make matters worse, it cannot display subtitles on .avi and .mpeg files either with the standard software that comes with the ps3).

In theory I lose because the Wii U is in enough trouble already without everyone pirating games; I'd hate to think that I was responsible for making that worse. But yes, the facts that (1) two years have passed and (2) crediar had already somehow extracted game files and someone else had a kernel exploit, opening multiple avenues to piracy without this key, imply that there is not much harm anymore, and are why I was originally planning to just tweet it, before being (for the nth time) talked out of it, convinced instead to send it privately 'for now'. As I said on Twitter, I am much more annoyed about the way the leak happened than the actual outcome.

Back in the Wii days people keeping things secret drove me up the wall, regardless of their reasons for doing so – that was half my motivation for writing my own stuff in the first place – and that part of me has changed very little; in this situation I was never really happy with secrecy, just at a loss for anything better to do. So I wish everyone the best of luck, and hopefully we all gain from interesting game mods. (I've already posted semi-trollishly here before regarding how much I adore Project M.)
I understand that it pisses you off that someone misused your trust. I'm glad to hear though, that you are not that sad about the key being leaked, as you had hoped it could help others.
I don't know how much it matters, but I (and others for sure as well...) knows where the credit belongs, and where the work has been done! :)
(Just as with the PS3 scene, when geohot tried (I actually do not know, if he tried intentionally tbh) to take the credit for releasing the first usable exploit, when f0f had done the underlying work in spotting the encryption implementation fault and mapping the system afterwards *gives a highfive for the work!!* )

IbbyPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, to move the thread back on track, I just finished the first version of SARCExtract (A play on ArcExtract that I've been using for RARC Yaz0 files for years now), nothing much, but it gets the job done. If you have python 2 set up as the default version to run scripts, you can just drag files onto it and it'll auto-extract ;) It's kinda messy, but....
Requirements: Python 2, nothing else

EDIT: Thanks to Bean/chadderz for http://mk8.tockdom.com/wiki/SARC_(File_Format) and thakis for http://www.amnoid.de/gc/yaz0.txt

How do I use this tool after I have ripped and decrypted my game iso?

Hykem

Trophies
XP
Country
I posted this a while back but it got lost. Question for DEVS. When the kernal exploit is released, will the rpc system have kernal access (and possibly new commands to transfer files from console to pc and vice versa).

The answer is yes. We're debating ways to achieve some level of obfuscation regarding the kernel exploit, but that's mostly to delay piracy. Eventually, any obfuscation layer we may apply will be reverse engineered and other parties will be able to explore further this exploit until they reach the IOSU.
We obviously don't want to facilitate that, but there's no reason to prevent users to take advantage of the level of access the exploit gives.

Reactions: VinsCool

dauphin327

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The answer is yes. We're debating ways to achieve some level of obfuscation regarding the kernel exploit, but that's mostly to delay piracy. Eventually, any obfuscation layer we may apply will be reverse engineered and other parties will be able to explore further this exploit until they reach the IOSU.
We obviously don't want to facilitate that, but there's no reason to prevent users to take advantage of the level of access the exploit gives.

The kernel exploit is already done, only obfuscation is left? :O

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The kernel exploit is already done, only obfuscation is left? :O
I thought there was marionumber/nwplayer and then bean/chaderz (sorry about spelling) and there was wulfystylz? Maybe he was with one of those two teams? I thought they had different kernel exploits and the bean/chaderz side wanted of us cation and was for MK8 only? Maybe I misread and/or misunderstood but mn1 and nw will correct me, lol. Please no randomizer snd/or TSK correction.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I thought there was marionumber/nwplayer and then bean/chaderz (sorry about spelling) and there was wulfystylz? Maybe he was with one of those two teams? I thought they had different kernel exploits and the bean/chaderz side wanted of us cation and was for MK8 only? Maybe I misread and/or misunderstood but mn1 and nw will correct me, lol. Please no randomizer snd/or TSK correction.

Hykem is working with them AFAIK.

Reactions: Marionumber1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Damn jack must've came loose outside over all the weather and a tech can't come out until the...