Hacking Wii SDK

mike333

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Is there anything interesting to read from Wii SDK?

Info for moderators:
This topic is not related to "Wii_RVL_SDK_3.2_Patch_3_USA_Wii-LaKiTu" in any way.

mike333

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
G0dLiKe said:
sry but whats that supposed to be?
what do you want to know?
wtf?
AFAIK SDK is not available to everyone.
What is this forum section called?
Read my question again.

Bad day G0dLiKe? Ah, yes - end of the world is today...

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
mike333 said:
Is there anything interesting to read from Wii SDK?

Info for moderators:
This topic is not related to "Wii_RVL_SDK_3.2_Patch_3_USA_Wii-LaKiTu" in any way.

If your topic is not related to the new leaked Wii SDK in any way, what's the point of this thread? You contradict yourself if you want to know if there is anything interesting to read from Wii SDK and at the same time claim, that this topic is not related to the new SDK. Explain yourself properly or get flamed.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Regardless of what you're talking about, no there is nothing interesting to be gained. The official SDK is aimed at games developers, who don't have access to "interesting" features, so there's presumably nothing useful to be found there (I haven't checked, just assuming here)

mike333

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
SifJar said:
Regardless of what you're talking about, no there is nothing interesting to be gained. The official SDK is aimed at games developers, who don't have access to "interesting" features, so there's presumably nothing useful to be found there (I haven't checked, just assuming here)
Thanks for understanding the topic and for valuable reply.
I've never had any access to this SDK but I'm guessing that it contain binary libs, header files and source code of some examples.
So whole SDK is just another layer between developer and hardware,

Source of SDK itself might be more "interesting" I think. Not to mention source of IOSes.
I guess this will never happen.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Source of IOS will never be leaked, I am 99.99% sure of that. That may be mildly interesting (handy for finding IOS exploits I'm sure), but it'll never happen.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Only thing interesting in official SDK is the hardware and API documentation. Tools to manage audio or graphics as well maybe but I can't see anything that isn't already available somewhere else. Same for homebrew development, it's useless as libogc/devkitPPC pretty much have the exact same features / possibilities and afaik, demos compiled does not work with current loaders (maybe it has changed ?)...

By looking at header files you would also notice how much libogc and the official dev library are similar.

Sourcecode of library or IOS could be useful off course but there is zero chance it's going to be part of developer SDKs, that's not the point of these.

Btw, I also think that your post is a little hypocritical, off course you are talking about the recently released SDK, you really think mods are that stupid ?

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Jacobeian said:
Only thing interesting in official SDK is the hardware and API documentation. Tools to manage audio or graphics as well maybe but I can't see anything that isn't already available somewhere else. Same for homebrew development, it's useless as libogc/devkitPPC pretty much have the exact same features / possibilities.

libogc doesnt support WiiMotion Plus, which could be usefull for ports of classic first person shooters (Descent for example).

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Still, you won't be able to "fix" anything with the compiled libraries. You might be able to disassemble object files to analyse what functions are doing but this would be illegal to use back in open-source library and might be harder to do than you guess it is. What is needed is the source code of library which is off course not even available to official devs.

As far as compiling homebrew with official sdk to get wiimotion plus support in existing apps, this is going to be very complicated as you would need to rewrite quite a lof of things in those apps to make them support official API instead of libogc, the compiling process might not be that easy (if even possible on a personal dev environment ?) and finally, there is no guarantee that produced binary (are those even .dol ?) could run on retail Wii, I imagine you need a DEV unit to run those files and maybe also a license dongle on your PC to compile/send the binary.

Really, the only interesting stuff in those leaked SDK is the documentation and even that only for the purpose of reading stuff that you weren't supposed to read, I'm pretty sure homebrew devs know all the important stuff already, as libogc is very complete and very similar.

Maybe someone could try to compile liboc stuff with metrowerks compiler to see if it produces more optimized code than gcc (probably the case) but in 6 years, nobody seems to have been able to do it, I doubt it will change today.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind me, just liking all of SDIO's posts, they deserve it for...