• Total voters

Lubbo

GBAtemp Veteran Resurgence
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well i was just wondering if everyone else thinks that the Wii Motion Plus/+ that nintendo brought out a few months ago was just a waste and a gimmick? a way to con people for money? how many games are there with the compatibility..5 or 6? i bought 2 of these thinking o great! most games will have awesome control now... obviously i was wrong.

I wonder if this new (stupid) vitality sensor thing is going to be the same??

Discuss..

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I only have Wii Sports Resort that uses it. While WSR is a decent game, I was very disappointed with the wii motion + addon. Definitely not worth what I spent on it so far.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's only had 5-6 games because it's a rather new peripheral. Not many games designed at the time took it into account. Not to mention there's a lot more coming out this year (Red Steel 2, The Grinder, Gladiator AD, etc).

The game selection currently is terrible (basically 95% sports games), but some of those games are good. Tiger Woods '10 is great. WSR is pretty good.

I payed $40 for 2 of these and I'm not disappointed.

ciris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For Tiger Woods, yes its great! The best control ever! But for me, thats the only wii motion plus game thats worth it.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lack of support is terrible for this device, but what it does is really cool. Wii Sports Resort is so much better than the original, except its missing tennis. If games come out that use it great, but otherwise I am disappointed with support for the peripheral.

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's great in the 2 worthwhile games that support it. WSR and TW10.

TW10 alone pretty much makes it worth buying imo. Of course if you aren't a fan of that game, then yeah it's mostly worthless.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't see how the motion+ can be seen as a way to con people for money. I mean...wii sports resort (including the motion+) isn't more expensive than other wii games, and the game itself isn't some kind of tech demo (unlike wii play, which is basically an excuse to not "just" buy a second wiimote).

The differences with and without motion+ are pretty clear. The regular wii sports feels almost clunky after being used to wii sports resort. Most - if not all - reviewers agree that the improvement is clear

And price/quality-wise, I wouldn't say it's a bad decision either. I haven't bought a second motion+ because I rarely have visitors to make it worth it, but the one I do have was worth every cent. Especially because I don't have to unplug it if I want to play a game that doesn't use it.

As for the lack of support...I don't know if nintendo can be blamed for that. It's mainly up to the developers of games to decide to account for motion+ or not.

Fluto

A potato in disguise
Trophies
XP
Country
i think its to stop piracy (wii sports resort can't play without it)
also there's only like 3 game that's compatible with it

Lubbo

GBAtemp Veteran Resurgence
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wever said:
I don't see how the motion+ can be seen as a way to con people for money. I mean...wii sports resort (including the motion+) isn't more expensive than other wii games, and the game itself isn't some kind of tech demo (unlike wii play, which is basically an excuse to not "just" buy a second wiimote).

The differences with and without motion+ are pretty clear. The regular wii sports feels almost clunky after being used to wii sports resort. Most - if not all - reviewers agree that the improvement is clear

And price/quality-wise, I wouldn't say it's a bad decision either. I haven't bought a second motion+ because I rarely have visitors to make it worth it, but the one I do have was worth every cent. Especially because I don't have to unplug it if I want to play a game that doesn't use it.

As for the lack of support...I don't know if nintendo can be blamed for that. It's mainly up to the developers of games to decide to account for motion+ or not.

Well, i agree with you but in my opinion it shouldn't have been hyped and promoted by nintendo as much, or they should have had contracts with companies to make a certain number of games compatible with the motion +

QUOTE(mezut360 @ Jan 7 2010, 10:19 PM) i think its to stop piracy (wii sports resort can't play without it)
also there's only like 3 game that's compatible with it

and yeah i think piracy would have also been considered

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Lubbo said:
Well, i agree with you but in my opinion it shouldn't have been hyped and promoted by nintendo as much, or they should have had contracts with companies to make a certain number of games compatible with the motion +
That's a bit of a paradox, isn't it? As all companies, game makers want to make as much money as possible. Adding motion+ support takes time, and as such, those companies will wonder "is the extra effort of adding motion+ support going to be worth it?".

That's where the sales of the motion+ become important. Basically: the more people get it, the more likely companies will be to add the support to their game. That's also where nintendo's hype becomes important: it has to sell well in order to 'seduce' companies into adding the support (see also: the guitar hero franchise).

That's also why I said I don't know whether nintendo can be blamed for so few games having motion+ support. It's because they basically have to make sure that the extra effort that game companies will have to do to allow for motion+ support isn't too big.
And to be honest...I can't say how much harder it is to code a game with motion+ AND regular wiimotion support than just one that has regular support. Take into account that the current load of games were already a work-in-progress by the time the motion+ shipped, and you'll see that it's not as easy as "just" adding some support.

As much as I'd like to see nintendo bitching all other companies around to tell them they MUST add motion+ support, I don't think that's very realistic. If you were a company's CEO, why would you want to sign a contract that would postpone your shipping date (and thus cost you extra money*)?

I'm a bit curious as to how the motion+ is going to stop piracy. It's easy enough to download WSR and buy a separate motion+. It's more expensive than the usual 0$ pirates usually play for games, but it's still cheaper than "simply" buying the game.

*programmers don't work for free

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WSR showed that it can work and Avatar is a better game for it (though thats not saying much). Virtua Tennis without it is awful same goes for the EA one, with motion+ those games play very well. Had no problem with the control of the device at all.

Can't see why developers don't use it more, especially seeing how well WSR has sold but I guess its still early days, maybe they were waiting to see how well it sold before deciding to make games for it.

blackdragonbaham

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
the wii motion plus can just do things better, the controls of wii sports are damn horrible, though the concept seems to be interesting, my nackles already raise by just thinking of it. i am concidering to buy that peripheral to make me a own opinion, and as the most reviews are good i am serious that i won't be disappointed:.

ipawii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For anyone who thinks it is a waste of money, play TW10 without it, then try it with it. Nuff said.
It would seem that it only makes a huge difference in a small minority of games, but hopefull that will change. Maybe not in the current console generation, but so be it.
I can honestly say that I have gotten my moneys worth out of it on TW10 alone. I would like to see what WSR would be like without WM+. My guess would be, not worth playing.
OP might have wanted to have a voting option as a Viable Gaming Accessory, because I dont feel it is a Gimmick or a One Hit Wonder.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Bladexdsl said:
wait for red steel 2 to revolutionize it

Hopefully it does. I too feel like WSR and TW10 are just about the only games that make good use of it.
Swordfighting in WSR is quite fun, and I love the bow shooting minigame. Hopefully we see a lightsaber game soon!

jazvdb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Motion Plus+ is great (especially with Tiger Woods 10 and Wii Sports Resort)

What pisses me off is the amount of games that uses it...
(Hopefully Red Steel2 will make it all better)

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
grinder will be using it too i think
MG2 and the new zelda definitely will be. why mg2 needs it i have No idea
laugh.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: luke try not to say "for instance" or "etc." in a post challenge, level impossible