Gaming Wii 2 wont have a HDD

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
(EDIT: note: this post was a reply to prlwr.)

Not really. Price is another factor. I've read swami's post, but the logic that works for a client doesn't really apply to a business model.

First up: a hard drive is an investment in EVERY console, not just the ones sold. And 50 bucks for a hard drive (PER MACHINE) may not sound like much, it will be added in the selling price. And if the price is too high, people will refrain from buying one. To put it to the extreme: I'm sure nintendo can put together a console that has all the latest CPU power, HD (or beyond) quality, way more memory and hard drive space than needed and the most advanced controllers EVER...but that would be a bad move because it would cost so much that nobody can afford one (sega used to have technologically better consoles back in the days...but the price caused people to go for a nintendo console).

So the question isn't so much as to whether it should or shouldn't have it, but if it NEEDS a large hard drive. I explained in my last post why I think it does, but let's be honest: DLC is pretty much exclusively something third parties want. I don't see nintendo adding downloadable levels to Super Mario games or DLC for Zelda. I'm sure they keep track of just how many people have filled their wii nand completely with too much wiiware/VC, and use those numbers for reference rather than forums where a vocal minority can easily outvoice the majority that has no issue whatsoever.

...and I think this forum has even less of a voting chance. I bet that on forums like this, at least 3 out of 4 complaints about a nand being too small is because the user has too many illegally downloaded wiiware on his machine.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wever said:

Not really. Price is another factor. I've read swami's post, but the logic that works for a client doesn't really apply to a business model.

First up: a hard drive is an investment in EVERY console, not just the ones sold. And 50 bucks for a hard drive (PER MACHINE) may not sound like much, it will be added in the selling price. And if the price is too high, people will refrain from buying one. To put it to the extreme: I'm sure nintendo can put together a console that has all the latest CPU power, HD (or beyond) quality, way more memory and hard drive space than needed and the most advanced controllers EVER...but that would be a bad move because it would cost so much that nobody can afford one (sega used to have technologically better consoles back in the days...but the price caused people to go for a nintendo console).

So the question isn't so much as to whether it should or shouldn't have it, but if it NEEDS a large hard drive. I explained in my last post why I think it does, but let's be honest: DLC is pretty much exclusively something third parties want. I don't see nintendo adding downloadable levels to Super Mario games or DLC for Zelda. I'm sure they keep track of just how many people have filled their wii nand completely with too much wiiware/VC, and use those numbers for reference rather than forums where a vocal minority can easily outvoice the majority that has no issue whatsoever.

...and I think this forum has even less of a voting chance. I bet that on forums like this, at least 3 out of 4 complaints about a nand being too small is because the user has too many illegally downloaded wiiware on his machine.

I totally agree.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Wever said:

I was being sarcastic

Bladexdsl is known for making stupid posts like the one I quoted.

MakiManPR

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Wever said:

I know that if they include a HDD with the console it will have a high price but looking what Nintendo have been doing this recent days like talking how good XBOX Live is, loving KINECT tech, (rumor)will have same architecture CPU as the 360 for the Wii2 could they try to emulate M$. My point is that maybe the Wii 2 wont come with a HDD included but will be sold separately like M$ did with the 360 to maintain the console cost not to high and THATS what this info is missing. Yeah the Wii 2 wont come with a HDD included but will be sold separately and by doing that Niintendo will keep Wii2's price not to high.

And since Nintendo want the hardcore back and hardcore gamers love DLC and DLC make a game's life longer we could see(Nintendo should IMO) Nintendo first party games getting DLC too. A Mario game getting extra worlds and stages would keep gamers happy and busy for a long time, a Zelda game getting extra dungeons and/or boses could be epic, etc and also if a game need a patch DLC is the right place so they dont have to re-release the game like what happened to NSMBW.

Z

Zorua

That's just plain disappointing.
Hope that they make another with an HDD for people with a higher budget.
Like seriously, I don't mind taking a few extra $$ out of my pocket.

Erdnaxela

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, nintendo can put an HDD and keep the price high (LOL) or make the customers decide if they need an HDD or not.

swami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$50 is if I buy the drive. It will cost them less than half of that to add a drive. And that was for a 320GB. I was making that comparison since people were talking about 32GB SD cards which are almost that much money. They could add a 120GB for $10. Why not? Never hurts to have the extra space, with a HD console you need more room in case you can download any video or games.

T1nmaN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm sure most of us will be adding our own anyway!
yaywii.gif

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
CannonFoddr said:
Hang on - from the rumours I've read - the new Wii2 is 'modular' and allows for 'upgrading'

So could it be that the 'base' Wii2 will have the 8Gb BUT if you want to upgrade - you just plug-in more ....
That way it could become a gaming PC.
You can upgrade it without buying a new console.
Great idea Nintendo!

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

swami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it is modular, that is a problem. 95% of games won't take advantage of it since 99% of the users won't upgrade the machine. They need to give a decent HDD like the other systems do currently to be competitive. Also sony was talking about adding peripherals on to their machine a couple of years ago and nothing has materialized (not like turning your ps3 into a dvr or some crap like that made sense) but it never does and it is never good if it does. I'm sure most of you don't remember sega and their mega drive or whatever it was to add a cd drive to the genesis but it was a big investment for a huge flop of a device to try to make their old machine better. Hardly any games even came out for it.

Nintendo just needs to make sure their new machine is better than PS3 and XBOX 360 at time of launch, which includes 1080p graphics and some mass storage since it is so cheap it's stupid not to. Most people that are going to hack it will do so with a 2-3 TB external drive anyway so it's not like a 120-320GB is going to be enough for someone who wants to put a lot of games on there if/when a hack ever comes about.

I really liked the wii when it first came out with the motion controls... but, over time, when seeing the games coming out for the ps3 and Xbox 360 the superior graphics won the battle with me, so I sold my wii because i found that I was playing the Xbox 360 all the time and the wii just sat there. Hopefully they come out with a better full motion control with a camera to do something more like the Sony move and maybe also take a page out of the kinect play book with the camera that tracks your whole body. That is what someone really needs to do. Integrate good 1:1 motion control along with the camera watching your body as well, then you can do games that require precision as well as games where just moving your arms and legs around will work, or even hybrid games that can use do both for precision movement and control. That really will be the next step.

AdamBrunt

Trophies
XP
Country
Gotta say - I haven't really been bothered about the Wii not having a HDD, so I can't say I'd miss it on the Wii2 either.

As someone else said, as long the games that get released are good enough then who need's storage ?

All internal storage needs to be used for is save game data and stuff like Wiiware. Movies ? no, stream those. Massive DL games ? Why - any game that's worth downloading that much would probably be released to retail anyway.

Unless of course Nintendo are going to start releasing buggy games (which require new patches every other week to be downloaded and installed to HDD) on a very regular basis.

As others have said - it's a games console not a storage device. The same reason the Wii doesn't play DVD/Blurays - cos it's a game console not a DVD player !!!

Wait a minute ... my LCD TV hasn't got a HDD in it !!??!! Better get rid of it as it can't be possibly be very good at show TV pictures.

MakiManPR said:
I know that if they include a HDD with the console it will have a high price but looking what Nintendo have been doing this recent days like talking how good XBOX Live is, loving KINECT tech, (rumor)will have same architecture CPU as the 360 for the Wii2 could they try to emulate M$.

Of course Nintendo love KINECT ... since it is just a upgrade of their Wiimote invention, they would be stupid to say it's rubbish.

MakiManPR

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
AdamBrunt said:
Gotta say - I haven't really been bothered about the Wii not having a HDD, so I can't say I'd miss it on the Wii2 either.

As someone else said, as long the games that get released are good enough then who need's storage ?

All internal storage needs to be used for is save game data and stuff like Wiiware. Movies ? no, stream those. Massive DL games ? Why - any game that's worth downloading that much would probably be released to retail anyway.

Unless of course Nintendo are going to start releasing buggy games (which require new patches every other week to be downloaded and installed to HDD) on a very regular basis.

As others have said - it's a games console not a storage device. The same reason the Wii doesn't play DVD/Blurays - cos it's a game console not a DVD player !!!

Wait a minute ... my LCD TV hasn't got a HDD in it !!??!! Better get rid of it as it can't be possibly be very good at show TV pictures.

MakiManPR said:
I know that if they include a HDD with the console it will have a high price but looking what Nintendo have been doing this recent days like talking how good XBOX Live is, loving KINECT tech, (rumor)will have same architecture CPU as the 360 for the Wii2 could they try to emulate M$.

Of course Nintendo love KINECT ... since it is just a upgrade of their Wiimote invention, they would be stupid to say it's rubbish.

You people really don't get the point. Almost all companies now offer DLC to enlarge their game's life and most of those DLC are big (400MB+) and Nintendo might want to re-sell GC games for the "Wii2 Ware" which are 600MB+. And also other companies might do games for the "Wii2 Ware". You will also have Netflix. And for all that we NEED a BIG HDD, 8GB of flash memory is NOTHING. You guys who say that Consoles are for games and not for storage i'm pretty sure you don't even know you can download games for ur console too, were you guys have been? under a rock?. Yeah as I said we need a big HDD for storage.

And that wasn't my point, my point was that Nintendo might not include a HDD with the console but will sell them separately and that that's the missing key in this rumor.

swami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BTW Adam, your point about your LCD TV does not have a HDD in it is pretty funny since new Sony LCD Tv's are coming with hard drives in them for a DVR.

I find it ridiculous that my cell phone has more storage capacity then the new Wii, if the speculation about it only having something like a 8GB is true. Is everyone really afraid they are going to charge another $20-$50 for the machine and now it will be out of reach? You don't see the need to be able to download demo games (like XBOX or PS3) without having to delete the other demo game you were checking out? How about downloading some older games that you won't find anymore for the original Wii that could take up a 1 GB of space or more. How about loading that new game on your hard drive (like you can on the XBOX or PS3) so it will load twice as fast as off from the optical drive and save wear and tear on your new wii when you get a game that constantly loads, like a large action adventure game? If you hate the load times between scenes like i do, that hard drive really does make it a lot faster. I really want to be able to do more than save games or download original nes and snes games to my machine.

They need to just put a decent HDD in all machines and come in at a price point of the original Wii $249 or maybe $299. You can get an XBOX 360 or PS3 with a decent hard drive for $299 now so unless they really have some cutting edge new idea to make it sell (like the original Wii) people are not going to pay a lot more than a XBOX 360 for a new wii, especially if it is not another generation better than the other two machines.

I do have to admit, it's not necessary to have a HDD in the machine, but for the future of the machine and so they can offer the same type of things that can be done on the XBOX or PS3 I feel it is important.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
If they make it use cartridges again they could have re-writable portions for the game to store dlc on.
They'd have to go super saiyan on security though.

AdamBrunt

Trophies
XP
Country
MakiManPR said:
You people really don't get the point. Almost all companies now offer DLC to enlarge their game's life and most of those DLC are big (400MB+) and Nintendo might want to re-sell GC games for the "Wii2 Ware" which are 600MB+. And also other companies might do games for the "Wii2 Ware". You will also have Netflix. And for all that we NEED a BIG HDD, 8GB of flash memory is NOTHING. You guys who say that Consoles are for games and not for storage i'm pretty sure you don't even know you can download games for ur console too, were you guys have been? under a rock?. Yeah as I said we need a big HDD for storage.

Can you name 1 console game that has had a minimum requirement of a massive HDD ?? No, thought not.

Also not sure why you mention Netflix either - AFAIK Netflix is a streaming application which requires very little HDD other than what is required to store the app. In that respect Netflix is no different to WiiMC and I must have missed "must have an HDD" in WiiMC's requirements.

I do agree though about the need for the Wii2 to have the ability to add mass storage in some form but I just don't see how it needs to be there by default.

QUOTE(swami @ May 7 2011, 07:41 PM) BTW Adam, your point about your LCD TV does not have a HDD in it is pretty funny since new Sony LCD Tv's are coming with hard drives in them for a DVR.

So that's not a TV then is it ?? It's a TV/DVR combo

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Nollog said:
The modular system is a separate project, and likely a dead project.
Cafe isn't Project Butterfly.Funny - I thought they were related - just like the Wii2 is/was going to be called 'Feel'

Source - NGamer magazine said:
At GDC, we heard reference to Nintendo's "Project Butterfly", the intended succesor to the Wii. No specs were given, though the hardware is designed to be physically upgraded over time. As it was explained to us, by plugging in new parts it 'becomes' a new machine. It will be marketed as the antidote to Apple's yearly redesigns. One machine, for life.
Source - Bitgamer Website
Nintendo has confirmed that it is working on a new console and successor to the Nintendo Wii, which is set for release in 2012.
The confirmation comes in a note that accompanies Nintendo's 2011 financial statement, which reveals that the company is working on a new home console, codenamed Project Cafe.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Meta what's @Psionic Roshambo onlyfans password