Wii #1630 - Astro Boy: The Video Game (USA)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vater Unser said:
Wow, I just hate this whole thing so much.
The western movie industry takes a japanese manga classic and turns it into another of their cursed computer animated effects masturbation movies, give the rights for the game to some crappy studio, and they go ahead and just rip-off Treasure's classic GBA game really, really badly and get away with it.
The cover artworks is one of the shittiest ones I've seen so far on the Wii (and that certainly means a lot), and I just don't see that many correlations between the new "Astro Boy" franchise and the original one. Is nothing sacred anymore?
First Dragonball, now this.

I didn't see anything retaining to gameplay, though. Interesting...

And HVS is far from a "crappy" studio. Sure, they used to do shovelware, like "Dora the Explorer Saves the Snow Princess" (no joke) but have now turned over a new leaf and started developing good Wii games. The Conduit was excellent, and the upcoming Animales de la Muerte and The Grinder look great as well.

A lot of your complaints just seem to be about the fact that Astro Boy isn't Japanese. The horror!

I haven't played this yet and don't really plan to (until it comes out on the DS, at least), but just sayin'.

zalman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Vater Unser said:
The western movie industry takes a japanese manga classic and turns it into another of their cursed computer animated effects masturbation movies
Imagi is a Chinese studio

Azariel_z

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
A lot of your complaints just seem to be about the fact that Astro Boy isn't Japanese. The horror!

THE horror...
mad.gif

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
zalman said:
Imagi is a Chinese studio
Well, my mistake. Then it's a chinese studio copying western animation copying japanese animation.

Guild McCommunist said:
Vater Unser said:
The western movie industry takes a japanese manga classic and turns it into another of their cursed computer animated effects masturbation movies, give the rights for the game to some crappy studio, and they go ahead and just rip-off Treasure's classic GBA game really, really badly and get away with it.
The cover artworks is one of the shittiest ones I've seen so far on the Wii (and that certainly means a lot), and I just don't see that many correlations between the new "Astro Boy" franchise and the original one. Is nothing sacred anymore?
First Dragonball, now this.

I didn't see anything retaining to gameplay, though. Interesting...
Well, I mentioned that this heavily looks like a rip-off of Treasure's game, including the gameplay. Even if it does play well (and it doesn't look like it), it's still a rip-off. I'll gladly take the original with its awesome cartoon graphics over a rip-off with godawful Wii 3D graphics.

QUOTEAnd HVS is far from a "crappy" studio. Sure, they used to do shovelware, like "Dora the Explorer Saves the Snow Princess" (no joke) but have now turned over a new leaf and started developing good Wii games. The Conduit was excellent, and the upcoming Animales de la Muerte and The Grinder look great as well.
Well, whether or not The Conduit is really "excellent" is arguable, after all, it didn't even get particularly good ratings despite its great hype. That's a whole different story, though.

Well, not particularly about Astro Boy not being a japanese production, but certainly about taking a dead man's work and altering it for ultimate profit.

Maybe I should stop starting every sentence with "well", though.
unsure.gif

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Who cares about if this game is similar to another one (it´s not that this is that unusual these days and back in the days
wink.gif
) as long as the game makes fun. Just try it out if you like it okay if not forget the game. It´s so easy.

mb42375

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This game is not that great. You are much better off to just keep playing a boy and his blob or go get the older game klonoa which is awesome. I even would take Tak for the WII over this garbage. It looks awful and the gameplay pretty much stinks although you can fly and have a few good weapons kind of reminds me of megaman just not as good.

lonegreyride

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well i gotta come to the defense of this game somewhat. Most people seem to be saying it "seems" or "looks" crappy... how about actually giving it a chance?

I try out pretty much every new game that comes out, and I have to say this game is more fun than any I've played in a while. Took a few minutes to figure out how to use all the controls, etc... but other than that (and the cutscenes), I think this is much better than most are giving it credit for.

ibis_87

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Kinda meh for me. Flying sequences are not bad, but the beat-em-up parts just don`t work, IMO. And- IMO again- the game is not even close to the stellar looks of the Conduit. If I did`t leard from the thread I would`ve thought it`s a ps2 game ported over to the Wii and PSP.

lonegreyride

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I thought the beat-em-up parts were the best, but not until I really got comfortable with the controls.

Anyway, this is old now... whatever. I just feel like most people around here just like to go with the opinion of the majority, whether or not that's based on anything in the first place.

I dunno, to me a good game has slipped by a lot of people for no good reasons here. If people play it and don't like, fair enough. I know I've found it the least boring game I've played in a good while, including Dead Space Extraction.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and co op
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, kind of like mugen or rivals of aether?
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and also ahve the option to play as a human
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or set it up that when you get injured past a certain point they have to replace your human parts with cybernetics
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i have a placeholder enemy sprite i made
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or have it that you don't know you are a cyborg, robot, and you find out and have a existential crisis
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or have it start in the virtual world and you are an ai that gained sentience
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    btw gonna wash my face in a bit, my eyes feel tired
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and you convince your owner to help you break out of the virtual world to real world
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Eyes - "yawn"
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you bleack in to goverment computer systems to get cyborg schematics so you can get a robot body constructed
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    btw @BigOnYa the health bar doesnt decrease when i take damage (and yes i put the "at the beggining of the scene change value of greenflatbar: set to Protagonistcopmode.Health::Health())
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    i the protagonist
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    human, robot, cyborg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    human with cyborg enhancements
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or like terminatior
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    with living tissue
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty there is health behaviour you can add to your character, then to use a health bar is lil more complicated, google n watch a few tutorial video on it, be too hard to explain here.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, the character has the health behavior
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I know you have to create a health and health max variable. Then there is a calculation you use in code to subtract width size of the health bar. Google few vids.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, the "greenflatbar" is one of the preset health bars btw
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you can use any bar/sprite. It will just change the width. Ok good luck and have fun. I'm off to go shoot some pool at the bar. Talk to you later.
    +1
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea you can use any bar/sprite. It will just change the width. Ok good luck and have fun. I'm... +1