Gaming Why is the upcoming Switch game called Xenoblade 2, was Xenoblade X not canon?

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
X was more of a spinoff. Its definitely not a sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 looks like a direct sequel to the first title.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quite simply because Xenoblade Chronicles X takes place in a completely separate universe from the original Xenoblade. Seems that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is meant to be an actual sequel to the first.

It probably would've been better if they gave Xenoblade Chronicles X a different name, but probably named it that way to borrow hype from its predecessor's success.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firstly, there are 3 series in the 'Xeno series' owned by 3 diffterent companies
Square Enix-Xenogears
Namco-Xenosaga
Nintendo-Xenoblade

In those there is Xenogears, Xenosaga ep. 1/2/3, and Xenoblade 1/X/2

However, there are 4 'canons' in the Xeno series. (bad wording but I don't know what else to call it as timeline might imply they are all directly related somehow)

Xenogears
Xenosaga games
Xenoblade 1 (Xenoblade 3D was a port of 1 in case anyone was unaware)
Xenoblade X

right now it looks like Xenoblade 2 is either going to be in the Xenoblade 1 canon or in its own canon but we don't know enough to be sure and we might not until the game comes out as it certainly looks to be in the distant future if it is a sequel to 1. They may also very well come back to the X canon later as well if 2 is a sequel to Xenoblade 1.

Someone should explain this to the idiots currently working at my local gamestops. They telling people X is also a remake of the Xenoblade and that Xenoblade 2 is also another remake (but with extras and an extended story) for the switch. Who ever fired the original staff at these locations was extremely stupid. The level of stuff they knew were on bar with the temp. These idiots are extremely casual gamers and probably don't know the differences between the NDS, the N3DS and New N3DS.

Last edited by chartube12,

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone should explain this to the idiots currently working at my local gamestops. They telling people X is also a remake of the Xenoblade and that Xenoblade 2 is also another remake (but with extras and an extended story) for the switch. Who ever fired the original staff at these locations was extremely stupid. The stuff they knew were on bar with the temp. These idiots are extremely casual gamers and probably don't know the differences between the NDS, the N3DS and New N3DS.

Well to be fair, no one should be looking for their video game news from employees at Game Stops.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well to be fair, no one should be looking for their video game news from employees at Game Stops.

Not all gamestops are bad. It just happens to be, once employees know too much they get fired and temporarily replaced with idiots, who will do anything and everything possible to get sells. Eventually they will be fired and replaced with real gamers. It's a sad and sicking cycle. Don't know how gamestop stays in business. I personally don't get my news from GS anyways. Just happens I over here these idiots selling stuff to the soccer moms and grandparents of young children and teens

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not all gamestops are bad. It just happens to be, once employees know too much they get fired and temporarily replaced with idiots, who will do anything and everything possible to get sells. Eventually they will be fired and replaced with real gamers. It's a sad and sicking cycle. Don't know how gamestop stays in business. I personally don't get my news from GS anyways. Just happens I over here these idiots selling stuff to the soccer moms and grandparents of young children and teens

Even if you have faith in employees at GameStop, I still think its a poor place to go to get video game info. Go to reputable sources you know you can trust like IGN or Kotaku (for news anyway, I know people have taken issue with review scores from IGN in the past).

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i think it have something to do with chronological orther X (10) is really far
and 2 is just what comes after or few decadde / centuries after
The X isn't roman numerals, it more akin to "megaman x", where it denotes a spinoff/different direction.

Reactions: Alkéryn

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because Xenoblade X sucked that's why :P

Because X was so bad. They want us to forget. I'll never forget, though.
it was only lackluster because it was incomplete . . . you can tell. . . when they ripped the music/sound bites from the game they found after battle voice clips of Celica and lao interacting even though you never you never get the opportunity to have both on your team at the same time
not to mention the censorship (not just the boob slider but . . .) a bulk of the story was not present as it was deemed too religious for localization (the church and cross were a big part of the original story)

Last edited by wormdood,

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The X isn't roman numerals, it more akin to "megaman x", where it denotes a spinoff/different direction.

Yup, in Japan, X in titles is actually typically pronounced "Cross," Megaman X, Monster Hunter X, Monster Hunter XX (pronounced "Double Cross"), Project X Zone, etc. Its why The Nintendo Switch was code named NX meaning Nintendo Cross (which I can only imagine was meant to imply Cross-Play - on the go or on the TV).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-