tijntje_7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello there,

I have a problem with my internet.
Multiple times a day, my internet disconnects or gets a HUGE ping, I obviously don't really care when browsing, but I do when I'm playing some online games
frown.gif

This is somehow worse when I play league of legends. The disconnects are after 17:00 mostly. (Which I think is kinda strange) before 17:00 I have no problems at all most of the time. But that's probably 'luck-based'. It is actually true, that my disconnection rate is way higher than normal when I play League of Legends. (I don't know about my ping though
tongue.gif
)
My internet is wireless n
Router = cisco WRT160NV3 (is link)
My wireless internet pci card = Tp-link TL-WN781ND
Drivers are fully updated (I'm pretty sure I did it right, I even did it multiple times to be sure it's not a driver problem..)

Router is placed (simple chart)
http://img860.imageshack.us/i/naamloosqj.png
There..
I guess around 8 meters total distance, probably even less.

Does anybody have the slightest idea what might be causing this? I have no problems with internet at all on my iPod touch, neither does my mom with her laptop (though, she just told me she wasn't able to connect a a little while ago)

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Have you checked the status of your router directly after the lag spikes/disconnects? Sometimes routers under load will randomly reset themselves. It can take between 10 and 160 seconds to reboot, depending on the router.

The more connections the router has to deal with (both WAN side, like with torrents, and LAN side with wireless devices), the more likely it will randomly reset at times.

tijntje_7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I haven't checked my router (yet) after a lag spike/disconnect, but I can reconnect 10 seconds after most of the time (though, it's still pretty laggy :/)
We don't have many devices connected to our internet. My pc, my mom's laptop, my iPod.. And when my sister is home her phone and laptop, nothing more really. I also always pause my torrents while playing games (not that I download much with torrents, and yes, I'm serious)

Also, if it matters, I run windows 7
And according to when I connect my browser to my router via my ip-address, the router set-up thing. The firmware of the router itself is 0.0.01 outdated or something
tongue.gif

I'm on v3.0.0.1 iirc, newest is v3.0.0.2, at least, there is newer firmware available. I'm pretty sure that if I would try to update it I will screw it up and everybody dies. Could this be a part of my problem?

tijntje_7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Splych said:
hmm. . .
reduce internet load ?
sometimes , when you have a lot of programs that use the internet , it increases ping .

eg. downloading something will increase your ping .

Well err... yes, I knew that
tongue.gif

When I play any online game, I'll stop my torrents (if any are running -.-), and stop any other download. My actual connection bars drop sometimes, it actually disconnects. I'm not specifically looking for a way to fix my ping if you read my first post well. (Or have I made a mistake in my first post
ohmy.gif
unsure.gif
)

Also, if it matters. When I connect my pc with ethernet (I do that sometimes when downloading steam games for example) I have no problems at all, very stable and very high bandwith (3 MB/s ftw!
biggrin.gif
)

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tijntje_7 said:
Hello there,

I have a problem with my internet.
Multiple times a day, my internet disconnects or gets a HUGE ping, I obviously don't really care when browsing, but I do when I'm playing some online games
frown.gif

This is somehow worse when I play league of legends. The disconnects are after 17:00 mostly. (Which I think is kinda strange) before 17:00 I have no problems at all most of the time. But that's probably 'luck-based'. It is actually true, that my disconnection rate is way higher than normal when I play League of Legends. (I don't know about my ping though
tongue.gif
)
My internet is wireless n
Router = cisco WRT160NV3 (is link)
My wireless internet pci card = Tp-link TL-WN781ND
Drivers are fully updated (I'm pretty sure I did it right, I even did it multiple times to be sure it's not a driver problem..)

Router is placed (simple chart)
http://img860.imageshack.us/i/naamloosqj.png
There..
I guess around 8 meters total distance, probably even less.

Does anybody have the slightest idea what might be causing this? I have no problems with internet at all on my iPod touch, neither does my mom with her laptop (though, she just told me she wasn't able to connect a a little while ago)
My guess is that it's those strange black lines emanating from your router.

But seriously, most likely it's an issue with the router itself. I would try asking on a router forum or trying the Live Help through the site.
I use to love Linksys routers, but in recent years they've seem to have gotten pretty crappy. I bought a router a few years back that would drop the wired connections every 10 or 15 minutes like clockwork. While looking for a solution, I found a bunch of other people had the same problem. Eventually an update was released to solve the problem, but by that time I had ebay'd the router and bought a new one.

Actually, now that I fully read your post, I'd look into trouble shoot the wireless card first.
Since other devices aren't having the issue, it's more likely the card.

tijntje_7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I tried something. 5 minutes after installing w7 on this pc, (or about 5 mins, who cares) The automatic windows drivers were installed. They worked greatly for the first week. After a week I had a bit of lag, it worsened. I installed the actual drivers from the website, that driver was the most up-to-date one.

But now, I took the box of my wireless card. Used the cd included to install the driver. My wireless is on 3 bars now, and I haven't encountered any problems (yet, I did this 20 mins ago
tongue.gif
)
I think this might actually be working
biggrin.gif

(still 3 bars
biggrin.gif
and internet is fast. Might still be luck though >.>)

Holy edit: HOLY F*CK MY INTERNET IS TERRIBLY HORRIBLY INHUMANELY FAST O_O I DON'T EVEN (/caps) know if those words exist.
I can stream 1080p? ;_;
This is a dream come true what the f*ck XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • OfficialGamer @ OfficialGamer:
    I think so yea
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    that explains, I already have over 500 messages in here, but I'm not making a thread every single day
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I will continue to ask what ever I feel like asking. lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    not the type of thing I would do
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @NinStar, most of my exp comes from my reaction score and threads posted
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I mean, I've never seen a message on a thread with more than 30 reactions at max
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just be a mod, insta likes for xp
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    and based on the table reactions only give 1 xp
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And insta fear from your enemies
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @NinStar, i always posted on the eof meme threads
    xp is arbitrary anyway
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just like the like system people think it matters
    likes got introduced like years after I joined
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still feel as if they take away conversation
    post anything dumb, people will like it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eggs
    perhaps the rag tag team of idiots isn't awake yet...
  • OfficialGamer @ OfficialGamer:
    When I remake my Wii system menu theme I'm gonna publish it to GBAtemp for people to have it if they want to idk I'm bored
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or busy humping each other
    digital circle jerk
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Zoom dcj
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sir please stop wanking during this meeting
    +2
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sir please stop wanking during this meeting +2