Gaming Why does my ags-001 have a backlit screen?

Therobman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i picked up this sp off Craigslist for cheap the tag on the back says ags-001 but it definitely has a backlit screen I thought only the ags-101 had them? Maybe a clone? It plays dmg and gb color games as you can see and only has 2 brightness settings

Last edited by Therobman,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
It's also a JP model, which is a little weird to find in the states. AFAIK, Pearl Pink was only ever released with AGS 101 SPs, so it's possible the label might be misprinted?

I don't believe it could be a screen swap, AFAIK they use different pins and nobody has made a converter cable (that I'm aware of, anyways, besides OG GBA backlit mods like Afterburner).

Reactions: slaphappygamer

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's also a JP model, which is a little weird to find in the states. AFAIK, Pearl Pink was only ever released with AGS 101 SPs, so it's possible the label might be misprinted?

I don't believe it could be a screen swap, AFAIK they use different pins and nobody has made a converter cable (that I'm aware of, anyways, besides OG GBA backlit mods like Afterburner).
Shell swap then? You can definitely fit the internals of a 101 model into a 001 shell, I did it last year :')

Reactions: zfreeman

Lemon_

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
That sticker looks kinda odd. It might be from someone who swapped AGS-101 hardware into a new case from aliexpress or some sort.

Therobman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess it could be a shell swap but who wants pink lol and it could have been swapped a while ago but the case has seen better days and the lens is pretty scratched. I picked it up for 10 bucks, I'm going to open it and either case swap it or just swap the screen into my non sp now I'm curious more than anything.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
dunno, I got my Japanese DS Phat , and it had all the 4 brightness levels an usual DSLite has. Amazing invention nonetheless Iwata - san!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all...