why does it feel better to play retro games on hacked console?

AyanamiRei0

GBATemp's Resident Evangelion fanboy.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Very true although I do not know of many people who do that although I for one do that with my phone so I can play the GBA pokemon games on the go without my hand-held.

Yeah for me I emulate the Gen 3 Pokemon games and I do own them Japanese Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald and two PAL region Emerald carts

AyanamiRei0

GBATemp's Resident Evangelion fanboy.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Likewise I just thought you would emulate and have the carts if you use something like the retron for example or if you dump your saves.

I wouldn't trust the Retron with any of my games sure it's a pretty neat thing for emulation and If I needed to dump any of my GBA save files I would just use my Flash card in my DS Lite for that purpose

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like filters in general when it comes to emulation and it's the worst when you can't turn them off
Personally my own view torwards them is mixed. I like them as long as they do not affect the FPS but generally from my own experience they often do unless what you are emulating is weak.

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer emulations as it saves me space. Having all my games on a HDD is really cool. Plus I can use different controllers, save states, cheats, filters etc. The cons for me would be sometimes transferring saves from one emulator to another can be a pain. Example transferring the save from an SNES to a PSP.

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Things that are very nostalgic to me: I'd rather play on it's original hardware or trough backwards compatibility (I like playing OOT or MM on the Zelda Collection's Disc on my Wii more than on a PC with an emulator)
Things that aren't nostalgic.. well, yeah, I'd rather emulate it, if I even can handle it. Almost all of the systems I currently own are nostalgic to me though...

Reactions: Kvnrdrguez

Xuman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although I do love having the OG consoles (Im only missing an xbone, sega saturn, and dreamcast in my collection now) I like the idea of playing console games on handhelds and vice versa. Seeing GBA games blown up, or taking snes games as I go just feels nice. Although my consoles still get love either by games ive bought, downloaded, through flashcarts or other means, it just feels nice playing them in new ways. Thats why I'm hoping the thing about reicast being ported to vita becomes true

Reactions: Kvnrdrguez

Kvnrdrguez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I grew up playing retro games using pc. I am quite accustomed to the GUI, but these days, I feel it feels better to play retro games, especially nintendo games on hacked Wii. naturally, I prefer to play playstation games on hacked psp or PSN. although console emulators on pc is great, but I don't ever feel I want to use them anymore. The only emulators I need on PC are probably dolphin and pcsx2 since they are not available anywhere else.

I don't like playing on android devices as well. although the GUI is very simplistic, but the feel is just different when playing from a console. I bought ipega controller for a while and sold it as it gathered dust.

does anyone feel this way or you're indifferent regardless how you play your retro games?
I Feel The Same,My hacked Wii Is A Beast For Gaming In General.

Reactions: eriol33

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer emulations as it saves me space. Having all my games on a HDD is really cool. Plus I can use different controllers, save states, cheats, filters etc. The cons for me would be sometimes transferring saves from one emulator to another can be a pain. Example transferring the save from an SNES to a PSP.
Save space in real liife or on your Storage disc? :P

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as the game runs smoothly, all I'm going to care about is having a comfortable controller. For example, the original NES controller is blocky and a little rough on my hands, as such I'm much more happy to play NES games on a Wii or Wii U with a Wii U Pro Controller which is incredibly comfortable (as well as wireless), yet I'll take that original NES controller (and especially the later "dog bone" NES controller) over using a Wii-mote on its side, as that's just not nearly as comfortable as those older controllers.

DaFixer

Dare to be stupid
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
With console's and handheld's I don't care where to play retro games on, if the emulation/controlls is great.
Now I have build a nice RetroPie setup that I can play all my retro games on my big Samsung screen with scanlines filters on to look like a CRT TV.
But with old home computers is a another story:
I like to look around in my storage box for my C64 games on floppys.
I love the sound of reading disk's in my old Amiga500/C64 disk drives.
And I love the load sound of loading games of tapes on my C64/ZX Spectrum.

exdeath255

Trophies
Website
www.com
XP
Country
Canada
depends on the system being emulated for me.

If i have a controller that is close to the original while playing on pc its good enough for me. ps4 gamepad for ps games , gamecube controller for dolphin, etc.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulation VS original hardware, for me is an almost case by case basis. Sometimes it's better to emulate something for different reasons. Sometimes it's better to use original hardware. Both have advantages and disadvantages sometimes at the same time for the same game... lol

I do a lot of emulation, but for me it's mostly because I love the convenience of it. I literally own most of the hardware and software I emulate. But to have 20 different systems and computers connected is a pain, and that's with out even getting into digging out boxes and boxes of software, trying to find the game I am wanting to play.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @genistopitauniverfrocrami, What drugs is this dude on?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    CRAZY HAMBURGER
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @NinStar both nes remix 1 and 2 had some stinkers in there
    +1
    but at least 2 doesn't have sports games
    loved nes remix, but hated having to play Baseball, Tennis and Golf in order to progress
    +1
    or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.
    Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol
  • cearp @ cearp:
    What stuff were you burning?
    I used to burn tons of dvds (data files) many years ago, but haven't burnt a disk in ages.
    My car actually reads MP3 CD's lol
    So mix CDs for myselt :)
    Pantera, Metallica, Hollywood Undead, Five Finger Death Punch, some others lol
    I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol
    if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I hope your brother is doing ok Mr BakerMan
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool
    +1
    BakerMan yeah me too.... maybe that's gonna be dinner for me there is this place near me I have been dying to try and they have them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I miss usb mp3 players they were shit but at the time a go to
    @The Real Jdbye, I thought about that and I have blank DVD's and Blurays but honestly after like 90 songs I just listen to it a couple of hundred times toss it out and burn something else or have like 2-3 CD's. Florida here the heat in the car tends to ruin the CD's after like a few months even commercial pressed ones don't last too long.
    my music collection is just too big, i require variety
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: my music collection is just too big, i require variety