Why do you buy games?

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, I agree it's a crime, all right. But it's more akin to stealing an idea than theft. I mean... You wouldn't say Jesus Christ was stealing bread and wine when He made some illegal copies, right? ;)

The thing is : I'm frankly fed up with the 'it's all the same' attitude some people have. And just as well worth the 'one company made millions on one product, therefore it's okay if I pirate everything' the other camp tends to use.
Situations just can't be boiled down like that...

It’s a subject that will rage on forever no doubt. I don’t think it can be justified for anyone but I know first-hand how it feels when your a one-man development team and there are a couple hundred thousand more people playing your game, than there are bought it.

But I’ve never bothered trying to prevent it, the way I see it, those people would never have bought the game anyway. That’s generally how it goes.

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
the way I see it, those people would never have bought the game anyway.
It's a fallacy IMHO. That's how everyone is convincing themselves it's ok to pirate.

People wanting to play a game should naturally pay for it or else leave it alone, unless developers accept to work full-time without a salary!

A simple example out of my head : When you buy a car (the console), you need to pay for an annual insurance (the software).
Do you drive without insurance saying "I wasn't going to drive anyway?!!"

Last edited by depaul,
Reactions: Alexander1970
D

Deleted User

I've been gaming on PS2 and 3DS both consoles which I just downloaded the games and stored in a USB/SD, just so much more convenient.

I have been buying games although it's usually go resell them.

D

Deleted User

First of all, piracy is illegal.

Secondly, buying games means you support the developer.

Third, sometimes piracy isn't even worth the hassle.
The only way to support developers is if the customer buys directly through a retailer or a digital store, otherwise they don't get anything from the marketplace sellers.

I currently live in two countries where they used the PAL system and I hate that the PAL versions were generally slower, so I refuse to buy old PAL games unless they have a resale value.

Example of a game being allowed down:

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The only way to support developers is if the customer buys directly through a retailer or a digital store, otherwise they don't get anything from the marketplace sellers.

I currently live in two countries where they used the PAL system and I hate that the PAL versions were generally slower, so I refuse to buy old PAL games unless they have a resale value.

Example of a game being allowed down:

Erm...is this a joke post? PAL 50 has been discontinued since the dreamcast days (so basically last century). If that's your excuse not to buy games, then you're seriously reaching for straws.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't really get into games I didn't buy. there's no incentive to play them. that's why I was in a rut last gen. I literally played close to no new games.
Bonus in that case is with this gen having no games you can go back and play many of the old ones for next to nothing (a few are shooting up in price, mostly RPGs that got small releases and the usual quirks like lawsuits). Last gen I had one of the best times in gaming I have ever had, and after the first year or two most still hold up today (though I also found a lot of gamecube stuff holds up today).

Reactions: godreborn

delilah23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lithuania
Yeah, I think it's mainly about supporting developers who worked on making this game you're enjoying. Game development industry can be really exhausting, so we gotta appreciate them people

Nobody_Important4u

Barely real
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I really don't care about "supporting developers".

But i just feel more motiveted to finish game if i buyed it also i like having physical version with a nice case and manual a d all that useless stuff lol. Also when i have game like that and i can sell it possible for better price if it's old mwahaha.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I Switch games because I am keeping my Switch on OFW this time around.
PS4... well at a some point I really started to like collecting the boxes so here we are.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work