Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And automobile is the designated term for car, which doesn't stop us from saying car because car happens to be easier to pronounce. Car isn't an acronym of course, at some point in history it used to be a neologism, but it was so popular that it entered dictionaries - that's how new words are created and there's nothing weird about this process.

As several people have told you, creating acronyms is a normal process that most long terms go through in order to improve fluent communication. GameBoy Advance may be the name of the product, but I already posted an example where even a Nintendo representative, and not just any representative - Iwata himself uses the term "GBA". It's not uncommon.
He's a lost cause Foxi, he's making you try way too hard. :/ Just let him do what he wants. I'll be right there with the people that poke fun at him for being dumb. >.>

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sony Executive: we sell the PSP, PS2 and PS3

Nintendo Executive: we sold the NES, Game boy Advance, Nintendo DS.

Atari Executive: we sold the Atari Twenty Six Hundred,
the FiftyTwoHundred, and the SeventyEightHundred.

these are the proper designations terms.
I seriously don't get what you are getting so worked up about. This would like complaining about people calling a television a TV or a bicycle a bike.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure it wasn't an Atari twenty-six hundred?

Because that's an acceptable name as well. :P
ITS MY FUCKING NICKNAME!!!!!!!ONEONE etc...I mean EEE-TEEE_SEEE

Actually we just called them Atari's.

This commercial is fucking rad:

Reactions: BortzANATOR

superspudz2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you work for sony? Do you work for nintendo? Do you work for atari? No. can you state what the proper terms are? No.

like i said, the TV commercials never say GBA,
they have taglines like "the all new Gameboy Advance, buy it now",
or "PSP, get you game on", i know its PSP because Sony Coined the Phrase.
otherwise we would have called it "handheld playstation" or "Sony portable"

only old TV Hosts that read off teleprompters say it GBA.

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Actually, No.
As Foxi already stated, Iwata, a worker FOR NINTENDO since its early days, has said GBA, actually saying, or PRONOUNCING, Gee-bee-a.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fgh

Ahem....where do you see the abbreviation G.B.A. ?

Nintendo Officially released the Gameboy Advance, they never put any code on it.

gen227.JPG

Oh, BFD, look at the bottom left corner of the box, it says "ABG-001" the system code for "Advanced Game Boy". Other systems have them, too, the Gamecube is often abbreviated as GCN, and they are widely accepted, heck, even in Japan they phonetically call it "GBA" because saying "ゲームボイーアドバンス” is quite a mouthful to say. If you don't like abbreviations and how they're pronounced, then stop being a pillock about it.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd say just deal with it. People can say whatever they want, and it really doesn't matter.

On a related note, I pronounce DSiXL as a single word.

Oh, BFD, look at the bottom left corner of the box, it says "ABG-001" the system code for "Advanced Game Boy". Other systems have them, too, the Gamecube is often abbreviated as GCN, and they are widely accepted, heck, even in Japan they phonetically call it "GBA" because saying "ゲームボイーアドバンス” is quite a mouthful to say. If you don't like abbreviations and how they're pronounced, then stop being a pillock about it.
Actually, the model number of the Gamecube is DOL. Just like how the DS was NTR, the DS lite was USG, and the Wii was RVL.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Alrighty then, kind sir. Please, continue driving your automobile (NOT car) back and forth your place of employment (NOT work) and/or educational establishment (NOT school), withdraw legal tender (NOT money) from automated teller machines (NOT ATM's), browse the World Wide Web (NOT the Internet, even though World Wide Web does not even mean "Internet") on your Personal Computer (NOT PC) with its wonderful IBM-Compatible Central Processing Unit (NOT CPU) while pointing at icons, buttons and hyperlinks (NOT links) with your Computer Pointing Device (NOT mouse) while I proceed to report this thread for lack of substance.

suppow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alrighty then, kind sir. Please, continue driving your automobile (NOT car) back and forth your place of employment (NOT work) and/or educational establishment (NOT school), withdraw legal tender (NOT money) from automated teller machines (NOT ATM's), browse the World Wide Web (NOT the Internet, even though World Wide Web does not even mean "Internet") on your Personal Computer (NOT PC) with its wonderful IBM-Compatible Central Processing Unit (NOT CPU) while pointing at icons, buttons and hyperlinks (NOT links) with your Computer Pointing Device (NOT mouse) while I proceed to report this thread for lack of substance.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

very soon, very soon...

3bbb7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

just because they say it like that on the commercials doesn't mean that it's wrong. Why would they say GBA on the commercial anyway? If they say GBA, a first time buyer might not know what it is. If they say the full name, Gameboy Advance then people will say, "Oh a gameboy I will get that".
I can almost guarantee you if you asked a nintendo employee if its wrong to say GBA then they will say no.

superspudz2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
im sorry i have to say this... who the **** is Iwata?

Goes to Wikipedia........

ok, hes the president of nintendo, big deal hes no Shigeru Miyamoto,
yet i allready knew that Reggie Fils-Aime is the president of NOA.

bosses are usually less informed than the employees.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
im sorry i have to say this... who the **** is Iwata?

Goes to Wikipedia........

ok, hes the president of nintendo, big deal hes no Shigeru Miyamoto,
yet i allready knew that Reggie Fils-Aime is the president of NOA.

bosses are usually less informed than the employees.
Right, right - the troll revealed its face.

You can't get any higher than "President of Nintendo", I think he knows how to call his own products.

Castiel

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

very soon, very soon...
Google translate:
This page is available, however, but because occasionally circumstances occur in which toil and pain can procure him some great. To take a trivial example, which of us ever undertakes laborious physical exercise, except to obtain some advantage from it. Or desires to obtain pain in the bullet train to find fault with in the pleasure of pain that produces no resultant good to flee. These cases are perfectly account of the system, the fault of those who are in the original text: this is to sink.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
my brain hurts.

also, i say Ness in swedish, but EN-EE-ESS in english.
and I also think Ness in earthbound got that name from ... the NES? no?

And dude, sony have said Playstation Portable in TV adds as well. and on shows like E3... "Puray suteeshun portabulu"... quite often. Just as ninty has said GBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol qbits almost taking a
    full gb of ram usage
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, qbittorrent?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    no I dont torrent
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then whats qbits?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A type of fish
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    gonna do my homework
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    see ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Man steams only downloading 15mbps
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    back
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, wdym thats quite fast
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Just upgraded to 1Gbps Internet, it was cheaper than the other company by a few bucks lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol 15mbps is fast
    Ken do I mention that I had 500Mbps and upgraded to 1Gbps and it is only 40 dollars a month?
    But honestly next month will likely be 10 bucks a month.... Dude called his boss and pretty much got a job out of the deal making like 30 bucks an hour.
    They get a 30 dollar discount being an employee lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, how much do you earn
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    After taxes enough for one meth pipe
    +1
    About 4K a month
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, that'll probably double within a year att?
    Well 4K then bonus and stuff lol
    Ken no I will be working for Satan.... Spectrum AKA Comcast.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I should call att just to see how they can beg me to come back
    +1
    But 10 bucks a month for phone and 1Gbps internet and make like 4K+ a month... I will work for the devil lol
    With that kind of money might get a Pi5 and an Orange Pi lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: With that kind of money might get a Pi5 and an Orange Pi lol