Hacking Why can't softmod read at 6x speed and only 3x?

turok4n64

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there some reasoning behind this? It just seems with all the hacking that has occured on the Wii that this would have been fixed along time ago.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The backup loader uses (or used to use?) the DVDX library. The library has the limitation of only allowing DVD drive access at 3x, which is something that we haven't been able to workaround at the moment.

iResilient

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This question is asked way too much. It's like I see a thread like this every other day. xP

It's because the disc drive's firmware on the Wii was originally meant to play DVDs for playback so they made it 3x, but that never happened so the DVD read speed just stayed at 3x. The good thing about this is if you play GC backups, the GC games won't lag since the disc drive reads GC games at 3x as well.

SirTempest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
QUOTE said:
QUOTE(ether2802 @ Feb 5 2009, 10:34 PM) *
rofl.gif ^^^^

the drive chip reads the first part of the disc inserted and then he says:
"......well this is a DVD disc, so it'll run at 3X..." and the drive says "....ok chief.."

When it is a WOD (Wii Optical Disc) the dialog is like this:
"......well this is a WOD disc, so it'll run at 6X..." and the drive says "....ok chief.."

If you have a ModChip, then the thing gets interesting:
"......well this is a DVD disc, so it'll run at 3X..." and the ModChip says "....What...??" *pointing with a gun at drive chip*, then the drive chip says "......Oh no forget it I didn't look at it well it is a WOD disc, so you know......6X go hurry..." and the drive says "...ok chief..."

did you like my history guys....??? biggrin.gif

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the following should be pretty accurate.

The security check on the wii is the same system used by the GC It's self. The disks are pressed with a special bar code that tells the drive exactly how to read it. The Backup launcher actually uses a feature that was built into the drive for video playback purpose. The system was intended to support DVD Playing. This feature was abandoned do to license issues..... Why N left the video mode in the drive is beyond me........ Regardless the loaders exploit this feature to bypass the security checks. unfortunately do to the bypass the wii doesn't recognize the disk as a WOD (Wii Optical Disk) But rather a DVD and therefore forces the drive to run at only 3x. There is no way to bypass the security check and allow the system to see the disk as a WOD without a modchip. The check is performed completely within the DVD Drive it's self and therefore it has no comunication with the system to determine the disk type, because of that there is no way a homebrew app on the system can spoof the drivechip response to the drive. In short there is no way in hell to do it with software. (Unless you are able to find a way to modify the wii's drive firmware)

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
turok4n64 said:
Is there some reasoning behind this? It just seems with all the hacking that has occured on the Wii that this would have been fixed along time ago.

Because you touch yourself at night...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/YMAa6obDNZs?si=rymChLKeTdyS8nqk