Hardware Why are people hating on Wii U?

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Um, not quite. Nintendo has been selling the system at a loss from launch, and it's been pretty well reported. (It's not a huge loss, and it's offset by game sales, but a loss is a loss any way you cut it.)

The console itself may be underpowered, but the tablet controller costs a pretty penny. That's what is inflating the price.

Honestly, I think they should just do what Sony did. For the first few years, take a loss. Get it over with. Slash the price, and let the games bring in the money. Sony took a loss for what, like 4-5 years and are now turning a profit?

snikerz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lesotho
I love my Wii U but the flaws? My god.
Nintendo should learn from Steam.
No, they really shouldn't. Online games and especially Steam are what turned video games from being great fun with your friends and family into boring pseudo-competitive shit losers play 10 hours a day and yelling at each other about who's better at violently killing random people on the Internet

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, they really shouldn't. Online games and especially Steam are what turned video games from being great fun with your friends and family into boring pseudo-competitive shit losers play 10 hours a day and yelling at each other about who's better at violently killing random people on the Internet

Have you even used Steam? Do you even know what Steam is? Firstly, Steam single-handedly saved PC gaming and has over 54 million active users. It's a platform used by many indie developers and hosts a large amount of player-created content/mods. The sales are amazing and can save you tons of money. Show some respect.

Secondly, Steam isn't just all multiplayer games. A large portion of all single-player PC games are available on Steam as well (Skyrim, The Witcher, Dishonored, Dark Souls, Grand Theft Auto, Half-Life, etc.). As for Steam's community, it's one of the most civilized and productive gaming communities out there. Compare the voice chat an average CoD match on Xbox Live vs an average TF2 match on Steam. Much less flaming on Steam.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

snikerz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lesotho
Have you even used Steam?
Yes, I did use it and it is massive bloatware that doesn't respect your basic rights. It's basically like Origin, except that you've come to accept it.

Steam single-handedly saved PC gaming.
That's the problem.

It's a platform used by many indie developers
Because they have no other chance, as Steam has become the de facto standard for game distribution on PCs. This is not positive.

The sales are amazing and can save you tons of money.
With Steam, you don't own the games you buy. Therefore you don't save money, as you didn't buy a copy of the game - you bought a limited license to use a game that Valve can revoke whenever they want without any legal consequences.

Reactions: Duo8

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, I did use it and it is massive bloatware that doesn't respect your basic rights. It's basically like Origin, except that you've come to accept it.

That's the problem.

Because they have no other chance, as Steam has become the de facto standard for game distribution on PCs. This is not positive.

With Steam, you don't own the games you buy. Therefore you don't save money, as you didn't buy a copy of the game - you bought a limited license to use a game that Valve can revoke whenever they want without any legal consequences.

Bloatware? If simply having Steam on your system slows it down, you need a better system. You can also stop notifications and start-on-boot in the settings.

Saving PC gaming is bad? I hope you aren't honestly suggesting that console gaming is better...

Steam is not the only distribution system for PC gaming. As you mentioned, Origin is used by a large number of games, although not as much as Steam. GOG is another distribution system used a number of PC gamers. As is the Windows 8 Marketplace. It's your choice which distribution system you want to use. Some indie devs publish their games on their own site, but others prefer Steam. Again, it's the choice of the developers.

I hope you realise that you NEVER own any PC games that you buy, even if it's a physical copy. When you buy a PC game. You're always buying a license for the game. Ever stopped to read the UELA for a physical PC game when you're activating it? That license can be revoked too. Steam is rarely know to revoke accounts. It only happens if you're trying to use proxies to access another region's game prices.

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
bloatware: he means its a bloated system that could benefit from streamliming

saving pc gaming is not bad, the fact that a service like steam saved it is bad

its not the only distribution method for indies but the one with the biggest install base - monopolisation

thats not wrong. when i buy a physical copy i own that physical copy and can play it even in 50 years if the system still supports it...

edit: im not saying that btw i just translate for you what i think he meant,..

Reactions: snikerz

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
bloatware: he means its a bloated system that could benefit from streamliming

saving pc gaming is not bad, the fact that a service like steam saved it is bad

its not the only distribution method for indies but the one with the biggest install base - monopolisation

thats not wrong. when i buy a physical copy i own that physical copy and can play it even in 50 years if the system still supports it...

edit: im not saying that btw i just translate for you what i think he meant,..
#inb4gahars Steam could really stand to be STEAMlined!

Kazekai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When compared to other consoles on the market, the price does seem pretty high (dropping it $50 would make it a pretty smart buy), but you have to consider you are getting the tablet as well as the console, so the cost is understandable.

My prediction is that once the really good first party titles come out later this year, sales will skyrocket. Just look at how well Animal Crossing did on the 3DS - and that's just one game. Donkey Kong and Mario are coming for WiiU, and look great. I'm really excited for them.

I actually bought a WiiU recently because I figured I'd get one while they are cheap because there is no way the prices are going to go anywhere but up from here on out.

What it comes down to is that, based on the last generation, the other two consoles will get more attention when it comes to "hardcore" AAA titles, so younger, more involved gamers will probably go for those. For me, and for many others who are older, buying a new console when most of the AAA titles end up coming to PC anyway seems a little silly.

The WiiU is the only next gen console that has really fantastic exclusives that offer experiences you can't find anywhere else, which allows me to justify the cost.

Me too! I don't buy into the casual/hardcore separation stuff that people throw around. ("Only casualfags/Nintendo fanbois play those games/consoles" and the like) but I do think someone who is considerably interested in video games can enjoy a Wii U and a 3DS just as well as someone with a passing interest. I've only played a little bit of Pikmin 3 but I can see it being a fun strategy game.

And I guess the thing about me personally is that I don't really play that many AAA titles outside Nintendo and the occasional medieval fantasy RPG, and the only appeal the other two consoles have is that the PS4 is indie-friendly. (I really want a Vita though, I just love handheld gaming, especially on homebrew-friendly consoles. >:3)

Plus, My Wii U was an investment. In 4-5 years the system will be ripe for the hacking! >:D Imagine how fantastic emulating PSX/N64 games might be if we can get them working on just the gamepad!

#inb4gahars Steam could really stand to be STEAMlined!

Well it can't hurt to take the STEAM out of Valve's constant updates.

Super Mario 64 is one of the all time greats.

Meh. I liked Sunshine way more, 64 felt old and broken when I played.

people who complain about the wii u launch are too young to remember that horrible xbox 360 launch with his last gen ports, shitty exclusives and the red ring of dead.

Viva Pinata was a good game - but that got a PC release >:3

Because it's basically a PS3 6 years too late. It has last-gen hardware and is not gonna receive a lot of the AAA multiplats. There are tablets with more CPU and GPU power than the Wii U. It also barely has any games as of now. That pretty much sums it up.

Oh boy, we're gonna miss out on CoD/BF games or other generic boring ego shooters, I can barely contain my regret and disappointment. :P

Oh please, Spyro on the PSX looks a hundred times better than Mario on the N64 and I'm sure everyone remembers OoT's square bushes. Blech. Good thing Nintendo remade that game so it wasn't such an eyesore. Now if only someone would remake the BK games so I didn't need to use emulator filters on them.

No I'm pretty sure that started in arcades...

I want Nintendo to figure out how2online though, none of my friends live close enough to me to play local.

(edited because I'm bored...)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would be a rattle and an echo
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ROFL LMAO LOL
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, burnt my eyebrows off
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @AncientBoi, is Marshall Mathers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    speaking of, you hear em dropped a new song today?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah everyone's riding his dick over a mediocre song
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not even an original either original melody is from the Cars
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait i thought it was the steve matthews band not the cars
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was cool he made it like the old ones but felt too obvious on what it'd be
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, the movie or actual cars?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right maybe was Steve Miller band, my bad
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah, i may be a dumb teen on the net, but i at least i know classic music like that
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @Xdqwerty neither, a band called the cars
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Rappers rarely use original melodies that's the entire point of sampling
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    samples and interpolations
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Dr Dre produced obviously also, so I'm sure they paid a pretty penny just to use it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    His original lose yourself hit came from Steven Tyler
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    like future and metro, kanye and the game, and logic sampling a part from an eazy e song, which was an interpolation from fuckin gumby of all things
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah most of them are all friends that gives the green light probably a division under UMG
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i was talking about my previous message, i'm just a slow typer
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or they are rich enough, possible they just bought the album rights outright
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Powerful people know powerful people celebrates politic more than we think
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/2zbf2l9Qx5U?si=73QvQ1hskQex7D1t