Gaming Why 2 different Amiibo's for the same character?

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still not 100% knowledgeable on amiibos and i havnt bought one yet but why would would they come out with 2 different ones?

Same reason a Batman toyline would have several different Batman figures in it, or Transformers lines have several different Optimus Primes. Because people will buy them.

Personally, I'm glad. I like the poses on these a lot better than the first set. A Luigi that isn't doing some stupid lean? Might actually buy a Luigi now.

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
Cash cow. :-P
cash-cow.jpg

Reactions: Nightwish

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Just so you know, it's $78 for 6 game boards, 6 players, 5 smash bros characters, 4 mario kart 8 costumes, 6 daily Amiibo presents in Hyrule warriors, extras in Treasure Tracker, and more to come. For just Mario Party 10, this isn't a good deal, all included, though, it's not bad at all.

It's like Steve Jobs all over again. No, it wasn't just an "iPhone" in 2007, it was a revolutionary mobile phone, a widescreen iPod with touch controls, and a breakthrough Internet communications device. See? That's THREE things and NOT ONE. I must be really stupid not to see the value in amiibo.

So let's go with that sales tactic of yours: to get the most out of the 6 amiibo from the Super Mario wave, I need to have Smash Bros., Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, and Captain Toad in addition to Mario Party 10. Is that what you're saying? Except there's a huge problem right there in the first game you mentioned: Smash Bros. compatible amiibo will be locked to Smash Bros. and can't be used with Mario Party 10 as both games read from and write to the amiibo.

Therefore, I need to buy Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, and Bowser twice to play both games. That's $143 that I'll spend on amiibo now ((6 + 5) * $13 = $143). But hey, that's not a problem since I get not one, not two, not three, but FOUR awesome Mii racing suits in Mario Kart 8! Day has been saved! And I still get 6 daily useless treasure in a completely lackluster The Legend of Zelda musou game. Finally I can play hide and seek with Toad! That's great, adding a full 10 minutes of additional post-game content to a 2-hour game. Now I know what I'm missing out on if I don't buy amiibo.
PLUS, you don't have to buy them all. I'm just going to get Mario.
You're absolutely right. You stay happy with just Mario and never getting bored of the same single board you can play in if you play amiibo Party. Because having more boards is completely stupid unless you buy more amiibo, right? See, I was very interested in amiibo Party's gameplay, but I'm not buying 6 amiibo just to have a bit of variety in the only game mode that makes sense for a Mario Party title and may actually have a resemblance to the good Mario Party games of old. But I have a choice, just like you said, I don't have to buy them all. In fact I'm not going to buy a single one because I'm skipping Mario Party 10 altogether for these shenanigans.

P.S. I'm sorry for being so rude, I had a long day.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Same reason a Batman toyline would have several different Batman figures in it, or Transformers lines have several different Optimus Primes. Because people will buy them.

Personally, I'm glad. I like the poses on these a lot better than the first set. A Luigi that isn't doing some stupid lean? Might actually buy a Luigi now.

You know, the Mario Party 10 Amiibos look very similar to the Mario figures that were once being give away with all Happy Meals:

super_mario_happy_meals.jpg

I have most of these so getting the Mario Party 10 Amiibos won't make much of a difference to it.

ReBirFh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
People also forget you can buy, unlock and sell without losing most of the current extra content and barely losing any money or that you could just borrow, unlock and give back the amiibo.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
People also forget you can buy, unlock and sell without losing most of the current extra content and barely losing any money or that you could just borrow, unlock and give back the amiibo.
In Mario Party 10's amiibo Party, the amiibo will store items for you to use in a later game of amiibo Party (source: http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/line-up/#/mario_party):
Save items to your amiibo, then strategically choose one item to bring along each game. It might just be the key to victory.
And in Smash Bros. the amiibo will train with you and learn as you battle to level up (to the current maximum of level 50). So that's quite significant data that affects your gameplay a lot / takes a lot of time to make. I'm specifically talking about how disappointed I am in Nintendo's practices when it comes to amiibo functionality that matters. I honestly couldn't care less that I can unlock Mii racing suits in Mario Kart 8 that I'll never use. So I'd never buy amiibo for that specific purpose.

You're also making it sound like amiibo has a huge second hand market, which isn't true. Even if you have "rare" amiibo complete in packaging, the listings on eBay are a dime a dozen so good luck selling your amiibo for any reasonable price. Don't even expect any money for your amiibo if you've taken it out of the packaging. So what sense does it make to spend and lose even more money on amiibo?

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Shinko, it's good that you brought this issue up so others have became aware as I spread the word with Nintendo's very own link and they're not very happy about it either.

It's no surprise that in top of paying £29 they'd also have to fork out up to £60 so in total... £90 (more or less).

This isn't what I was hoping for Nintendo to get with the modern times.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Don't get me wrong, I love amiibo. I really think it's high time Nintendo started making the Skylanders-like stuff (which is funny since they had the opportunity to have Skylanders exclusively from the beginning) so I'm very happy we have amiibo in the first place. However, the direction amiibo is going in makes me again cautious just like the direction Nintendo is taking with the Wii U is making me cautious. It's ridiculous because I love Nintendo as a company and what they stand for.

However, I can't let my nostalgic soft spot for Nintendo accept anything and everything they do. I pretty much have given up on Street Fighter because of Capcom's DLC model and I'm starting to give up on amiibo as Nintendo seems to treat it like DLC, only in the guise of figurines. As I said I already have one amiibo, Villager, who likely will stay as my only (maybe even last) amiibo for as long as I decide to support the Wii U. Next year I'll probably have all of my Nintendo stuff in a garage sale so if someone here needs Villager for $0,50 just wait until next year.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

ieatpixels

Trophies
XP
Country
because people want those characters (mario/luigi/peach etc) in non-fighting stances.

the characters look different in smash bros.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
. Finally I can play hide and seek with Toad! That's great, adding a full 10 minutes of additional post-game content to a 2-hour game. Now I know what I'm missing out on if I don't buy amiibo.

Why do you think Captain Toad is only a 2hr game? I've already spent more than 2 hours on it, and I only made it up to the first boss. I suspect that the harder levels will take more than 2 hours each to win.

Also, we are getting close to Wii U homebrew and piracy. So don't be surprised if sometime in 2015 you can pirate Mario Party if you want. Or, even if you buy it, don't be surprised if we have cheat codes to unlock all boards without the dumb Amiibo.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Why do you think Captain Toad is only a 2hr game?
Because I've completed all 82 levels with all stars, challenges, diamonds, and speedrun targets unlocked. It took me maybe 6 hours total to do all of that. I could easily play the entire game much quicker. 2 hours is what I think it takes to get from the beginning to the end, casually. If you made it to the first boss only in 2 hours then that's your pace.
I suspect that the harder levels will take more than 2 hours each to win.
:lol:
Also, we are getting close to Wii U homebrew and piracy. So don't be surprised if sometime in 2015 you can pirate Mario Party if you want. Or, even if you buy it, don't be surprised if we have cheat codes to unlock all boards without the dumb Amiibo.
Are you seriously openly supporting piracy? I always support game developers, Nintendo is no exception, but if their game is not in line with my thinking philosophically, the last I want to do is to get that game, legally or otherwise. Anyway, if there's a way to unlock all boards without amiibo I may be interested in that, though it does say something about the game if I have to wait for a hack to appear to want it. :)

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you seriously openly supporting piracy? I always support game developers, Nintendo is no exception, but if their game is not in line with my thinking philosophically, the last I want to do is to get that game, legally or otherwise. Anyway, if there's a way to unlock all boards without amiibo I may be interested in that, though it does say something about the game if I have to wait for a hack to appear to want it. :)

This is gbatemp. It's supposed to be a pro piracy forum. I miss the good old days. I also miss the days of WiiNewz. When they shut down, I had to come to gbatemp. I can't afford to buy every single game that Nintendo makes.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Finally I can play hide and seek with Toad!
This should be something that they should be adding for free of charge but even then I couldn't be bothered to play Toad's hide & seek as it'd be as tedious as trying to find an 8bit Luigi.

Nintendo's really being lazy with Captain Toad stuff.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: wait +1