Who has a 2nd switch?

digipimp75

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the wise idea to notch the pcb to make room for the Trinket M0 wires to go to cleanly go to the back side. Multilayer boards apparently don’t like when you do that and will let the smoke out of multiple components.

I’ve since bought a ”D - condition“ board from eBay and am wrapping up the swap out…hopefully tonight but realistically this weekend.

Ahh yeah, that'll do it :(. On my first trinket mod, I was installing the optional vol+ strap and damaged the tiny resistor. The system still worked, but I couldn't turn the volume up nor could I enter RCM manually lol. It was a PITA to fix, but a good learning experience. Good luck!

Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh yeah, that'll do it :(. On my first trinket mod, I was installing the optional vol+ strap and damaged the tiny resistor. The system still worked, but I couldn't turn the volume up nor could I enter RCM manually lol. It was a PITA to fix, but a good learning experience. Good luck!
That is precisely the component that I was trying to avoid redoing by using the back-side alt points. That sucker is TINY!

Last edited by binkinator,

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
I have two switch consoles. One is my main unit (obviously) and the other one lies in the cardbox and catches dust. But i don't want to sell it because it is a launch unit and still on 1.0.0. And both have a trinket m0 installed. The oled model looks interesting. But not worth to buy imho. Having an oled panel instead of lcd is nice, but not a must have. The lcd panel doesn't need to hide (picture quality) either and is sufficient for my needs.

• Wow

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So im close to buying my second switch…….

Im considering to get a 128gb card this time (my first modded switch has 256gb)

Still deciding on that and im thinking i might only install games that i will actually
Play rather than just installing absolutely every game i can download lol

Wouldnt it be cool that once my second switch is modded that there was an app within homebrew that let you somehow copy games from one modded console to the other? Thatd be pretty cool u know……
Post automatically merged:

It looks basic but it's packed with powerful features, is rock solid reliable (and as above, very fast) and regularly updated. More important than pretty pixels.

Thats good to know

Do u think it’d be better to bulk install with DBI rather than tin woo?

Unrelated but Oh btw why is the homebrew app to download files/apps/tools directly on the switch itself so bloody poor

On the wii u almost every thing worked
St away on the switch im finding myself having to use my pc to download then transfer

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So im close to buying my second switch…….

Im considering to get a 128gb card this time (my first modded switch has 256gb)

Still deciding on that and im thinking i might only install games that i will actually
Play rather than just installing absolutely every game i can download lol

Wouldnt it be cool that once my second switch is modded that there was an app within homebrew that let you somehow copy games from one modded console to the other? Thatd be pretty cool u know……
Post automatically merged:

Thats good to know

Do u think it’d be better to bulk install with DBI rather than tin woo?

Unrelated but Oh btw why is the homebrew app to download files/apps/tools directly on the switch itself so bloody poor

On the wii u almost every thing worked
St away on the switch im finding myself having to use my pc to download then transfer
Yeah DBI works the best for me easily.
I haven't had problems with the app store thing tbh.

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah DBI works the best for me easily.
I haven't had problems with the app store thing tbh.
Nearly every single app ive download straight via homebrew on the switch has barely worked

Plus im not even sure you could download DBI or tin woo installer directly?

Makes me wonder why such important tools like that are non existent directly via homebrew

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nearly every single app ive download straight via homebrew on the switch has barely worked

Plus im not even sure you could download DBI or tin woo installer directly?

Makes me wonder why such important tools like that are non existent directly via homebrew
I don't know why stuff hasn't worked for you tbh.

I guess the reason DBI isn't on the homebrew store is because it's closed source. The store instituted a policy of not allowing closed source apps because of a certain other title installer that had all kinds of hostile code and was written by a shithead bigot.

• Love
Reactions: BaamAlex
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
I've modded about 20 OLED consoles by now and I've never seen anything like this before. All consoles I worked on boot within 5 seconds. I do notice a small difference between models with hynix emmc and samsung emmc, where hynix emmc model takes about 2-3 seconds longer to glitch and that's about it.

Maybe you are unlucky and got one with a hard to glitch SoC, I've seen people posting here talking about hard to glitch korean oled systems. Or your modder just did a shitty job.
By the way I got this sorted out. The issue is the timeout value currently used in hwfly's firmware doesn't work for certain NAND manufacturers. I've been using this patch for a few days and it has been working almost perfectly. If you do anymore Hynix Switches I'd try using a version of the hwfly-nx firmware with that patch added in. https://github.com/hwfly-nx/firmware/pull/3

I actually tried upping the timeout to 150 to see if I could get it working perfectly every time but it made failed glitches more frequent for me oddly. I have a suspicion as to why but I don't have time to investigate it. I'm still not quite as happy with it as my Mariko but I'd say it's good enough to use for homebrew development now, as opposed to what it was like with the stock firmware.

Reactions: randy_w

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way I got this sorted out. The issue is the timeout value currently used in hwfly's firmware doesn't work for certain NAND manufacturers. I've been using this patch for a few days and it has been working almost perfectly. If you do anymore Hynix Switches I'd try using a version of the hwfly-nx firmware with that patch added in. https://github.com/hwfly-nx/firmware/pull/3

I actually tried upping the timeout to 150 to see if I could get it working perfectly every time but it made failed glitches more frequent for me oddly. I have a suspicion as to why but I don't have time to investigate it. I'm still not quite as happy with it as my Mariko but I'd say it's good enough to use for homebrew development now, as opposed to what it was like with the stock firmware.
Madness. Almost worth swapping the chip out.

I’m running an experiment to see if a swapped emmc gets you banned. I swapped out a big emmc with a copy of my original and am logging into the eshop every day and playing Splatoon 3 to see if I attract any lightening bolts.

Reactions: CompSciOrBust

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nobody is reading what you post.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.