Gaming Which games to play with SP or Micro?

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really want the Mother 3 one or the Famicom edition, but it was more than I was willing to spend on it. At the time it was more of a " I want it because nobody I know has it" purchase, not really a long term gaming one.. So I might replace it with the SP for longer sessions and keep it for portable play, like on my flights overseas ;)

FF 3 on the DS is good, but I do wish they released a 16 bit version like they did for 4 on the PSP. It is faithful to the NES/Famicom version, but it is more vibrant and full of life. The mana games are by no means great, but I did enjoy Children of Mana just because it was a nice simple (repetative) dungeon crawler lol. Yep thats Nostalgia. It was weird having an RPG set in an alternative history on Earth but I kind of liked the setting. It starts off a bit slow though (after the initial fight scenes)

I agree, AW might be better on the bigger screen so you at least can see it better. I could play it, but I noticed it kept creeping closer to my face by time I finished

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thread for the clone is: http://gbatemp.net/t..._1#entry4176918

Somewhere around pages 2-4 there are details about how to get it and some of the shipping agents. I just looked on eBay and it seems SPs aren't as expensive as I thought, but it looks like a mixed back in regards to backlit screens, so there is some risk if you don't feel like asking around. Plus alot of the cheaper ones are used, so it depends if you want a used SP that might have a backlist screen or a new console that has been constructed by a third party with a shell case that can run carts + roms with it's own flash cart.

Edit: Whoops, didn't realise I double posted >.

Icealote

My Winter...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well when I was searching for a Micro, the Mother3 one had recently just put on sale and I thought about it a day and decided to buy it straight after. Thank god I did because I haven't seen anything cheaper than that ridiculous 499USD one. There is a Final Fantasy one at 150ish USD I think but needs a battery change on Ebay. There are plenty of Famicom versions out there and its pretty much up to you in what condition you want it at.

Hmm... PSP scene is a maybe for me. I never went into that area because it lacked RPGs for my taste lol but I do know it has a lot more the unique titles of Monster Hunter, Metal Gear and Persona which are so far the ones attract me. Not enough for me to want to own it though.

Thanks for the link. It seems rather difficult to get your hands on that SP. The middleman part of the service I dont feel safe with. Other than that looks pretty decent :)

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah $499US would be good if I was going to sit on it and sell it many many years from now to an avid collector who would spend more to get it.. But what involves having alot of patience. I considered buying one and at least trying to see how the faceplate looks on the black verison, but it might be pretty ugly.

The PSP scene originally intreged me becaused I thought the idea of portable FF7 would be nice, but I didn't like what the console offered at launch and stayed away from it until last year. A portable device that can run my old PSX games was a great selling point.. Plus it has Disgaea on it!

Mhmm, the middle man service is what has scared me also, but there are a few reports of it being ordered without a problem. I am waiting for my Android gaming tablet to come in and then go from there to see what works best. My collection has certainly grown since I discovered this site >.

Icealote

My Winter...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
... PSP plays PS1 games... what have you done my friend?! Great now I'm really interested though I do now remember the loading times on the PSP and PS1 titles were really slow. Though the only title on PS1 on my mind I really want to beat and has held my interest since I was much younger was Alundra. That game made me think hard on what to do because that game for the first couple of hours for me was blindly running everywhere and figuring out what to do. I thought it was a Zelda clone but it was much better! (for me of course). I'll think about it much later after I finish my GBA library which will take me maybe next year? LOL

I'm so clueless when it comes to the PSP. I don't know which version is exactly good. I've read 2000 is the best of both worlds as 3000 lacks some homebrew stuff :S

Can the Vita do the same? Play the PSP titles and PS1? :S

I'm never taking the faceplate off mine. Made me sad when I broke my first silver micro not too long ago because I shoved the paperclip too far that it shattered the inside of the Micro. Yes I have no idea what I was doing lol. So I'm stuck with a Super Robot Wars faceplate and a silver faceplate which I'll keep.

Same for me. I would never know about the SP or Micro..plus the whole flashcart scene with the DSL.

I'm not sure if I completely understood the whole middleman service for that SP but I'm thinking for the total amount you just go buy a brand new SP and their prices have dropped. I'm only guessing that since Vita has released, people are getting rid of their older consoles (PS1,PS2,GC,etc) to make way for future consoles to take over.

Probably save whatever platformer games I have for the Micro :) It's funny to play River City Ransom. Reminds me so much when I played NES back then. Those pixels...

Reactions: 1 person

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... PSP plays PS1 games... what have you done my friend?! Great now I'm really interested though I do now remember the loading times on the PSP and PS1 titles were really slow. Though the only title on PS1 on my mind I really want to beat and has held my interest since I was much younger was Alundra. That game made me think hard on what to do because that game for the first couple of hours for me was blindly running everywhere and figuring out what to do. I thought it was a Zelda clone but it was much better! (for me of course). I'll think about it much later after I finish my GBA library which will take me maybe next year? LOL

I'm so clueless when it comes to the PSP. I don't know which version is exactly good. I've read 2000 is the best of both worlds as 3000 lacks some homebrew stuff :S

Can the Vita do the same? Play the PSP titles and PS1? :S

I'm never taking the faceplate off mine. Made me sad when I broke my first silver micro not too long ago because I shoved the paperclip too far that it shattered the inside of the Micro. Yes I have no idea what I was doing lol. So I'm stuck with a Super Robot Wars faceplate and a silver faceplate which I'll keep.

Same for me. I would never know about the SP or Micro..plus the whole flashcart scene with the DSL.

I'm not sure if I completely understood the whole middleman service for that SP but I'm thinking for the total amount you just go buy a brand new SP and their prices have dropped. I'm only guessing that since Vita has released, people are getting rid of their older consoles (PS1,PS2,GC,etc) to make way for future consoles to take over.

Probably save whatever platformer games I have for the Micro :) It's funny to play River City Ransom. Reminds me so much when I played NES back then. Those pixels...

Haha yep. You need to convert the images into 'eboots' and install a custom firmware, but I found it to be quite easy. I don't have a problem with the load times since I only own 1 UMD game, my memory cards aren't as slow as I thought ;). I downloaded Alundra, Wild arms 2, Suikoden 2 and a whole bunch of other RPG titles that either never came out or I never finished. I beat Alundra, but it was still such a fun game.. I don't know many people who played it either. Finding out what version of PSP is 'best' is like asking whether Sony or Nintendo produce the best consoles. It'll be split opinions. I personally love my GO, but look it up online and you will find countless hate threads all over.

You have the robot wars faceplate too? Gee that is another rare one to find. This forum helped me figure out all that. When I found out you could get handhelds to play roms/homebrew I was amazed. Alot happened during my gaming hiatus apparently :D.

RCR is great.. apparently there was a graphical remake for it but I am yet to find it. I loved the original so much, it was a fun time-sink.

Icealote

My Winter...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wow you're so far ahead of me in games lol

So what games have you completed on the Micro that I have in my list? It may give me some ideas :D

ammaralmuary

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Malaysia
have you played harvest moon ? btw , nice list you got there , played most of them but there are still some i have not played yet ..
summon night 3 ( i think ? ) is also good! but it is in japanese though ,, still fun to play !

Icealote

My Winter...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
have you played harvest moon ? btw , nice list you got there , played most of them but there are still some i have not played yet ..
summon night 3 ( i think ? ) is also good! but it is in japanese though ,, still fun to play !

Thanks! I did my best to search many top GBA lists to find them. A lot more patience on the ebay finding a decent price to get it and ship to my location lol

Harvest moon on the DSL yes but not GBA. I'm not a fan of it since I used to do real life farm stuff and I hate it LOL
Yes I've read about there being another Summon Night, makes me sad its another great game only exclusive to Japan. I only buy the real carts. I dont want to pirate these :P

ammaralmuary

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Malaysia

Thanks! I did my best to search many top GBA lists to find them. A lot more patience on the ebay finding a decent price to get it and ship to my location lol

Harvest moon on the DSL yes but not GBA. I'm not a fan of it since I used to do real life farm stuff and I hate it LOL
Yes I've read about there being another Summon Night, makes me sad its another great game only exclusive to Japan. I only buy the real carts. I dont want to pirate these :P

wow , never had a farm life so , maybe playing harvest moon is more fun for me :P lol .

i have a the summon night 1 and 2 in cartridge . i must say .. they are awesome ! :D

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My girlfriend grew up on a farm but she is the opposite, she loves her old harvest moon game :P. I think she enjoys it when it's able to be turned off and she can walk away from it though.

I have only played through Golden Sun 1 all the way on my Micro, I only picked it up after Christmas and then had to get my flashcard in order, and then got distracted by my GO. I attempted a playthrough of Mario Kart since I almost finished the 3DS one but I had to stop because my tactice of holding items behind me as a shield was taking it's toll on my poor finger. GS was good though, I could play that for a good length of time each session. I have also played through a bit of my Pokemon Emerald (it came with the Micro) and that was fine too. The screen was easy to read, I could just throw it in my pocket when I got bored of it and could just get back into it again when I felt like it :)

Icealote

My Winter...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Haha nobody likes doing those chores I assure you! :D Too bad Rune Factory isn't on this generation.

Pokemon looks stunning on the Micro. Whoever told me to get a Micro is a winner. They were right to say the screen is the best. I'm surprised its smaller than a GBA cart though. I'll give GS a shot as well on the Micro if my SP is charging.

Todderbert

Korg Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you played Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga? Fun game. You can get an EZ-Flash for homebrew. I enjoy playing Powder.
xu77p.jpg
21dn3br.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe