Gaming Which game(s) do you play more on your wii?

Which game(s) do you play more on your wii?

• Wii games

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • Gamecube games

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Classic games via emulators (SNES/GBC/GBA/etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

eriol33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I got a cheap Wii that I bought in 2015, but I got it solely to play... gamecube games. if my memory serves me right, the only wii game that I ever finished was Fire Emblem Radiant dawn. I haven't played so many wii games that don't have gamecube/classic controller support. Super mario galaxy series are awesome, but my wrist is getting incredibly tired from playing that game. I really wish they incorporate some method to enable normal controllers.

But these days, I mostly use it to play GC games because I never had any chance to play any of the games when it was released.

DarkDante

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I used to play Guitar Hero a Lot!
But I really loved rune factory and a Harvest Moon games so that’s my favorite.

Another one was Call of duty black ops really nice game.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It's still probably the system I use the most simply because the amount of libraries it gives you access to while being small (and not noisy, unlike the PS4 pro we have in the living room), and having a variety of controllers to play all those games. Also, 240P, if you want it.

Besides Wii and GC games (which each have lots of good stuff to play on their own), being able to play a large list of older system's libraries is a great plus. Because of that I find myself jumping from Wii to GC, from GC to NES, from NES to Mega Drive, and from Mega Drive to PS1, etc. I can't give you rough estimates of the time I've spent with each (Wii/GC/Others), but it's safe to assume that I've spent several hundreds, if not thousands, of hours with each.

In fact the last thing I've completed was Digimon World using WiiSXR (which works pretty well besides a couple of random crashes I got in 50~ hours of gametime). It's still as annoying yet compulsively playable. And now I feel like playing Viewtiful Joe or Sonic Adventure 2.

I don't know, I just keep changing and playing whatever I fits my mood.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if there was a menu as smooth as the nes/snes classic on wii I would sure as hell be playing non stop emus on there though I'm mixed on the wii vs. gc, depends on what's goin on

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
btw, I just realized that Wii supposedly cannot run SNES VC games, but can we inject SNES VC games on wii? will they run well?

... I may not be understanding your post. Are you saying that the system can't play Super Nintendo Virtual Console games? Because that's simply not true, if that's what you're saying.

I remember buying several SNES games from the Wii Shop and beating them. Super Mario RPG, Super Metroid and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past among them, and never had a problem with them (besides living in Europe and having to endure 50hz versions of the last two games, the first one never came to Europe so we got the NTSC-US version). The only problem I had were with some PAL games like the special edition of Donkey Kong (NES) that comes with the Red Wii. It plays at a strange resolution, and then doubled, so many modern tvs can't show image (although you can hear sound).

On the other hand, I've never dealt with injecting. The emulators available for the Wii work great (I personally use 1.0.0.2 Retroarch's Snes Next core, and Snes9x for superscope games, which you can play with your wiimote, and some Satellaview games). You don't have to install wads and risk your system, and I ra.

if there was a menu as smooth as the nes/snes classic on wii I would sure as hell be playing non stop emus on there though I'm mixed on the wii vs. gc, depends on what's goin on

I don't need cute GUI's that I'll see for a second before choosing a game... But damn, those menus are quite nice to look at, you're right, and the music is quite catchy, makes you want to play something. Although probably they'll get a bit annoying while scrolling through dozens of games.

eriol33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
... I may not be understanding your post. Are you saying that the system can't play Super Nintendo Virtual Console games? Because that's simply not true, if that's what you're saying.

I remember buying several SNES games from the Wii Shop and beating them. Super Mario RPG, Super Metroid and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past among them, and never had a problem with them (besides living in Europe and having to endure 50hz versions of the last two games, the first one never came to Europe so we got the NTSC-US version). The only problem I had were with some PAL games like the special edition of Donkey Kong (NES) that comes with the Red Wii. It plays at a strange resolution, and then doubled, so many modern tvs can't show image (although you can hear sound).

On the other hand, I've never dealt with injecting. The emulators available for the Wii work great (I personally use 1.0.0.2 Retroarch's Snes Next core, and Snes9x for superscope games, which you can play with your wiimote, and some Satellaview games). You don't have to install wads and risk your system, and I ra.

I don't need cute GUI's that I'll see for a second before choosing a game... But damn, those menus are quite nice to look at, you're right, and the music is quite catchy, makes you want to play something. Although probably they'll get a bit annoying while scrolling through dozens of games.

yes, sorry my memory is hazy, I thought SNES VC only appeared after Wii U release? or was it released on Wii as well?

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I use my wii mostly for emulation and Gamecube games. That's not to say I don't play Wii games on it, there's just not a lot of Wii games I know about that are worth playing.

The Wii had the misfortune of being so successful (like the DS and PS2) that it got a ton of shovelware. We don't have to worry about shovelware on consoles now because of how good mobile devices are now (with even some cheap phones now being quad core), but this was not the case back then.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,
Reactions: eriol33

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
yes, sorry my memory is hazy, I thought SNES VC only appeared after Wii U release? or was it released on Wii as well?
Don't worry! We're talking about a decade old thing after all.

It was on the Wii. Wii had NES, SNES and N64, while also got games of their "rivals" from back then, the Mega Drive/Genesis, TG-16/PC-Engine, MSX, and Neo Geo.
The systems that got added during the Wii U were the GBA and DS, if I'm remembering right.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't worry! We're talking about a decade old thing after all.

It was on the Wii. Wii had NES, SNES and N64, while also got games of their "rivals" from back then, the Mega Drive/Genesis, TG-16/PC-Engine, MSX, and Neo Geo.
The systems that got added during the Wii U were the GBA and DS, if I'm remembering right.
Yep. The Wii was powerful enough for GBA emulation though.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The game I played the most is xenoblade.
The things I launched the most are homebrew, I spent days developing and debugging usbloadergx, I spend more time in that game loader than actually playing games.

I don't play anymore, even if I have a lot of game in my backlog on wii. I try to complete the game I start so priorities are putting wii games away for a moment.

The game type I play the most on Wii still is Wii game.
I rarely play gamecube (only due to lack of time, I have already enough games to play on each plateform), but it's a good console to play gamecube, no need to plug my actual gamecube console to tv anymore.
I never played on emulator on wii.

Last edited by Cyan,

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yep. The Wii was powerful enough for GBA emulation though.

Certainly, and I'm very thankful (and impressed) for mGBA working so damn well on this sytem!
--

Xenoblade ate dozens upon dozens of hours of my life too. Other two games that did that, of the top of my head, were Rune Factory Frontier and Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Dungeon.

Last edited by Maeson, , Reason: typos.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
can we theoretically injects GBA VC on Wii? (and will it run?)

I am aware with mgba, but it's always interesting to see how a first party emulator runs things
Nope because there was no official GBA virtual console. The closest thing is making a .wad version of whatever GBA and GBC emulators there are.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Haven't played any game on a Wii for many years, but:

2008-2011 almost only Wii games (with a small amount of VC)
2011-2012 almost only GC games Animal Crossing

I guess I'm technically playing Xenoblade on Vwii once a month but I vastly preferred the N3DS version I played first

---

can we theoretically injects GBA VC on Wii? (and will it run?)
The 0rangechicken warez team made some GBC/GBA VC channels (modifying a homebrew emulator with a realistic Home menu, single rom loaded from nand, save to nand, professional icon and banner...) but they completely disappeared and never released instructions

---
NES/SNES/N64 were there at VC launch, some other console brands were added later (and some like arcade and C64 completely disappeared later without warning or explaination)

Last edited by Ryccardo,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
isn't it the same game?
it's only graphically different, no? 3DS is downgraded, but I thought it had the same gameplay. (I played with the classic pro, it's easier/better than wiimote)
The gameplay is the same, but small N3DS weighs less than WiiU gamepad especially when holding it upwards in bed, plus health/time/controls/stuff are way less annoying since they're on the bottom screen!

Reactions: Cyan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER