Android where's the task manager?

Twilight Loz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a xperia play finally. Kinda hard getting used to the os. Got android 2.3.3. I would like to know if there is a shortcut to get to the task manager to terminate any running programs as opposed to going to the settings > application > running application. Is there a button where I kept press like you do in iPhones/iPad etc?

The_Dragons_Mast

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Depend on weather the phone have a native task manager or no . Try a long press on the home button & see if there is a task manager option under the recent apps . If nothing is there then just download Advanced Task Killer from the market .

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have the Verizon version, there is none other then going into Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage applications.

But don't worry about having to close apps after exiting them, that was only a problem with old android phones (and android prior to v2.0, which came out 2 years ago). Android now intelligently closes background tasks when it needs more memory, and task killers only have negative effects.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Advanced task manager. Download it, it'll stay in your notification bar and you can set intervals and amount of apps it kills. I have mine set to Crazy and every 30 minutes. Works like a charm.
omg. :glare:

Let me see if i can find my old post about task killers.

Edit: First of all, which phone do you have and what version of android?
Omg.

Tasks can restart and eat the same amount of memory. Advanced Task Manager will kill those tasks constantly, which I must admit helps a little bit but not a lot.

I have an HTC EVO with 2.3.3. Along with that I have a ton of apps that will constantly restart in the background and eat up my battery and memory.

EDIT: Your last link there pretty much gave a perfect example of how Advanced Task Manager works just fine. Thank you.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Edit 2 edit: Did you read the article or just the headline?
The article. Along with explaining why task killers aren't a good idea, it also explains how certain task managers used right can work just fine. So I will rephrase my first post. Use Advanced Task Manager if you know what you're doing and only when you feel your phone is having memory issues. Better?

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit 2 edit: Did you read the article or just the headline?
The article. Along with explaining why task killers aren't a good idea, it also explains how certain task managers used right can work just fine. So I will rephrase my first post. Use Advanced Task Manager if you know what you're doing and only when you feel your phone is having memory issues. Better?
I didn't get the impression that you were only killing particular apps that were misbehaving when you said
I have mine set to Crazy and every 30 minutes. Works like a charm.
And it's not like that spelled out the nuances to this fine OP about how to use task killers. You just said set it to crazy and you'll be good.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Yes I admit I did poorly word my post, I have it set to crazy in order to kill certain apps that just don't. stay. closed. no matter what you do. I suppose explaining my situation better would have also helped as well. Oh well.

Twilight Loz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so let me get this straight... I shouldnt install a task manager?

And can someone tell me how to uninstall apps. I tried going on the applications settings but found out that only some apps can be removed...

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you don't want to mess in system files manually, install Titanium Backup and you can remove any apps you don't want with it.

You'll need to be rooted either way. (Certainly for TB, pretty sure for manually as well).

And no, a task manager is largely unnecessary. Apps never really need closed. If they aren't using CPU, they are doing no harm. And if they are using CPU, it's because they are doing something in the background e.g. downloading files or something. Either way, you don't want to kill them.

The only time a problem arises is if there is a bug in an app causing it to use CPU when it's not running. In this case, restart your phone. If that doesn't fix it, consider uninstalling the app and seeking an alternative, because there is clearly a problem with it. Otherwise, just kill it manually every time after you've used it (if it restarts itself automatically, definitely get rid of it)

Reactions: 1 person

Twilight Loz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh... it quite hard getting used to android after 4+ years of using symbian s60 v5 operating systems ^.^
another q:

I heard that theres an app called astro or apps2sd (there are several apps named 'apps2sd'. Can someone give me the link to the good one?) where it basically moves all your apps data to ur sd card to prevent the internal memory clogging up. Is this true?

you need to use a file explorer and navigate to
/system/app/
delete all unwanted apps from there
And can you name a good file explorer. Is there 'X-Plore' on android? X-plore is by far the best file explorer on s60v5 devices.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You should be able to move most apps to SD from the "Applications" section of "Settings".

Good file explorers: ASTRO File Manager, ES File Explorer, AndExplorer

All available in Market. AndExporer is quite minimal on features, it's more designed as a file browser for use by other apps (in some apps when you are browsing to a file, you will be asked to choose a file browser to use - you will need to have one installed to use these apps properly, and AndExplorer does the job nicely)

Twilight Loz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should be able to move most apps to SD from the "Applications" section of "Settings".
Apparently, that doesn't work on some of the apps pre-installed on my phone (the crap-ware).

I'll install ASTRO and tell you guys how much memory ive saved. Tbh, I haven't instlled that many things. When i got the phone, I had 259MB free, and since I got it, I only installed DeadWalking (something like that, a zombie game) and fruit ninja and a few apps.

Twilight Loz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So in astro I just navigate through the system folder and then the apps folder and then delete any apps/games that I don't want. Cool.
Another query, on apps2sd, I moved fruit ninja to my sd card although when I go to the sd card section on apps2sd, below the fruit ninja icon, it says 1.4mb. I thought the game was something like 30mb. Shouldn't it say 30mb?

The_Dragons_Mast

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
The 1.4mb is the amount remaining in your phone memory the other 28mb are now stored in your sd . As for deleting crap preinstalled I suggest you better use titanium backup to remove them & make a backup of all apps first just incase you remove some important system app .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Literally 300 lbs. lolol