Hardware Where to buy standalone emmc module (without memory chip)?

B_N_B

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Hi All, question is in the subject line.
If anyone could point me to a seller than that would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

B_N_B

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I don't think anyone sells standalone boards.
However, it might be interesting to clone the PCB layout and get a factory in China to print them. Bonus points if the board is open source.
Are you telling me all the ppl selling homemade 256gb and 128gb modules on these forums buy the entire module with the 32gb NAND?

B_N_B

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
ive been strongly considering making these, trying to decide if its worth the time/effort.
Basically, I have had to remove the nand from the board and I damaged the board during the removal process. I think buying a new board with the nand is overkill when all I need is the board which is worth no more than $1-$2.
Any suggestions?

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Basically, I have had to remove the nand from the board and I damaged the board during the removal process. I think buying a new board with the nand is overkill when all I need is the board which is worth no more than $1-$2.
Any suggestions?
Currently, there isn't anyone online that is selling the PCB only. Maybe that will change in the future.

velli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any suggestions?
the board alone is actually more costly than that, the molex connector itself is over 2 bucks at low quantity, the board without shipping would be a few bucks. youd probably only save a few bucks in the long run i think

Bowl0l

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
There's a comment that checked the NAND:
It‘s not the product as advertised. I was sceptical when I took a look and after checking it it turns out the Emmc was replaced. Instead of the original 32G module there was an older 64G Emmc module from 2014 solder onto it. I couldn‘t test the speeds for now but with an guide I could at least make use of all 64G on the switch instead of the 32G partition. As I want to use this for a 128G Emmc and I mostly needed the daugther board it‘s ok.

Additional feedback after 0 days

Here proof after following a tutorial for resizing partitions to use larger emmc in switch
UTB8AbG2ptnJXKJkSaiyq6AhwXXar.jpg_220x220.jpg

B_N_B

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
the board alone is actually more costly than that, the molex connector itself is over 2 bucks at low quantity, the board without shipping would be a few bucks. youd probably only save a few bucks in the long run i think

Sucks to be me then.
.... Maybe I should try replacing the resistor that I knocked off the pcb rather than replace the whole board.

velli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sucks to be me then.
.... Maybe I should try replacing the resistor that I knocked off the pcb rather than replace the whole board.
what component is missing? its probably 30 cents plus shipping to replace assuming you dont have one already lol can you snap a pic of the board? lets get you fixed up

B_N_B

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
what component is missing? its probably 30 cents plus shipping to replace assuming you dont have one already lol can you snap a pic of the board? lets get you fixed up

The component that used to reside where the purple circle is.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_20190715_233416.jpg
    IMG_20190715_233416.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 201

B_N_B

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
holy crap thats trashed. youre probably best off replacing that board. looks like half the bga pads are wrecked

The guy who made a tutorial on upgrading emmc recommended 390c-400c, but it looks like my hot air station is more powerful/more accurate than his.
Ooopsies

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might want to ask @MatinatorX if he has any suggestions. On his DragonInjector discord the other day he was talking about making an eMMC <-> microSD adapter, to make eMMC upgrades easier. The idea was that you could use the adapter to plug the upgraded eMMC into the microSD slot, use a payload to clone the existing eMMC to the new one, and then just open the Switch and swap eMMCs. Complete eMMC upgrade without needing a PC.

This was all mentioned in the chat around July 8th, I have no idea what progress, if any, was made on it. But if anything, I'm sure it's a project he'll get back to after the DragonInjector starts shipping, which should be really soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok