Gaming Where is Sony's response to fail0verflow/Twiizers?

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sony is like a sleeping beast, slow to start but will awaken the zombie lawyers when the time is right.

ok, thats bull their just taking their time to see what they can do about it(not much).

they took a week or so to respond the whole jailbreak thing during the summer.

Zerox8610

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ron975 said:
Title should be changed to

"Sony's response to their epic fail"

fail maybe. Epic? That word should never be used.

I'd expect their lawyers are looking into having information on Geohot's site and everything taken down.

If they really have no way of preventing code from being run after this, there WILL be legal action if nothing else. They need to find a fix, and fast.

You'd think with the most advanced console on the market their security would be... secure lol
They really should take Geohot's offer though, a good hacker trumped their entire security team, to which they pay untold amounts of money to.

Geohot, and failoverflow took down the entire system in their spare time...

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
we can assume it will go something like this

1) damage control
send out cease and desist letter to various site where the keys are posted
I think they will also sue geohotz

2) research into patching it
new hardware revision, new firmware, look into ways to patch old games
require new games to be written with a new key

3) detection
find a way to detect it which will include PSN bans (thats if we ever get back online)

ComplicatioN

Broken Barriers
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Joe88 said:
we can assume it will go something like this

3) detection
find a way to detect it which will include PSN bans (thats if we ever get back online)
Will these keys ever allow us to get back online?
And if so couldn't that mean there will be cheaters
ohnoes.png

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I have a feeling that Sony doesn't have a leg to stand on with this case. No one can copyright a number. Look at what happened with the HD-DVD key fiasco. Sure they'll send out DMCA notices like no one's business, but what will that really accomplish?

overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
Trophies
XP
Country
im all for psn, but if the wii has shown us anything, its that online will be filled with dirty dirty cheaters.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
TwinRetro said:
I have a feeling that Sony doesn't have a leg to stand on with this case. No one can copyright a number. Look at what happened with the HD-DVD key fiasco. Sure they'll send out DMCA notices like no one's business, but what will that really accomplish?
You do realize that essentially every computer program is a huge number?
Quote from IRC today when we were discussing this.

issy12

Trophies
XP
Country
im really happy that ps3 is close to being hacked and stuff, but in one way i hope that it doesn't because it just ruins everything for sony and they don't get much money from new games, and the online gets raped with hacking :/

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Zerox8610 said:
If they really have no way of preventing code from being run after this, there WILL be legal action if nothing else. They need to find a fix, and fast.
Apart from they can't "fix" it. Their entire security system built into the running of the console is fucked. You can't make the PS3 not run programs signed with these codes since that wipes every PS3 game ever made from running. There's no tell tale sign that would show that its been signed by a homebrewer or a developer.
Their only choice at this point is to make their next console even more secure and put that ahead. Problem is that they can't include backwards compatibility in that without having an open platform again (well, we'd have access to PS3 mode anyway and using that we might find some extra clues to get PS4 mode) which would cause no end of complaints from consumers.

There's unlikely to be any concrete court case over this. Sony are fucked. Its official.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
There's simply no way of getting this genie back in the bottle.

As for worrying about online cheating, never mind that, do you not remember the hacks for PSO which allowed you to corrupt the save file of everyone else in the lobby at the press of a button? This is more than just a piracy worry like the first Wii softmods or 360 drive firmwares, the whole integrity of this console generation for Sony has been totally compromised and taken out of their hands.

xDarkAngelx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony is officially screwed over this time, and they can't do much at all about it.
That said, I do feel for them--they've been working so hard so the PS3 doesn't turn into another PSP incident all over again. This is all completely out of their hands now, they've lost control.
That also said, I do think it's pretty cool. Kinda.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Just a quick thought but what does this mean for game devs?
I mean, Sony normally charges for licensing fees etc. Now anyone can make a game, sign it and burn it to a blu-ray disc to run on a PS3. Will game devs continue to pay Sony's license fee or just do it themselves?

monochrome.scene

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering but, has this ever happened on another console?
And well, quite honestly, I think the only thing Sony can do right now is make a new console and throw the PS3 and the PSP away. What else could they possibly do? I mean, I don't think companies would like to make games for these consoles anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-