Hacking When will Sky3DS team make DiskWriter v106 for 31 file limit fix?

Falo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Diskwriter is written in .NET, if you want to remove the limit then use reflector+reflexil and edit it...

But the limit is not just there to prevent you from adding more than 31 games, it's also the maximum sector size, if you remove it, you need to rewrite the sd sector table and maybe the card itself has this limit and then you can't do anything at all, because it's limited by hardware and not just software...

I can't test it if this is a hardware or software limit without having a sky3ds card.

Here are all "31" in the program:
Code:
// DiskWriter.PhysicalDisk
public void DiskBackUp(string BackUpFileName):
this.ReadSectors(128, 31);
and:
for (int j = 0; j < 31; j++)

public int AddImage(string filename, ImageParameters image_params):
    if (this.imageList.Count >= 31)
    {
        return -1;
    }

public int AddOverWriteImage(string filename, ImageParameters image_params, int iOverWriteStart, int ikey):
    if (this.imageList.Count >= 31)
    {
        return -1;
    }

public void GetImageLayout():
this.ReadSectors(128, 31);
and:
for (int i = 0; i < 31; i++)

// DiskWriter.DriveLayout
private void openFileToolStripMenuItem_Click(object sender, EventArgs e):
if (this.drive.imageList.Count >= 31)

private void worker_DoWorkBackup(object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e):
this.drive.ReadSectors(128, 31);
and:
for (i = 0; i < 31; i++) (2x)

private void restoreToolStripMenuItem_Click(object sender, EventArgs e):
for (i = 0; i < 31; i++)

private void sortToolStripMenuItem_Click(object sender, EventArgs e):
for (i = 0; i < 31; i++)

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Does anyone have problem with restore savedata to a specific game? When restoring, it won't affect anything but when deleted then replaced to another slot (rearrangement) it will load... It's stupid inconvenience.

D

Deleted User

I got a Sky3DS a couple of days ago. So far, every game I've tested works like a charm. I use 2 micro sd cards and I have 10+ games each.

The only issue I've had is about a micro sd card which wasn't properly read by the cart. The games were transfered by the diskwriter tool and read by the sky3ds, but when I tried to open those games, I got an error message. I used another micro sd card and the problem was solved.

So far, so good. =)

abaddon41_80

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a Sky3DS with a class 10 Samsung microSD for my brothers and the switching times aren't bad. It's between 6-8 seconds. The 32GB holds about 14 games so worst-case is about two minutes to go from the first game to the last.

Murtaza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
I bought a Sky3DS with a class 10 Samsung microSD for my brothers and the switching times aren't bad. It's between 6-8 seconds. The 32GB holds about 14 games so worst-case is about two minutes to go from the first game to the last.

what games have you tested
could you also tell me how to delete your posts....cause i'm a newbie

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia

You cant delete posts. You can only edit them.
and just so you know load time completely relies on your SD card's read/write speed. I've tested this this multiple SDs.

Reactions: Margen67

abaddon41_80

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So far I have tried,

Pokemon X/Y
Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
One Piece Unlimited World Red
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Ocarina of Time
A Link Between Worlds
One Piece: Romance Dawn
Fire Emblem
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Mario and Luigi: Dream Team
Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers

All have worked fine.

Murtaza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
So far I have tried,

Pokemon X/Y
Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
One Piece Unlimited World Red
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Mario Kart 7
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Ocarina of Time
A Link Between Worlds
One Piece: Romance Dawn
Fire Emblem
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Mario and Luigi: Dream Team
Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers

All have worked fine.

how much time it takes to switch games for you?

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Retro why are you trolling my thread bro?
I know ur still mad about Gateway bricking you and then adding insult to injury by having you hit F5 all through the holidays while we Sky3ds customers were busy playing games on the latest firmware,
but sheesh kid calm down. It's really not that serious.

Back on topic,
SkyTeam did say that another writer was coming that would free the limit from 31 games to "unlimited". The purpose of my post here is to communicate with them.
They obviously come here daily and have $invested$ in this site. So, I know for certain that they read it. After all, they have promo going here now. I just wanted to
remind them that they still have customers waiting for this support.

Grow up and quit acting like a spoilt child creating pointless threads like this then. That is my point, as these threads are full of people crying users over updates. And no I'm not mad over GW, I have a 4.5 console on GW Omega 2.7 now and another 8.1 JP New 3ds (waiting), so go figure?

Multiboy2k

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Grow up and quit acting like a spoilt child creating pointless threads like this then. That is my point, as these threads are full of people crying users over updates. And no I'm not mad over GW, I have a 4.5 console on GW Omega 2.7 now and another 8.1 JP New 3ds (waiting), so go figure?
1. Stand in front of a full length mirror.
2. Dont speak. Just look at yourself.
3. Now repeat everything you just said to me while looking in the mirror.

Cured!
Now, you can get off the meds.

You came to MY thread. Not the other way around.
So scram before I block you.

Food

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
buying a sky3ds is like buying a used car from a shady dealer
"will this car get me from point a to point b?"
"you know this car .. it gets the job done..."

lukas_2511

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The rom limit probably won't be removed without a new hardware revision or Sky3DS firmware update (if that is even possible). There are a couple of reasons.

Sky3DS uses the String "ROMS" inside the Sd-Card to identify if it is a Sky3DS Sd-Card, and not any random data. This string is located at byte 256 on the sdcard.
Between byte 0 and 256 there are sections of 2*4 bytes each that tell Sky3DS where a rom starts and how big it is.

This alone would give a theoretic maximum of 32 games, but there is more to it.

The first sector for rom data starts at 32MB, and the first MB of the sdcard is already used for section headers, the partition table and the small fat partition with "setup.zip" or whatever in it.
So there are only 31MB left between 1MB and 32MB for savegames, and each savegame is 1MB in size, so that means Sky3DS can only store 31 savegames on an sdcard,
so that is probably why it is limited to 31 games.

Card2 savegames are not stored in this area, but Sky3DS just ignores that slot for Card2 savegames, and it is a wasted MB, which doesn't really matter because our other maximum would be 32 anyway, and 1 more game... yea well, may as well use another Sd-Card.

If anyone is interested in more details, I have documented the layout here: https://github.com/lukas2511/sky3ds.py/wiki/Disk-Layout

Multiboy2k

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean this is really important, SkyTeam(tm).
You cant advertise, "Unlimited!!" when in fact there is an imposed limit.

It's a true story that no matter how big your sd card is you will not be able to write more than 31 games.
I bought a 128gb microsd for my NN3DS(aus) and cant even use have of it because of this limit!
You guys said that you were working on a fix a couple of weeks back. We are still waiting for you.

Update: I would still very HIGHLY recommend this card to anyone on the fence about purchasing it. It just plain works 100% of the time. Smash Bros, Pokemon, MH3U and even MH4(j) works! And, they all work online with having you to do anything special to your machine possibly bricking your 3DS. You plug it in. You play. Period.
Yes it's 31 games. But, I got around this by simply putting an additional 31 games on another sd card lol!

Enjoy!

Any questions feel free to ask.

Thank you for this card. You are appreciated.

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...SkyTeam did say that another writer was coming that would free the limit from 31 games to "unlimited". The purpose of my post here is to communicate with them.
They obviously come here daily and have $invested$ in this site. So, I know for certain that they read it. After all, they have promo going here now. I just wanted to
remind them that they still have customers waiting for this support.

w00t!!! :grog:

I also LOVE the optimizer. Pre-trim then optimize, scrolling is easy-peasy PLUS it's all backed up! Love it.

Now to use memory dump for catching IDs...

Gawd I wish I never went 9.5. They even patched 9.5+ for browser injection!? wtf!? Now I'm stuck on 9.5.0-22U... no updates or eShop. :-( Stoopid Nintendon't. Makes me mad. If they would listen to us, they'd probably make MORE money... but nooooooo... patch it. Pffffft.

Back on topic:

Can't wait for unlimited in Sky3DS. I want more than 31 games. I NEED more than 31. And you're right, not fair that 31=unlimited. False advertising. If we can't homebrew, then at least let us compact our cart carries onto a single so I don't have to lug a bag. Yeesh... :hateit:

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
More than 31 games are impossible from hardware site. Sky3DS isnt meant to be updated, it doesnt work like that.
The first ROM is always located after the 32nd MB (Address 0x2000000) of the MicroSD.
The first few bytes are sectorinformation for diskwriter and until 1MB (Address 0x100000) there is the FAT32-Partition with the Zip-file of diskwriter+template.txt
So there are 31MB left for savegames. Savegames are each 1MB in size. For card2 games that savegame space is still reserved even if its not used.
The addresses are forced in hardware. So you have to patch those addresses in the microcontroller of the sky3ds.

=>Not possible for >31 games per MicroSD
=>Sky3DS not upgradeble so there will never be a patch!

VeryCrushed

Devious Prorammer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R&D went into this in my thread a while back when i made a version of Diskwriter that removed the 31 game limit.

You will not get more then 31 games without Sky releasing a new cart. That is all there is to it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-