Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by LiveLatios, Dec 2, 2017.
I think discord tells us what happened there...
Third photo, at the top, that nail polish remover you have laying on it's side leaked (probably loose cap) and got under the Switch, where it sat for 2 days (see chat log) and ate away at the plastic. The white'ish color and flecks of white are from the dissolved paint from the lettering and plastic mixed together. If it was the battery it would have leaked out from the vent under the battery, but that side of the Switch is totally fine. Liquid got into the kickstand area from capillary action. Case closed, my dear Watson.
This makes the most sense.
Nicely observed. That does make a lot of sense, considering that battery leaking usually make a "foam" puddle, and not just something white.
Not to mention that battery leaks usually tend to lead to an unusable device.
At that viscosity (nearly water-like) it would have had to have completely covered the internal components for it to have flowed to the opposite end of the device and leaked out, which would fry it if you tried to turn it on.
So you suggest it is actually nail polish thinner/solvent.
That is actually quite plausible.
That would explain why the outer side of the plastic is damaged, and why the Switch still works.
I doubt it would still work if the battery was so damaged as to leak.
The battery would be dead so it shouldn't turn on and the acid should have come from the insides, destroying all the electronics.
In the other hand, if the "solvent" liquid came from the outside, and produced damage only on the outside, well... That would seem more fitting.
And it would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for this meddling kid.
Another mystery solved! Time for a Scooby-Snack!
Makes sense. And the acetone would have evaporated in minutes, leaving no liquid trace on the wood of the table.
There is some warping of the wood from liquid damage, the camera flash highlights it, but that may have been from a previous spill.
honestly, at this point this is much more logical than the battery leaking,
because the bottle was on it's side, i have cats so one could have sat on it to cause pressure for it to leak
the system powered on just fine and didn't short immediately
the microSD card was completely unnafected
Dried acetone traces aren't supposed to irritate the skin though. Maybe it could've been some byproduct of the chemical reaction between the acetone and the Nintendium.
But the Super Alloy N made out of Nintendium should be indestructible!
This is actually a lot of fun. Its like solving a murder mystery. But with a Switch.
What damaged his Switch? Tune in to GBATemp to find out.
People can have skin reactions/hives/itchiness from water if they are mentally preparing for it to be caustic... in other words, it could have been a psychosomatic reaction
There isn't actually that much lithium in modern batteries, it's trace amounts that won't cause a major reaction.
What does cause a major reaction is when the intervals of the battery short out due to one thing or another, which causes it to release all it's energy at once, in the form of heat.
It's fairly tidy, you should see my mess.
I didn't even notice at first because it's become the norm for me
Nothing and no one can be invincible. That's against the rules.
That sounds plausible. I have seen first hand the effects of acetone on plastic. It basically dissolves part of it into a pool and would leave colored residue like that shown in the picture. Some kinds of plastic are vulnerable, others aren't, but I've never seen battery acid make cracks like that, so acetone is more likely.
I do have to mention though that there isn't actually a gap underneath the battery-side air vent. The nearest gap is the one on the opposite air vent, which you can see on this picture from iFixit:
So if the battery did leak, that would be the most likely escape route. Not sure how it would get under the stand though, since there is no gap for it to escape through there...
It would only fry if the liquid actually conducts electricity. Water on its own is not a very good electrical conductor, but tap water conducts electricity due to the minerals in it. I don't know about battery acid though.
The thing is, the battery would continue to work as long as there is charge left in it and the protection circuit doesn't trip. And the protection circuit would only trip under certain conditions such as overvoltage, undervoltage, overtemperature and overcharge. So I don't think that alone is reason enough to think it's not battery acid. It's hard to tell at this point but the acetone theory seems the most likely.