What systems do you prefer playing on actual hardware?

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i actually have:

Switch Oled + HWFly
N2DSXL + Luma3DS
PS2 Slim + FreeMCBoot
PS 2 Fat + 1TB internal HDD + FreeHDBoot
PS3 Slim + HFW/Hen
PS 3 Slim + CFW EvilNat
PS 5 (OFW)
Game Cube
GBA SP

mostly i play with my Switch

Last edited by Purple_Heart,

pig_slaughterer69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
DS/3DS work best on original hardware, since they're designed for touchscreen and dual screens. I never liked playing those in emulator, even though they look much better in emulator these days with the option of increasing render resolution, they look weird and they don't control right.
This is true but I do intend to replay Mario and Luigi Paper Jam on an emulator. It's combat is challenging and I found it more challenging to play holding a 3DS rather than a controller and looking at a screen. I suspect I'll have the same experience with other games with challenging combat.
GB/GBC just look better on a smaller screen. They look very blocky on a larger screen, and they don't fill the screen. Not that I mind that too much, sometimes I'll play on an emulator if I can't be bothered to grab a Game Boy.
I agree. They look way too blocky. But if I play on actual hardware I'll complain the screen is too dim and I can't see things clearly enough.
I like playing my N64 titles on my overclocked N64. They play smooth as ever and I can't seem to replicate that on anything else besides my MiSTer setup.
Have you done any Digital Foundry style framerate tests? If I remember correctly, many games run at double speed on an overclocked Nintendo 64. At the same time I can't play an actual Nintendo 64 because sub 30fps games feel uncomfortable to play.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
This is true but I do intend to replay Mario and Luigi Paper Jam on an emulator. It's combat is challenging and I found it more challenging to play holding a 3DS rather than a controller and looking at a screen. I suspect I'll have the same experience with other games with challenging combat.

I agree. They look way too blocky. But if I play on actual hardware I'll complain the screen is too dim and I can't see things clearly enough.

Have you done any Digital Foundry style framerate tests? If I remember correctly, many games run at double speed on an overclocked Nintendo 64. At the same time I can't play an actual Nintendo 64 because sub 30fps games feel uncomfortable to play.
The only thing I notice is that in-game cutscenes run too fast, but everything else seems fluid. But even the overclock can't smooth out SF Rush 2049, that game is beyond hope for a smooth framerates.

4d1xlaan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's a lot of effort for wii games tbh, plus i have some games that just don't work well on dolphin either, weirdly enough as it is, but i do use dolphin for some occasional games that just let me use a gamecube or classic controller, which isn't many
also a bit of a waste of electricity to pull out my wii and turning it on just to power the sensor bar, i might as well just use the wii at that point
yeah, if you dont really care about graphical enhancement mods or save states and stuff then real hardware is the way to go

mlemm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3ds, Dreamcast (VMU), and N64

i didn't write gameboy, gameboy color, gameboy advance or DS because even though I grew up on the real handhelds, these days I like to play those games on Switch, Wii U and 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: