What role does knowledge play when on the internet?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Whom would rate as the weakest person in special forces? Answer -- It does not matter as they are probably still a hard bastard. Given a person can not be expected to know everything any more it becomes a matter of applicability of your knowledge set in a given situation (though some of the more interesting stuff comes from people that attempt to merge two or more areas**) and how well you can do debate, reason for things, counter the points of others and do other such things. Much like basic soldering I had not considered it a hard thing* but like the days of the early wii modchips apparently I was wrong.

*something happens or a hypothetical is posed, a person responds providing reasons*** why they might consider it good, bad, to have a point of failure and others respond either furthering the reasons or providing examples of why they might be wrong. This is repeated many times and a consensus of sorts is reached, this need not be a universal agreement on the nature of things and may be a "well I guess we now have to wait and see" type affair. There may be a difference in the definition of terms which should be corrected as part of that (see also the scientific definition of theory thing) and part of the universal agreement being impossible is others may well have different philosophies and debating that becomes counterproductive or possibly absurd... but the Quran says... but the law says...

***I have a rather long memory, have been around a while and spend pretty much all my days adding to it, see also "wasted youth". I appreciate not everybody is in the same situation but a grounding in most areas of stuff is not hard to get (you are on the internet -- you can probably watch a video series on it) and if you have made it to the point where you are adding something to the internet it is probably best if you have something like that, a working knowledge of the field you are debating or at least the ability to see why the parallel you are drawing might be applicable.

Of course I am all about being Devil's advocate and/or picking holes in any logic at any point in time, doubly so if it flows against the majority in a given situation. My absolute favourite is when people draw lines in the sand for rather broad fields (drugs are bad).

Humour type responses are also valid in a lot of cases.

One thing I do like to see is news influencing news. Personally I am somewhat hoping the Wii U will fail so I can hear whining for years to come of "It only failed because people did not believe in it". See also "we are not in a recession".

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That's a tricky question. I'd say as long as people don't act like idiots, unable to use the search function or read stickies (or google before asking) then it's fine. Otherwise they shouldn't be on the internet at all :P

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It plays an important role, considering that theres always people who just throw out things they just made up to support their claims.

Also, knowledge does improve most arguements, just becase many people argue without knowledge, or even checking in with google first.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
"Knowledge" means crap. Everyone on the Internet pretends to know everything, when in reality they just use Google and link to anything they find that happens to support their arguments.

So what any argument on this forum amounts to, is essentially Google arguing against itself :ninja:

Watch this craziness:

The Wii U is Doooooooomed!

The Wii U isn't Dooooooomed!

None of us has a clue what we're talking about D:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"Knowledge" means crap. Everyone on the Internet pretends to know everything, when in reality they just use Google and link to anything they find that happens to support their arguments.

So what any argument on this forum amounts to, is essentially Google arguing against itself :ninja:

Though I said nobody is capable of knowing everything it has been a lot longer since the majority of people could be a walking encyclopaedia -- knowing how to ask the question and/or having enough memory of keywords to drag up what you need is surely tantamount to knowledge itself.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Though I said nobody is capable of knowing everything it has been a lot longer since the majority of people could be a walking encyclopaedia -- knowing how to ask the question and/or having enough memory of keywords to drag up what you need is surely tantamount to knowledge itself.
My post was more of a tongue-in-cheek kind of thing.

I don't equate "intelligence" with "how much you know." The ability to reason and think critically about a subject is certainly more important than any knowledge you might have about said subject. Knowledge can always be acquired by anyone, but the logical tools needed to process that knowledge into a logical argument is what gives people the "appearance" of being knowledgeable. Not everyone has that skill.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Askdgasdfg.jpg

Reactions: The Milkman

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was the e a mistake or a barbed edit?

Also on the topic of knowledge, are you in the US, an American in the UK, a Brit in the UK or some other bizarre combo? Your flag contradictions confuzzle me...

What do you mean by barbed edit?

What does the flag on my Steam profile have to do with the thread in anyway? Much less relate to knowledge itself.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
What do you mean by barbed edit?

What does the flag on my Steam profile have to do with the thread in anyway? Much less relate to knowledge itself.

I meant was it intentional that you wrote snipe rather than snip?

And it was just a question, if you find it offensive or difficult to answer don't worry about it. As to how it relates to knowledge it has implications on a lot of things...for instance the educational systems and internet access in the two countries in question are very different.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant was it intentional that you wrote snipe rather than snip?

And it was just a question, if you find it offensive or difficult to answer don't worry about it. As to how it relates to knowledge it has implications on a lot of things...for instance the educational systems and internet access in the two countries in question are very different.

Ahh, I see what your going at, and it is clever. At first I meant to put snip, typo'd the e and left it there, figured it added character.

And while the educational system in the two countries may be different, they have little to do with knowledge itself, at least in my case. There's quite a few things I know that come from experience or independent research rather then a teacher or book in a classroom.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch