What is the most stupid thing you have heard from someone that they actually believed?

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are pretty dumb. We are mired in stupidity, and surrounded by people who have some pretty ridiculous deeply-held convictions or beliefs.

5G gives you cancer. COVID vaccines are the Mark of the Beast, and they are injecting you with nanites to identify you and put you in a database. Epstein killed himself. The Earth is flat. Every US President is secretly the Anti-Christ. You're "traveling", not "driving" a "means of conveyence", not a "vehicle". The BBC has vehicles that can tell what channel you are watching on your TV that you failed to pay a license for.

People are very stupid. What are some of the mind-bendingly idiotic things you have heard from people who genuinely, actually believed what they were saying?

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, this is a very good question. Screw it, I'll try to remember some things...

For one, people acting like *nix (unix, linux, whatever, these days they're basically the Same Thang with just a few minor differences) is inherently better than NT (windows) when not everything that's advanced (or otherwise runs on just windows, like many small homebrew tools from this very site!) such as Vegas 14 or Photoshop CS6 will run under Wine, and it's not like there's another video editor that can take in Vegas project files!
That, and in my experience Linux is more often than not more trouble to use as a desktop OS than Windows is. But for a server, yeah, no, linux is best.

Besides that... Genuinely the only thing I can even think of (besides people acting like the switch is bad due to being weaker) is just. people acting like Changed is at all a non-fetishistic, let alone good game. Bad gameplay, standard but still kinda shit controls, not even to mention all the shit I saw that some idiot tried to brush off as "weird posing". like mf those two were Having Relations.. besides that it was also a bitch to fully remove even after using steam achievement manager. I'll just shut up about that "game" for now since honestly. it's like the OLD_DATA from inscryption. The more you know the more dangerous it tends to be.
Post automatically merged:

Oh, and I tried to ignore things like "political" beliefs here (e.g. my dad trying to justify his racism with the "if black people only make up half the population, why do they commit most crimes" bullshit, or just in general both my parents being transphobic as all hell) since it's less so being stupid (although that is a contributing factor!) more so just being hateful.

Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
@jeffyTheHomebrewer I was specifically hoping that we avoid politics on this, because ALL of politics is stupid, making the entire topic a moot and potentially volitile point. Race, religion and politics are all equally stupid, and no one should care about any of them.
If anything I wouldn't even call those things politics. Politics should be "who should run this town/state/country" and "what should we be using tax money for", not "i think we're the only good Thing and all other Things should Stop". supremacy isn't politics, nor is facism. It's just hate.

catra

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
there is a lot, besides the fact that ppl think being gay, trans, bla bla is a sin due to a religion thats 1000 years old without backing of its truth (cus lets be honest, if it was certain without doubt that a religion was true then there wouldnt be 100s of them) anyways, thats too deep to say tho

i think my friend who said spanish ppl were latino and wouldnt back down ab it, despite a mexican telling her... latinos/latinas are from latin america

Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Adding this one.

All of the kids who swore that they were black belts in whatever, or that their brother or father or uncle or somebody was such a great fighter that their hands were registered as lethal weapons, and would go to jail for attempted murder if they so much as smacked someone.

Everyone grew up with at least five or six Garage Karate Ninjas.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer
Trophies
XP
I genuinely can't understand why some people believe this.

oof.jpg

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
People are pretty dumb. We are mired in stupidity, and surrounded by people who have some pretty ridiculous deeply-held convictions or beliefs.

5G gives you cancer. COVID vaccines are the Mark of the Beast, and they are injecting you with nanites to identify you and put you in a database. Epstein killed himself. The Earth is flat. Every US President is secretly the Anti-Christ. You're "traveling", not "driving" a "means of conveyence", not a "vehicle". The BBC has vehicles that can tell what channel you are watching on your TV that you failed to pay a license for.

People are very stupid. What are some of the mind-bendingly idiotic things you have heard from people who genuinely, actually believed what they were saying?
Two words: Flat earthers.
Their level of stupidity is incomprehensible... Watching them actually makes me angry, I just can't.

RetroGen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That COVID-19 vaccines are dangerous and part of some sort of conspiracy. I mistakenly thought that people would embrace modern science and medicine during the pandemic, obviously unaware just how susceptible millions of were to propaganda and mis/disinformation, largely based on political ideology. That said, my part of the world saw over 90% immunization, so that brings a degree of confidence, at least locally.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, this is a very good question. Screw it, I'll try to remember some things...

For one, people acting like *nix (unix, linux, whatever, these days they're basically the Same Thang with just a few minor differences) is inherently better than NT (windows) when not everything that's advanced (or otherwise runs on just windows, like many small homebrew tools from this very site!) such as Vegas 14 or Photoshop CS6 will run under Wine, and it's not like there's another video editor that can take in Vegas project files!
That, and in my experience Linux is more often than not more trouble to use as a desktop OS than Windows is. But for a server, yeah, no, linux is best.

Besides that... Genuinely the only thing I can even think of (besides people acting like the switch is bad due to being weaker) is just. people acting like Changed is at all a non-fetishistic, let alone good game. Bad gameplay, standard but still kinda shit controls, not even to mention all the shit I saw that some idiot tried to brush off as "weird posing". like mf those two were Having Relations.. besides that it was also a bitch to fully remove even after using steam achievement manager. I'll just shut up about that "game" for now since honestly. it's like the OLD_DATA from inscryption. The more you know the more dangerous it tends to be.
Post automatically merged:

Oh, and I tried to ignore things like "political" beliefs here (e.g. my dad trying to justify his racism with the "if black people only make up half the population, why do they commit most crimes" bullshit, or just in general both my parents being transphobic as all hell) since it's less so being stupid (although that is a contributing factor!) more so just being hateful.
The whole Linux stuff is very much opinionated. From a technical level yes it is better designed by far. Windows has some rather glaring issues on it's backend. But the issue with Linux is the lack of major applications. Whilst there are tons and tons of alternatives. There are a bunch of major apps people rely on that do not exist.

Last edited by Ryab,

RetroGen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thread turns political in

time to ignore.
That reaction ought to be a clue that someone's poorly founded beliefs are being questioned. If a person is self aware, they will take a moment to consider why they are reacting that way and do some serious personal reevaluation and fact checking instead of ignoring clear signs of cognitive dissonance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto