[TRAINWRECK] What is homebrew?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
About 20 posts on topic, a few more harmless extras and the last few pages a complete trainwreck out of 90 posts by the time I post this... very tempted to spit it and EOF the rest but it is not my job.

Edit. Fuck it.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Homebrew!
th

Demifiend

The bored one
Trophies
XP
Country
the 2600 was not the first console that came out lol
Quite complicated to explain, as wikipedia says "Homebrew is a term frequently applied to video games or other software produced by consumers to target proprietary hardware platforms (usually with hardware restrictions) not typically user-programmable or that use proprietary storage methods. This can include games developed with official development kits, such as Net Yaroze, Linux for PlayStation 2 or Microsoft XNA"

The first console wasn't the Atari 2600, the first real videogame console to ever been released was the Magnabox Odyssey, which was basically a pong machine, revolutionary for the time though, either way, going back to homebrew, remember that to create a homebrew you must to know all of the characters of a console you're intending to develop for, this includes knowledge about the Hardware, the Software, the limits and such, once you have all of the information, you can start programming things in new ways never done before.

To run homebrew, you need to mod either the thing you're using to play (Like a CD, or a cartridge, to put an example) or the product itself (Mostly consoles) in order to create homebrew, the history of Homebrew predates back in the 80s and 90s with the release of the NES, specifically, the NES versions of Brazil, Russia, China, etc. which included bootlegs of real games, as well modifications of them, those were the earliest examples of any homebrew probably made, and it's still on debate if that can be classified as such.

The rise of the homebrew began when the PSP was hacked, since Smartphones weren't as popular as today, people bought gaming consoles mostly to update their technology, and with the PSP a new world was discovered, it isn't called the Holy Grail of the Hacking consoles for nothing, multiple emulators, tons and tons of applications, and obviously, CFW's and backup loaders everywhere, this caused a revolution that it also affected the DS with the flashcards R4, which are among the most popular things ever in the world of hacking.

but the first to get homebrew AFAIK

It didn't, the Atari 2600 had Homebrew but not until reaaaaally later, the first console that had "true" homebrew, in some sort of way, was the Famicom/Nes, most respectively, their bootlegs version, which also included modified things from original games, this is probably the earliest example of any homebrew, if it can be considered as such.

Last edited by Demifiend,

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
but the first to get homebrew AFAIK
Nope the first Homebrew was on the Fairchild channel F it came out in the seventies and let you program on it straight out the box. And the first Homebrew for it was a game called lights out if I remember rightly

Last edited by AmandaRose, , Reason: I can't spell

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Nope the first Homebrew was on the Fairchild channel F it came out in the seventies and let you program on it straight out the box. And the first Homebrew for it was a game called lights out if I remember rightly
well, same for VCS afaik. xD

Didn't even know that this could be less powerfull compared to a vcs lol

Demifiend

The bored one
Trophies
XP
Country
Nope the first Homebrew was on the Fairchild channel F it came out in the seventies and let you program for it straight out the box.
Fair Enough (Pun Intended), but remember that the main purpose of the console was to program things on it, that is why they gave examples on things that could be programmed by any kind of rookie programmer, as a modern concept, Homebrew are things created for a console by altering things that the dev. didn't intended, but this could separate two branches, the one who understands Homebrew as "Programmable things made by normal people, mostly with a device that allows you to do so" and the contrary, so there is that.

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
get it on eBay it will sell for a fortune as not a lot of them have survived this long.
Really. I think i got mine at a retro video game store in main. I didn't know they where that rare :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Good stuff happens when your a video game collector.

@Margen67 WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU!!!!!

Margen67

Dirty entited pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the real question is..
Can it run Crysis?

Really. I think i got mine at a retro video game store in main. I didn't know they where that rare :)

Good stuff happens when your a video game collector.

@Margen67 WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU!!!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: