what is a good sized SD card for a modded switch

Robbet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
at the moment ive got a 64gb SD card which just isnt enough for me, and i was just wondering what would be a good SD card size to be able to have linux ubuntu, android 10, CFW and a whole bunch of games on the switch?

brentb89

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was using a 1TB, but I've just recently upgraded to a 1.5TB as I'd filled the 1TB and kept having to delete things.
For most people though, 1TB should be good.

Reactions: mlemm

Robbet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I was using a 1TB, but I've just recently upgraded to a 1.5TB as I'd filled the 1TB and kept having to delete things.
For most people though, 1TB should be good.
would 512 be good aswell, also just wondering what the minimum/recommended partition should be for linux

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I started with a 128GB card then upgraded to a 256GB then i upgraded to a 512GB then a 1TB and finally im on a 1.5TB go big your sd card will fill up fast.

SylverReZ

Certified GBATemp Boomer
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I started with a 128GB card then upgraded to a 256GB then i upgraded to a 512GB then a 1TB and finally im on a 1.5TB go big your sd card will fill up fast.
I would be careful with 1TB or larger microSD cards, some have reported them melting the SD card slot. Personally, in my opinion, I would go with 128GB.

ezkitty

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would be careful with 1TB or larger microSD cards, some have reported them melting the SD card slot. Personally, in my opinion, I would go with 128GB.
i think this is a very rare case from a tiny amount of folks who inserted a 1TB sd card. 128gb for installing android and linux doesnt seem like enough. @Robbet probably wants to install many stuff. I honestly dont see the reason of having something larger than 512gb. I have 2 TB external ssd that is loaded with many games (base + upd + dlc) and I can easily install them using dbi to the sd card or nand. if I'm done playing something, I'll delete it and not have to worry about redownloading the game. Local backups very nice

Reactions: mlemm and SylverReZ

mlemm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get a card with as much room as possible that you can afford, you think you won't need it but you'll be surprised. 1 and 2tb cards are very expensive and the potentiality of corruption on a card that big and losing everything is a nightmare to me. A 512gb micro sd card will be your best bet especially if you buy an international brand on sale for under $30 (under $45 for australian dollars). These days good brands seem to be around $40 USD ($60 AUD) after tax, I'm not a brand loyalist and have a handful of micro sd cards across all sizes from 64gb through 512gb, samsung, sandisk, PNY and also toshiba (a 1 and a 2gb yes GB!), all are still going strong. Just avoid any of those noname inexpensive brands because they don't last very long - days/weeks/months not years - and are often corrupt on arrival.

Research up on the Switch data transfer rate capabilities (there are even a few pop-articles on sites like howtogeek that go over this) so you know data what to frame your purchases on and any rates beyond that is going to be overkill. To use sandisk ONLY as an example company, there's no need for a sandisk extreme card. I have a 256gb one only because I got it on sale for a great price - but it's data rate is overkill as hell and I feel slightly goofy for having it. The "basic tier" sandisk ultra is more than enough because the Switch can't maximize the higher end sd cards like the sandisk extreme or extreme pro. That speed can be utilized when transferring files onto the card through usb3.0, though.
Switch cartridges have a much slower data transfer rate than the lower tiers of well-known-branded micro SDs do, to give you some idea of relativity and recognition that games still run fine at a lower data transfer rate.

Last edited by mlemm,

ecchilada

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get a card with as much room as possible that you can afford, you think you won't need it but you'll be surprised. 1 and 2tb cards are very expensive and the potentiality of corruption on a card that big and losing everything is a nightmare to me. A 512gb micro sd card will be your best bet especially if you buy an international brand on sale for under $30 (under $45 for australian dollars). These days good brands seem to be around $40 USD ($60 AUD) after tax, I'm not a brand loyalist and have a handful of micro sd cards across all sizes from 64gb through 512gb, samsung, sandisk, PNY and also toshiba (a 1 and a 2gb yes GB!), all are still going strong. Just avoid any of those noname inexpensive brands because they don't last very long - days/weeks/months not years - and are often corrupt on arrival.

Research up on the Switch data transfer rate capabilities (there are even a few pop-articles on sites like howtogeek that go over this) so you know data what to frame your purchases on and any rates beyond that is going to be overkill. To use sandisk ONLY as an example company, there's no need for a sandisk extreme card. I have a 256gb one only because I got it on sale for a great price - but it's data rate is overkill as hell and I feel slightly goofy for having it. The "basic tier" sandisk ultra is more than enough because the Switch can't maximize the higher end sd cards like the sandisk extreme or extreme pro. That speed can be utilized when transferring files onto the card through usb3.0, though.
Switch cartridges have a much slower data transfer rate than the lower tiers of well-known-branded micro SDs do, to give you some idea of relativity and recognition that games still run fine at a lower data transfer rate.
the only useful post so far, everyone is saying put a whole 1 tb ssd when corruption risk is too high for an sd card. at the end of the day most of us are pirates and doing it the free way instead of buying every game. There really is no need for a 1tb drive because i don't even think the switch has a big enough library to even fill half since most of it is shovelware. Or maybe just get a seperate sd for the ubuntu and android stuff since it'll require a restart anyway to boot them.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only useful post so far, everyone is saying put a whole 1 tb ssd when corruption risk is too high for an sd card. at the end of the day most of us are pirates and doing it the free way instead of buying every game. There really is no need for a 1tb drive because i don't even think the switch has a big enough library to even fill half since most of it is shovelware. Or maybe just get a seperate sd for the ubuntu and android stuff since it'll require a restart anyway to boot them.
Just don’t use exFat and there’s no corruption risk …

Reactions: ezkitty

digipimp75

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It all depends on your style. Some are content with a 128gb card, whereas people like me go for 1tb and stuff it with anything they can find :)

tmnr1992

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As others have already said, it depends, I would make a list of the games I want to play and check their file size to see how much space is needed. I think 512gb will be enough for most people.

Reactions: ezkitty

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Mozambique
Unless a person switches back and forth between 100 games, imo there's not much need for anything over128GB. Most people don't even switch between 10 different games and there's not much point in keeping games around that have already been completed and are just sitting there not being played. I have a 512GB in mine and it was completely unnesessary for me personally. I have a few games that stay on as I play them often, but everything else is install, play, complete, delete, repeat.

Reactions: ezkitty and sKoMo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...