Hacking Question What if i buy an used switch that is banned?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
im not sure why the outcry isn't as bad as when xbox said you can't game share. its the same EXACT premise. possibly because hacking is involved? maybe...

some call it piracy, i consider it game sharing. someone has a copy, they offer for me to play it and i do, since i don't "own" it, im now banned. i guess they are mainly attacking non-legit certs for games and downloads that don't originate from the system, but what happens if Nintendo makes a mistake on their end with the cert detection? how they gonna recover that one?

im for banning online play for the user ID, that makes perfect sense. they don't want to muck up their online environment.
It is nothing like the setup MS proposed. You can still chuck a game cart to a mate and them play it.
I would like them to have a robust online reselling, lending and whatever platform for their downloaded content but that is a different discussion. If you wanted to say you created a setup a la https://gbatemp.net/threads/this-si...e-2001-and-isnt-afraid-of-nintendo-co.515799/ or you sold an account with some games but for this then maybe I would have some sympathy, that is not what you described though.

Similarly what does banning an ID do? 5 minutes to make a new account? Whoo. Maybe you have some fools that value achievements and trophies enough to consider a ban a problem. Maybe if you ask disabled all other saves on the account (in which case default practice would be to have a throwaway and a real account, or a new account for each save). An account ban is barely a slap on the wrist.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they should know by doing cdn bans they shot themselves in the foot cause those ban generally= more pirates who don't have a guilty consious cause nintendo fucked them in the first place :rofl2:

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry that i shot your dog, my mom gave me this gun. See? It's basicly her fault..

Grow up Bobby, even if the circumstances are complicated, still your responsebility.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is retarded when it comes to this stuff. The bans should be 30 days in the first place, not permanent. Japan is way too strict. Punishments don't fit the crime. Years of jail time and a lifetime of restrictions over a little marijuana? That's Japan. Permanent bans make no sense from a business perspective. They force people to pirate. These bans will cause me to spend half as money on my Switch as I did on Wii U and Wii. I don't intend on giving Nintendo any more money than I have to with bans like this. It's extra unfair to the 3rd parties. Bad nintendo, bad.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

well, they are getting money from you buying there games or any game available on the eshop

They don't want that money, bans prevent you from buying games. They don't want money from your kind. They think its dirty money.

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Nintendo is retarded when it comes to this stuff. The bans should be 30 days in the first place, not permanent. Japan is way too strict. Punishments don't fit the crime. Years of jail time and a lifetime of restrictions over a little marijuana? That's Japan. Permanent bans make no sense from a business perspective. They force people to pirate. These bans will cause me to spend half as money on my Switch as I did on Wii U and Wii. I don't intend on giving Nintendo any more money than I have to with bans like this. It's extra unfair to the 3rd parties. Bad nintendo, bad.

Uhhhhhhh, no, the punishment totally fits the crime. So you pirate their shit and you expect them not to permanently ban you from accessing their servers?

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

They don't want that money, bans prevent you from buying games. They don't want money from your kind. They think its dirty money.
your kind....when you weren't the one who did the action to get it banned.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhhhhhhh, no, the punishment totally fits the crime. So you pirate their shit and you expect them not to permanently ban you from accessing their servers?

1) Not all modifications are for piracy.

2)Even when people pirate, it is often not at 100%. They still buy some games.

It's not fair when someone buys 5 games, pirates one, and gets permanently punished for all 6 games. It's not fair to the game developers either. They are preventing people from buying future games. Just because someone pirates some games, doesn't mean they would never buy any games again.

If you give out temporary bans as a warning, you will convert some of those pirates into paying customers. If you give out permanent bans, you convert 0% to paying customers. Imagine if Microsoft gave out permanent bans for anyone who has ever pirated Windows.

Yes, I expect lesser punishment. Small punishments rehabilitate, large ones don't.

your kind....when you weren't the one who did the action to get it banned.

In that particular case, it wasn't their fault, but still. Collateral damage.

Reactions: nWo and jt_1258

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
1) Not all modifications are for piracy.

2)Even when people pirate, it is often not at 100%. They still buy some games.

It's not fair when someone buys 5 games, pirates one, and gets permanently punished for all 6 games. It's not fair to the game developers either. They are preventing people from buying future games. Just because someone pirates some games, doesn't mean they would never buy any games again.

If you give out temporary bans as a warning, you will convert some of those pirates into paying customers. If you give out permanent bans, you convert 0% to paying customers. Imagine if Microsoft gave out permanent bans for anyone who has ever pirated Windows.

Yes, I expect lesser punishment. Small punishments rehabilitate, large ones don't.

In that particular case, it wasn't their fault, but still. Collateral damage.

1)Yes they are. Emulators count as piracy. Modifying your system in anyway is a break of the EULA anyway
2) Doesn't matter, you broke their rules. It's like if you said" Oh that guy killed someone but we should forgive him because he saved someone too". And yes that's exactly what it means. People who pirte are not people who buy games. And a temp ban isn't going to convert anyone. They just wait for the ban to be over and go back to pirating again

LightOffPro

ユキオクン
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This question is much deeper than that.

Imagine that i buy a used switch, test it out and it fully connects online. All good right? One week later i am banned.

I cannot complain to the seller because he will say "the switch was banned on your hands, your fault mate. I sold you a perfectly good switch as you tested the console when you bought it".

Bans are not instant, they are delayed. This is the real problem. The used market is broken with this because although you know that the previous owner hacked the console, there's no proof of it.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1)Yes they are. Emulators count as piracy. Modifying your system in anyway is a break of the EULA anyway
2) Doesn't matter, you broke their rules. It's like if you said" Oh that guy killed someone but we should forgive him because he saved someone too". And yes that's exactly what it means. People who pirte are not people who buy games. And a temp ban isn't going to convert anyone. They just wait for the ban to be over and go back to pirating again
I at least think I pirte. So why do I have Smash, Mario party, yoshi and Fallout 76 on preorder at Amazon?

Reactions: Slartibartfast42

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la