Hacking What emulators do you think will be possible if the 3DS gets hacked?

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Despite it being more powerful(your android), if what Slowking says is true about it being emulation, then that would show that the system was pretty much built with N64 emulation in mind...an emulator that Big N makes would probably trump others anyway, being that it is their system and all.

Btw, where did you get the 256mhz from? I thought it had a dual core 800mhz arm processor.
I've heard mixed claims about that. Some have said 256, some have said 800.

crazyj3ss

hmm
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imo, 256(even though it's dual core), sounds way off.

N64, GBA, GBC, PSX, Genisis, GCN(has the power?)

One can only hope about that last one. Even then, they could definitely port them and, depending how hard the code translating actually is, I'd love to see GCN titles to be able to be downloaded to the 3DS, when the Nintendo Network arrives on the seen. They already have said full retail downloads are possible, so memory shouldn't be an issue there(if they can pull this off).

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
specs from 3dbrew: SoC Nintendo 1048 0H (Custom): CPU, GPU, VRAM & DSP all on one chip. Processor Core ARM11 MPCore 2x 268MHz & 2x VFP Co-Processor GPU DMP PICA 268MHz DSP 134Mhz. 24ch 32728Hz sampling rates. VRAM 6 MB within SoC. Independent of system memory (FCRAM). FCRAM 2x64MB Fujitsu MB82M8080-07L Storage Toshiba THGBM2G3P1FBAI8 1GB NAND Flash
@ Crazyj3ss ^This

SanoKeo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I hope, even someone said that it's impossible or unlikely and I know that it's hard but I really hope... that N64 could be emulated on 3DS...
Also PSX, and my favorite, Snes...

But as always, the very first, has to be NES emulators, That would be like the "Hello world" of the emulators.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I hope, even someone said that it's impossible or unlikely and I know that it's hard but I really hope... that N64 could be emulated on 3DS...
Also PSX, and my favorite, Snes...

But as always, the very first, has to be NES emulators, That would be like the "Hello world" of the emulators.
Well, we already have NES on the DS. so no worries there. and the Nintendo EShop has quite a few emulated NES and Gameboy titles available, so we know the 3DS is capable of that. To me, if they get good working SNES and GBA and Genesis (since the DS Jenesis emu crops the screen), I'll be happy.

sentinel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
U can be pretty sure that IF the 3DS gets hacked (and I hope it does soon) retro emulators will work like a charm. Nes, Snes, N64, PS1, GB, GBC, GBA. Genesis, Sega master etc etc etc.

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NES,SNES, N64, PS1(maybe),GB, GBC and GBA. Anything else I think is up in the air until it's hacked

this
233~mhz seems more likely than 800, i mean, afaik it has 128mb memory
it's arm11, so that's why it's confusing and hard to say
don't even expect gcn/ps2/original xbox, it's not going to work, not even the xbox360 or the playstation could handle that AS a homebrew unless there is official emulation in which case it might work
the wii is much stronger than the ps2, yet it can't handle even ps1/saturn games and has a hard time with n64 games, but it has official support for n64 VC titles and built in gcn-mode, that's the only reason it can handle it
but no, i'm 99% sure you're not going to see gcn/original xbox/ps2 emulators working on the 3ds, n64 and the same generation consoles seem more likely

Since the PSP could run a PS1 emulator there is a big possibility that the 3DS could. I mean isn't the 3DS specs higher than the PSP?
the psp is much stronger than the ds, yet see how terrible fps is there, the emulator itself is just a proof-of-concept, that's how terrible it runs

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
We aren't solid on the 3DS specs yet, No one has managed to find the real clockrates of the 3DS's dual CPU's or even GPU's. The information posted at 3Dbrew is just an estimate based on rumors. There might even be a possibility 3DS's GPU could help out in emulation, we'll see when it gets hacked.

RAM is the only thing we are clear about and have solid source for that.

Reactions: 1 person

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
from the other thread:
If the 3DS get hacked, I think we will be able to emulate NES, SNES, PS1, GB, GBC, GBA and maybe N64.
I highly doubt n64... MAYBE PS1, but even that's doubtful. The rest should have no problem running prfectly though

You do know that most of OoT 3D is actually emulated? They just slapped a new graphics engine on there. All the underlying code: emulated.

There is a huge difference between a port and a emulation. Mario 64 was ported to DS, and It's clear that DS can't emulate N64.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS1: 33.8 Mhz 32-bit CPU, nameless GPU (effects: texture mapping, flat & gouraud shading, ect.), 2 MB main ram, 1 MB VRAM, can do 180K texture mapped and light sourced polygons per second.
N64: 93.7 Mhz 64-bit CPU, 62.5 Mhz RCP (effects: everything the PS1 did + bilinear filtering, mip mapping, anti-aliasing, environment mapping, ect.), 4 MB RDRAM (expendable to 8 MB via Expansion Pak), can do 100K polygons in N64 quality in Fast3D mode and 500 to 600K polygons in PS1 quality in Turbo3D mode

there you go if anyone has trouble comparing..

Keep in mind that Turbo3D mode was never used due to graphical degradation, at least according to Nintendo. However, there are a few exceptions, such as the game World Driver Championship; It exceeded many PS1 games in terms of polygon count, which was very rare for an N64 game. The problem the N64 GPU had was its severely limited texture cache of 4kb, which resulted in muddy textures, but most games were definitely smoother and didn't suffer from the Parkinson's-shakiness the many 3D PS1 games had issues with. To this day I was never able to figure out why so many PS1 games were plagued with shaky polygon movements, but whatever. Not trying to get off topic, I just wanted to add my two cents.

Since the PSP could run a PS1 emulator there is a big possibility that the 3DS could. I mean isn't the 3DS specs higher than the PSP?

The problem with writing emulators isn't so much related to clock speed as it executing the code in such a way for the machine to understand, seeing as most consoles or PCs were never meant to run emulators in the first place. Then there's code optimization, if the code isn't optimized very well (such a balancing between accuracy and compatibility) then it'll run like crap, but we don't want that. Take for instance WiiSX, people thought PS1 emulation on the Wii was an impossibility, since the PS1 uses a MIPS R3000A CPU and the Wii uses a PowerPC CPU, obviously they can't understand each other. So the programmers found a way to translate the PS1 MIPS code for the IBM PowerPC to understand, not to mention a DynaRec, or dynamic recompiler had to be written and rewritten for better optimization. By the next release, PS1 emulation will be ever better. Then again, I could be just blurting out tangents for all I know. Perhaps some of the real experts can verify my half-a**ed attempt at an explanation.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
from the other thread:
If the 3DS get hacked, I think we will be able to emulate NES, SNES, PS1, GB, GBC, GBA and maybe N64.
I highly doubt n64... MAYBE PS1, but even that's doubtful. The rest should have no problem running prfectly though

You do know that most of OoT 3D is actually emulated? They just slapped a new graphics engine on there. All the underlying code: emulated.

There is a huge difference between a port and a emulation. Mario 64 was ported to DS, and It's clear that DS can't emulate N64.
Both wrong to be honest, OOT 3D was neither emulated nor ported, was a complete remake.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
from the other thread:

Both wrong to be honest, OOT 3D was neither emulated nor ported, was a complete remake.
I'm pretty sure port/remake mean the same thing in this regard. But you're completely right. The games have to be completely remade/ported (whichever word u prefer) to work with the 3DS's capabilities. I tried to explain that to people in the other thread to no avail. Heck, forget n64 on the original DS, it can't even run GBA or SNES well without extra flashcart processing power.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/zt9KMvI-kQs?si=o7yb3GlzURRtZh0o