Hacking what do you mean by download play?

gatorade

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard download play mentioned a couple times in this site and that some flashcarts don't do so well with it. What exactly is download play? Just download w/e and it works fine?

rice151

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well there is two kinds of download play but in regards to the site, it specifically means Single Card Download Play.

Basically, some games can be played wirelessly with other DS's even if the other person doesn't have the exact same game. Flashcarts usually "patch" a rom so it can be read on the flashcart (I think
tongue.gif
) So when you patch it, it screws up some wireless encryption (NSA?) so it fails to load on other ppl's DSs

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is only one kind of download play. It refers to having one or more players join a multiplayer game by going into the DS menu and clicking the 'DS Download Play' option.

As far as I can tell, the G6 has no download play capability. With the M3 Simply, I've successfully hosted download play for several games. Not a single one of those games would work for download play when running from the G6 lite. I don't know if the M3 lite is any different from the G6 in this respect.

dbgtdob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
download play works on most slot 1 flash carts, with a slot 2 flash cart you will need to flash the receiving ds, there are a few exceptions to this, on game that dont have a data check such as custom robo, bomberman land touch, download play is you sending a mini game to someone who does not have the game, im surprised you are asking such a simple question, when you turn on your ds, the download play button is in between the Start GBA and start ds game slots in the middle of your screen, next to pictochat.

gatorade

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't have a ds lol

i'm just trying to figure out if the cart i'm purchasing for my gba will be any good on the nds (in terms of nds functionality)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
i'm just trying to figure out if the cart i'm purchasing for my gba will be any good on the nds (in terms of nds functionality)
Most GBA cards have excellent DS compatibility; it's easier to get DS compatibility than GBA compatibility. Don't worry about the DS now; get a good GBA card (M3, G6, EZF4), and you'll have good DS functionality as well, once you get yor DS (and a Passcard
happy.gif
).

My advice is to get an M3 or G6 for now, and later on get an R4 with your DS. That way you get the best overall compatibility (homebrew, Opera browser, download play, GBA, DS).

gbasp.gif
yaynds.gif
gba.gif
grog.gif

Godot0102

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got pokemon trozei to work with download play, i use a slot-1+slot-2 supercard lite combination, other than that i havnt got any of the other games to work.

Lurick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By two types, I mean Single Card Download Play and Multicard Download Play.
I think you're confusing "download play" in general with all games that have a WiFi multiplayer option. Yes, there are many games like this, some with aspects that allow you to play with other people ... a few of these require both players to have the game, others make use of Download Play to "lend" that part of the game to another, cardless DS. It's important to note, here, that there's no such thing as "multicard download play." At the very least, I've never heard of it, and by the looks of things, nor has anybody else that's posted here.

If there are two DS's with the same game, there's nothing to download, so using multiplayer features would not utilize actual "Download" Play.

Indeed, all Download Play is "single card," because it basically entails someone with the game uploading a portion of it to someone without it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: why were servers down?