What are your views on gay marriage?

Do you think gay marriage should be legal?

• Yes, gay marriage should be legal.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, gay marriage should not be legal.

• I don't really care either way.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
QUOTE said:
As long as everyone involved agrees to it, polygamy should be legal.

Destructobot put it totally fairly. The problem lies in those involved who DON'T agree to it, but are brainwashed into pretending.
The same can (and does) happen in all sorts of relationships. Anyone that's seen one of their friends get sucked into a relationship with some psycho that makes them miserable can attest to this.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Destructobot said:
granville said:
QUOTE said:

Destructobot put it totally fairly. The problem lies in those involved who DON'T agree to it, but are brainwashed into pretending.
The same can (and does) happen in all sorts of relationships. Anyone that's seen one of their friends get sucked into a relationship with some psycho that makes them miserable can attest to this.
True that. And that's what happened between my mother and father. My dad was abusive to her and attempted to control her. She actually said I was a blessing because I'm what made him leave her (they weren't married). Although I think she was strong enough to leave him on her own eventually.

Pimpmynintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zombielove said:
Lord Kanti said:
scientific and psycological journals are based on science and fact, not bias. extensive work goes into creating a research journal, and if the scientific community senses bias or untrue claims (experiments where the same results cannot reproduce the same results as claimed on paper) then they do not get published or aknowledged as fact.

You should be able to work this one out for yourself quite easily.

You know from your experience that the human mind does not act the same way in every situation. Nor is it the same for every individual. Psychology can't use the usual scientific method of a repetitive experiment that returns the same results consistently. Psychology is not a real science like physics or chemistry. It's a weak observational method, only called science by name - like social science.

Anyone can have a journal published. Just because someone has "Dr." before their name, or have done extensive research doesn't make their analysis foolproof.

If you can show me proof that a child will be worse off with a loving gay parent than it would be with an abusive mother, or no parent at all (remember it has to be 100% of the time, in all observations. We're doing science here.) then I'll believe you.
Yeah this is what I tried to say before but put perfectly. Psychological journals are not even close to being a scientific journal. If Psychology was a science how come I have been diagnosed around 20 different ways in the past 10 years by so many psychologists. All it really is is guesswork. You can never take a psychologists word for truth imho because there are always at least 100 more willing to give you 100 different views.

Lord Kanti

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pimpmynintendo said:
zombielove said:
Lord Kanti said:
scientific and psycological journals are based on science and fact, not bias. extensive work goes into creating a research journal, and if the scientific community senses bias or untrue claims (experiments where the same results cannot reproduce the same results as claimed on paper) then they do not get published or aknowledged as fact.
If Psychology was a science how come I have been diagnosed around 20 different ways in the past 10 years by so many psychologists.

Dude, did you really open yourself up like that with said statement? I'll avoid the first 20 things that came to mind and hold back snickers and snide remarks for the sake of civility...

Pimpmynintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lord Kanti said:
Dude, did you really open yourself up like that with said statement? I'll avoid the first 20 things that came to mind and hold back snickers and snide remarks for the sake of civility...
1. I don't care what you think about that statement I was merely proving a point about how stupid it is to believe psychiatrist about the best environment for a family.
2. You are just making yourself sound like an jerk/idiot by saying the part in bold because you have no idea what I was being diagnosed for.(and also because if you were going to be civil you wouldn't have said that at all.
3. At least I know how to quote.

zombielove

Trophies
XP
Country
Lord Kanti said:
Consider it advise for future debate, otherwise you will be made out to be the straw man.

Ok, you've now resorted to personal attacks, and claims that you don't need to prove your asinine opinions.

So, is this the part where you admit you were wrong?

Sir-Fritz

Trophies
XP
Country
Pimpmynintendo said:
zombielove said:
Lord Kanti said:

You should be able to work this one out for yourself quite easily.

You know from your experience that the human mind does not act the same way in every situation. Nor is it the same for every individual. Psychology can't use the usual scientific method of a repetitive experiment that returns the same results consistently. Psychology is not a real science like physics or chemistry. It's a weak observational method, only called science by name - like social science.

Anyone can have a journal published. Just because someone has "Dr." before their name, or have done extensive research doesn't make their analysis foolproof.

If you can show me proof that a child will be worse off with a loving gay parent than it would be with an abusive mother, or no parent at all (remember it has to be 100% of the time, in all observations. We're doing science here.) then I'll believe you.
Yeah this is what I tried to say before but put perfectly. Psychological journals are not even close to being a scientific journal. If Psychology was a science how come I have been diagnosed around 20 different ways in the past 10 years by so many psychologists. All it really is is guesswork. You can never take a psychologists word for truth imho because there are always at least 100 more willing to give you 100 different views.
What, so your mentally unstable and your giving advice now? lol

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zombielove said:
Lord Kanti said:
Consider it advise for future debate, otherwise you will be made out to be the straw man.

Ok, you've now resorted to personal attacks, and claims that you don't need to prove your asinine opinions.

So, is this the part where you admit you were wrong?
That won't be necessary. We know he's wrong. All he did after everyone slammed his "logic" was become an arrogant snob and say "I don't have to answer you".

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lord Kanti said:
Wow. All that work to make yourself look like a somewhat intelligent yet naive person down the drain with that comment. That just showed your immaturity. And no your age doesn't actually have anything to do with immaturity.
IMO this thread is over.

All opposition have been proven wrong but are just to full of themselves to listen.

El Blacksheep

Trophies
Website
tryorke.no-ip.info
XP
Country
United States
I read through half the topic and got sick of the bickering and the circular logic, so I'll just state my 2 cents:

Marriage is rooted in religion, and has become a legal entity over time. As much as I'd like to say "Gay marriage shouldn't be a government issue: let the church decide this for themselves" it's not that simple because of what marriage evolved into over the course of history. As much of a homophobe as I am (and believe me I am. I don't mind the conservative gays but the flamers irk me) it's just plain wrong to violate somebody's rights when they've done nothing to deserve it. It wasn't right under indentured servitude, it wasn't right under slavery, and it isn't right here either.

The problem then lies in the fact that marriage has ties into religion, which defines it as being between a man and a woman. As long as this bond exists, this dispute will never be settled; something has to go. Either the term marriage must adopt an entirely new meaning and forsake it's ties to religion (not gonna happen) or the entire concept of marriage altogether must dissolve (also not gonna happen). Pretty much, drastic change is required to bring justice to this issue. It's not an issue that can be settled by passing a law or even a constitutional amendment - look how long ago the Civil War was. The south freed the slaves, and yet to this day racism exists everywhere you go.

Lord Kanti

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
arrogant? do you have to re-prove fact everytime something faces you in life? If I had to prove and reinvent things that have already come and passed then my life would be a tedious and wastefull one. Had this been a research paper or open debate forum, the facts I have stated along with given sources would suffice. I would most likely have had more than 2 sources but this is GBATEMP.NET not a real debate. Had I not used up my last two research papers on the benefits of videogames in the classroom, I'd gladly accept this topic and post my results online. I did however get an A on my last paper and convince the professor that videogames are good, so at least I have accomplished that for now...

Pimpmynintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*snip

One thing I always found funny was if somebody says they have gone to a psychiatrist the first thing that comes to peoples mind is that person is crazy. It's the same when somebody hears that somebody in the Special Ed they think person is retarded when in reality all gifted kids(in the US) are in special ed.

Also Lord Kanti what you aren't getting is that Psychology isn't a science that gay parent's are worse overall than straight parent's can't be proven as fact. Also having sources doesn't make those sources right. I could quote Jack Thompson on video games and say video games are evil yet that doesn't mean that my source is right lol

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
QUOTE said:

If not all members are then no it should not happen but the person who wishs to be in a polygamy relationships can always find those who wish to be in such a relation ship. However whatever way you look at it you can say one of the members have been brain washed by over time everyone has been brainwashed to think a certain way or act a certain way and when someone goes out side of this "norm" they find them to be in the wrong and should be burned alive (using Salem witch trials as am example here) or put in jail (more modern).

I am sure murder will be brought up with these examples, but lets see...

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lord Kanti said:
arrogant? do you have to re-prove fact everytime something faces you in life? If I had to prove and reinvent things that have already come and passed then my life would be a tedious and wastefull one. Had this been a research paper or open debate forum, the facts I have stated along with given sources would suffice. I would most likely have had more than 2 sources but this is GBATEMP.NET not a real debate. Had I not used up my last two research papers on the benefits of videogames in the classroom, I'd gladly accept this topic and post my results online. I did however get an A on my last paper and convince the professor that videogames are good, so at least I have accomplished that for now...
.....*faceplam* What does a research report on video games have to do with gay marriage? Oh right nothing. Just because your not on a debate forum does not mean you have to "hold back." You were proven wrong. I dare you to go on an open date forum that isn't filled primarily with people from the white south and try the same argument. Listing two books wont get you anywhere. They would laugh you of their website. Your just lucky your on gbatemp and were use to simple minded people such as yourself.

zombielove

Trophies
XP
Country
*snip

I know... I guess I'm dreaming. I just think the world would be a better place if people just admitted they were wrong sometimes, apologised and got on with their lives instead of making excuses and digging deeper and deeper holes for themselves.

I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong about something.

I don't know why it's so hard to say, "I don't believe in gay marriage because I was raised in a predominantly Christian/ Muslim society and I have been taught that homosexuality is wrong from a very young age, therefore it's very hard for me to change my opinion. But this is just an opinion. It's not scientific fact."

Fair enough, you hate gays, you're entitled to that opinion. But don't try to claim your opinion as scientific fact.

Lord Kanti

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
so I 'failed' at proving what has already been proven by providing legitamate sources.

so be it. now's your chance to prove yourself correct and post your 'evidence' and sources...

Pimpmynintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dinofan01 said:
Lord Kanti said:
.....*faceplam* What does a research report on video games have to do with hay marriage? Oh right nothing. Just because your not on a debate forum does not mean you have to "hold back." You were proven wrong. I dare you to go on an open date forum that isn't filled primarily with people from the white south and try the same argument. Listing two books wont get you anywhere. They would laugh you of their website. Your just lucky your on gbatemp and were use to simple minded people such as yourself.
Hay can't legally marry I don't know what you are talking about
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi