Hardware What are the odds of seeing a third party GamePad?

Will we see a third party GamePad?

• Likely

Votes: 29 39.7%
  • Doubtful

Votes: 40 54.8%
  • Probably with the arrival of dual GamePad Games

Votes: 10 13.7%

• Total voters

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about a an Android app that would act as one ... come to think of it, why couldn't there be an android app that could act as a wiimote?
I want to see a Android app act as a PC game controller, maybe with the 360 button setup and the middle area used as a PDF reader for strategy guides and game maps.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure we will see more of these, but made and changed to work with the wii u. I didn't think it would be made so soon tho.
S7100.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
How about a an Android app that would act as one ... come to think of it, why couldn't there be an android app that could act as a wiimote?

I want to see a Android app act as a PC game controller, maybe with the 360 button setup and the middle area used as a PDF reader for strategy guides and game maps.
I'm pretty sure at least one of these exists...

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The question is: can it be done in a way that is profitable? Every wiiU comes with a gamepad, so as long as wiiU games can only handle one gamepad, the demand is pretty much nil (remember: broken gamepads fall under the warranty).
That demand will rise once games not only allow for multiplayer, but ALSO a multiplayer where it pays of to have two screens**. A head-to-head FPS, for example (though it'll take some serious processing power). Until then, I'm pretty sure people will, at best, buy wiimotes for their friends and guests.

There are numerous reasons somebody would want a cheap new gamepad, so the demand would hardly be nil. Things such as kids being hard/careless with toys, accidents happening( I'm sure there are numerous people here who have lost a phone in the water, by dropping it, etc), you name a scenario. Stuff such as this usually isn't covered under warranties unless you have a protection plan.
I already mentioned that gamepads under warranty period will be replaced. No need to buy a cheap gamepad if you can have the current one being replaced.

But I should have been more clear on the demand. It's indeed not nill...but it's lower than it should be. For two reasons:
1. as long as only one gamepad can be used at the same time (or, more precisely: as long as there's no 'killer app' that uses two gamepads), I don't think we'll see even an attempt at a third party gamepad. Likewise: people do tend to buy wiimotes or other controllers to replace the first ones...but the majority buys them partially because they have friends they want to play with.
2. there already IS a cheap gamepad replacement. In fact, I already have four of them lying around in my room: wiimotes. Sure, they have no screen...but how many games are actually going to use them? That's the point I was trying to make. I bet a lot of parents will tell their children something like "if you break that screen thingy, you'll have to use THIS thing instead".

The thing is: with all the technology in the controller, it'll be hard to make a profit as a third party developer. Take that JXD S7100 (image: see Kingvamp's post). That thing sells at 140 dollars. I doubt things can get much cheaper without making losses (which is straight out bad business for third party developers: they simply cannot afford that). But...for that same price, you have four wiimotes. And probably at least two of those pro gamepad controllers. Both of which can be made quite a bit more sturdy than the gamepad.

Fuck...the more I talk about this, the less likely I think it'll be there ever will be one. An exclusive wiiU gamepad controller, that is. An android app that lets you emulate one, on the other hand, will become pretty popular.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you miss my point. If you accidentally break/abuse a gamepad, you just don't get a new one for free under the warranty, Nintendo is going to charge you for it. If a 3rd party gamepad existed, it might be cheaper then whatever the charge is.

Edit: Quoting from Nintendo's "Warranty Limitations"
(d) IS DAMAGED BY NEGLIGENCE, ACCIDENT, UNREASONABLE USE, OR BY OTHER CAUSES UNRELATED TO DEFECTIVE MATERIALS OR WORKMANSHIP

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there already IS a cheap gamepad replacement. In fact, I already have four of them lying around in my room: wiimotes. Sure, they have no screen...but how many games are actually going to use them? That's the point I was trying to make. I bet a lot of parents will tell their children something like "if you break that screen thingy, you'll have to use THIS thing instead".
I'm going to guess all of them and most being pass what the wiimotes can do, so no you didn't and those parents going to be dumbfounded when the game
says "can only be played with the gamepad".
The thing is: with all the technology in the controller, it'll be hard to make a profit as a third party developer. Take that JXD S7100 (image: see Kingvamp's post). That thing sells at 140 dollars.
Except the fact that even if it a Chinese knockoffs/clones, it still has more than what the wii u controller will have since it isn't a tablet.
I only shown that as a possibility of people making tablet with controls to be use on the wii u as it's controller.

Reactions: 1 person

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, at first in my head it was "Duh". Then i started thinking. Just because you have to ask, theres some skepticism there. So im really not sure. :unsure:

kingcolex

Joe "Coop" Cooper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im so conflicted on my answer here, but i bet nintendo will go out of there way to make sure there is no thrid party versions as long as they can. It seems this controller will be the selling point of the console and at such an expensive price for a controller i cant see third parties making alot of these because if stock doesnt sell they get screwed over. But on the other hand im sure they will wanna piece of that pie and with dual pad games itll be more wanted.

retrodoctor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the gamepad needs is to be able to be picked up by the system itself. We'll see third party controls in less than a month from launch.

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
Went and checked it out today you can only have 2 WiiU wiimotes connected (yours and a friends) and you cant buy the WIIU remotes separately only with a system according to EB Games.
OZ price $349.95 St and $429.95 Ulimate pack.So what happens if you break a controller you have to get it from Nintendo yeah that will be cheap. So i hope my vote is wrong and we see knock offs in the 1st few months. But not likely to be cheap even for knock offs.

BornInBlack

GangnamTemp
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soggypizza.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Canada
*snip*

The thing is: with all the technology in the controller, it'll be hard to make a profit as a third party developer. Take that JXD S7100 (image: see Kingvamp's post). That thing sells at 140 dollars. I doubt things can get much cheaper without making losses (which is straight out bad business for third party developers: they simply cannot afford that). But...for that same price, you have four wiimotes. And probably at least two of those pro gamepad controllers. Both of which can be made quite a bit more sturdy than the gamepad.

Fuck...the more I talk about this, the less likely I think it'll be there ever will be one. An exclusive wiiU gamepad controller, that is. An android app that lets you emulate one, on the other hand, will become pretty popular.

While i agree that JXD thing looks cool, i am reminded that the Gamepad does not do its own processing while this thing assuredly does. I'll admit im not entirely knowledgeable in pricing of microprocessors- i have to think that it accounts for a good part of the price.
on the other hand its missing a lot of features in comparison too; NFC, L,R,ZL,ZR, Dual analog, motion sensing.

A standalone Wii U GamePad will set Japanese gamers back 13,440 yen (that's just over US$170). - IGN

the conversion on the wii u pricing turned out to be lower than the direct conversion. i guess we can only hope the same will apply to the gamepad

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol