Weird noise when connecting PS5's external HDD to extension cord

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Overnight, I take the PS5's 3.5" external HDD's power cord from the external HDD just to be sure because the external HDD's power supply makes an annoying whistling noise when the external HDD's power cord is connected and I'm worried about a fire starting.

I've changed the external HDD's power strip and directly connect the external HDD into the wall socket and into another socket from the same wall and I still have this problem. Does that mean the external HDD may stop working, or even worse, may it mess up all my devices connected to the power strip or/and may it even start a fire? I bought this external HDD two years ago and I've had this problem since then.

I find it odd that if I connect it to the laptop's power strip which is connected to a socket on another wall, I don't have this problem.

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes, I just transfer digital to external. I only play one game at a time.

I guess internal M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs are still expensive. I also only play one game at a time and use the external HDD to store all the PS4 games, regardless if they're digital or not.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since it does this noise even when it's the only device connected to the extension cord where the TV, PlayStations, Gigabit Switch, Set-top box and HDMI switch were connected to but not when it's connected to the extension cord where my laptop is connected to, does that mean fhis extension cord is faulty? If so, shouldn't the other devices be louder when connected to it too and how did I also have this problem with the former extension cord?

Geez, some of the replies in this thread...

Anyway, what's causing this is most likely "dirty" 120/240V AC coming from your mains. This can be caused by a number of things (including not-so-great generation facilities/transformers in your area), but is usually a result of other devices connected in your home feeding interference back into the lines.

This used to be a big problem back when it was common to use analog signals for audio and video. Since everything stays almost exclusively in the digital domain when being passed back on forth between devices these days, this shouldn't be an issue for you.

It may cause some small amount of extra stress on internal components of your AC to DC power adapters, but they are also probably designed to handle it. Or, at the very least, you likely won't end up actually using them for long enough to see the consequences. The only thing you have to worry about is the annoying noise, which, as you've stated, can be solved by unplugging the adapter when you're not using it.

You can get something called a "power conditioner" which is meant to filter out this kind of noise and reduce feedback, but those are fairly expensive and may or may not solve the issue, depending on a number of factors. If you can deal with just unplugging things when you aren't using them, that's just usually your best bet.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Anyway, what's causing this is most likely "dirty" 120/240V AC coming from your mains. This can be caused by a number of things (including not-so-great generation facilities/transformers in your area), but is usually a result of other devices connected in your home feeding interference back into the lines.

This used to be a big problem back when it was common to use analog signals for audio and video. Since everything stays almost exclusively in the digital domain when being passed back on forth between devices these days, this shouldn't be an issue for you.

It may cause some small amount of extra stress on internal components of your AC to DC power adapters, but they are also probably designed to handle it. Or, at the very least, you likely won't end up actually using them for long enough to see the consequences. The only thing you have to worry about is the annoying noise, which, as you've stated, can be solved by unplugging the adapter when you're not using it.

You can get something called a "power conditioner" which is meant to filter out this kind of noise and reduce feedback, but those are fairly expensive and may or may not solve the issue, depending on a number of factors. If you can deal with just unplugging things when you aren't using them, that's just usually your best bet.
You do realize that's mostly me, don't you?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That's what I do.

Do you know if this would work if using a 2.5" external HDD instead of an USB flash drive, I mean, would the nano router provide enough energy to power the former? 1 TB USB flash drives are still expensive. What about using a 1 TB microSD card with an USB 3.0 microSD card reader?

Sorry, I don't get the technical explanation.

Are you saying it's something inside the wall socket that causes this noise? If so, why don't other devices connected to it make this noise too? I don't have this noise if I connect the external HDD to a socket on another wall but I do if I connect it to another socket on the same one.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Are 8 TB external SSDs cheap? I don't think so. 480 GB is very small for me.
True, but to be fair, SSD pricing has become stagnant for about 5 years now, and it sucks... They're supposed to get cheaper over time but haven't lately.

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
True, but to be fair, SSD pricing has become stagnant for about 5 years now, and it sucks... They're supposed to get cheaper over time but haven't lately.

That's the problem. Even 1 TB USB flash drives are expensive for me. Also, do external SSDs improve PS4 games' speed a lot?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
That's the problem. Even 1 TB USB Flash Drives are expensive for me. Besides, do external SSDs improve PS4 games' speed a lot?
For me it definitely does. I don't have any more weird texture pop in on the FF7 Remake, and the load times on Fallout 4 are drastically shorter.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
For me it definitely does. I don't have any more weird texture pop in on the FF7 Remake, and the load times on Fallout 4 are drastically shorter.

I have odd pixel or texture (I guess) issues even when playing PS5 games in the internal SSD. I've always had this problem in any TV, PS and game (I guess), so maybe it's normal.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I have weird pixel or texture (I think) issues even when playing PS5 games in the internal SSD. I've always had this problem in any TV, PlayStation and (I think) games so maybe it's normal.
It's definitely more noticeable with a mechanical drive, but yeah. Textures will start out blurry or pixelated and then sharpen up as things load in. It's noticable 8n the FF7 Remake on my PS4 Pro, since I haven't upgraded the internal HDD to an SSD yet.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I put whatever I'm playing on the internal m2 ssd, since I'm just using an external hdd for storage.

Are PS4 games faster if played from the PS5's internal SSD?

It's taking a lot of time for the PS5 to load the PS4 games from the external HDD, so I don't know if I should install them on the internal SSD and play them from it.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

I put whatever I'm playing on the internal m2 ssd, since I'm just using an external hdd for storage.

It seems the noise doesn't come from the external HDD but from the power supply and/or power cords.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'd replace it immediately. I bought a gba sp off ebay several years ago, and the power cable made a whistling noise.

Some time ago I bought a power supply for the PSP, it made a noise (I don't know if it's the same kind of noise) and stopped working. I think the current power supply does it too. I guess it's not normal.

How do I know which power supply should be bought? This external HDD came with many power cords to match different regions, I made a mistake and used the korean one which fitted the power strip instead of the european power cord and I also had this noise. Anyway, the thing is, I don't have this noise if connecting the external HDD to the PC's power strip so is it possible not being the power supply's fault?

Reactions: impeeza

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some time ago I bought an adapter for the PSP, it made a sound (I don't know if it's the same sound type) and stopped working. I think the current working adapter does it too. I guess it's not normal.

How do I know which adapter should I buy? This external HDD came with many power cables to match different regions, I made a mistake and used the korean one which fitted the extension cord instead of the european one and I also had this noise. Anyway, the thing is, I don't have this noise if connecting the external HDD to the PC's extension cord so is it possible not being the adapter's fault?
I know I said I wasn't going to reply to anymore of your threads but I don't hold grudges as they serve no purpose. The squeal from using the Korean adapter was most likely due to a frequency mismatch. Korean infrastructure being 60hz and the European requirement being 50hz. So unless the adapter has the 50/60hz specification written on it, it's not meant to work with the European power infrastructure.
If it does have the 50/60hz specification written on it, it's possible that the squeal you are hearing is due to the frequency conversion taking place within the transformer of the adapter.

Last edited by fringle,

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I know I said I wasn't going to reply to anymore of your threads but I don't hold grudges as they serve no purpose. The squeal from using the Korean adapter was most likely due to a frequency mismatch. Korean infrastructure being 60hz and the European requirement being 50hz. So unless the adapter has the 50/60hz specification written on it, it's not meant to work with the European power infrastructure.
If it does have the 50/60hz specification written on it, it's possible that the squeal you are hearing is due to the frequency conversion taking place within the transformer of the adapter.

Why would you hold grudges against me when you started?

I guess it has that since I bought it in a nacional store. I've been using the right one and it still makes this noise.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I suppose it has that since I bought it in a nacional store. I've been using the right one and it still makes this noise.
It's most likely just normal transformer whine then. On the adapter it should show the rated frequencies. If it's 50/60hz you can try just just a 50hz one. It may still whine or squeal but may not be as high pitched. Also if any of your consoles or devices are imports you will need to ensure that they are also rated for the same frequency as the adapter you are plugging in to the wall. It can get confusing.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It's most likely just normal transformer whine then. On the adapter it should show the rated frequencies. If it's 50/60hz you can try just just a 50hz one. It may still whine or squeal but may not be as high pitched. Also if any of your consoles or devices are imports you will need to ensure that they are also rated for the same frequency as the adapter you are plugging in to the wall. It can get confusing.

It's as loud as when the korean power cord was used and all devices were bought in national stores. Anyway, why don't I have this noise when connecting the external HDD to the laptop's power strip, which in turn is connected to a socket in another wall?

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's as loud as when the korean cable was used and all devices were bought in national stores. Anyway, why don't I have this noise when connecting the external HDD to the PC's power strip which is connected to a different wall plug?
Could be bad ground/earth on that outlet or dirty power. The power strip may also have surge and noise protection that filters out dirty power. By dirty power I mean that it is susceptible to voltage ripple, where the voltage can go above or below the standard. It's actually quite common in older power grids.

Last edited by fringle,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F