Hacking We all good to update as of 5/18?

viper3344

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for bumping again guys, but how does the TX work? If say you are on 3.0 but the game requires a 3.0.1 or higher, will it still boot it?

Thanks

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for bumping again guys, but how does the TX work? If say you are on 3.0 but the game requires a 3.0.1 or higher, will it still boot it?

Thanks
To do that would require the need of a firmware spoofer which they have not shown off nor mentioned so you will most likely need to update to the latest firmware. That is fine since the exploit they are using works on all firmwares of all currently available Switch revisions. So you can buy TX's modchip, update to the latest firmware, and reap the benefits.

TX's product works by sending malicious code through the USB-C port on the Switch when it is sent into RCM, or Recovery Mode. The first step involves sending the device into RCM by either using their jig or SX Pro. The jig shorts pins 10 which is the Switch's hidden home button. On any device, holding vol + while pressing the power button will boot you into RCM. So on the Switch, after inserting the jig, you would need to hold vol + and the power button to boot into RCM. The SX Pro corrupts the process of booting into your Switch normally by, well, bricking it (AutoRCM). With AutoRCM installed, the Switch will no longer boot into its main OS but will now boot directly into RCM when you press the power button.

The second step involves sending a payload.bin via the USB-C port on the Switch. This, as well as the CFW that is used to play backups, is on the modchip they are selling. The payload.bin helps to boot the Switch into their CFW, or Custom FirmWare, that has options for backup loading as well as other things.

This exploit is based on a bug in the Switch's bootrom and cannot be patched out because the bootrom is read-only. Think of an old SD card that you can no longer edit the files on it (which is due to the SD card reverting to read-only after a certain number of cycles of moving files). Nintendo does plan to roll out a Switch that will be not be vulnerable to this exploit sometime in the future. We don't know any exact dates or what they may even look like, but they are coming.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unstable? How so? I've only messed with it a couple of times, but it hasn't glitched on me at all. There is homebrew that won't run on 5.x yet, but that has nothing to do with Hekate
You may have been lucky but others have had a lot of trouble on getting either the app store to load, the homebrew they'de downloaded, or other things. I haven't tested it personally myself, but I do keep an eye on all the bugs that have been reported.

viper3344

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To do that would require the need of a firmware spoofer which they have not shown off nor mentioned so you will most likely need to update to the latest firmware. That is fine since the exploit they are using works on all firmwares of all currently available Switch revisions. So you can buy TX's modchip, update to the latest firmware, and reap the benefits.

TX's product works by sending malicious code through the USB-C port on the Switch when it is sent into RCM, or Recovery Mode. The first step involves sending the device into RCM by either using their jig or SX Pro. The jig shorts pins 10 which is the Switch's hidden home button. On any device, holding vol + while pressing the power button will boot you into RCM. So on the Switch, after inserting the jig, you would need to hold vol + and the power button to boot into RCM. The SX Pro corrupts the process of booting into your Switch normally by, well, bricking it (AutoRCM). With AutoRCM installed, the Switch will no longer boot into its main OS but will now boot directly into RCM when you press the power button.

The second step involves sending a payload.bin via the USB-C port on the Switch. This, as well as the CFW that is used to play backups, is on the modchip they are selling. The payload.bin helps to boot the Switch into their CFW, or Custom FirmWare, that has options for backup loading as well as other things.

This exploit is based on a bug in the Switch's bootrom and cannot be patched out because the bootrom is read-only. Think of an old SD card that you can no longer edit the files on it (which is due to the SD card reverting to read-only after a certain number of cycles of moving files). Nintendo does plan to roll out a Switch that will be not be vulnerable to this exploit sometime in the future. We don't know any exact dates or what they may even look like, but they are coming.

So even with a FW update, Nintendo can't block anything huh. So might as well just update the switch to the latest.

Any word on how game updates will work?

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well No one found it yet.
Ok? Until mid to late last year, no one found a bootrom bug, until the other day, a lot of people though tx's method was cold boot.
In March of last year, no one thought the switch would be blowed wide open within a year. No one thought switch hacking research would lead to unbricking ouya's. I mean, I can keep going.

That's a stupid reason to update. The update in question doesn't require the latest firmware. And with full system, and soc control, there's no reason an update couldn't be sideloaded. Give it time, and dont be a dick because you updated.

Reactions: dpad_5678

karloz25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don’t update.
1.0. - 4.1.0: you will have the use of atmosphere without using a jig or pc.
No external devices to boot atmosphere, you probably gonna boot using gallery or fake news app or so...

Above 4.1.0: you will be tethered, using a jig of sorts to get into RCM, and using a external device to load the payload at every boot.

Reactions: Ivellios

Ivellios

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Don’t update.
1.0. - 4.1.0: you will have the use of atmosphere without using a jig or pc.
No external devices to boot atmosphere, you probably gonna boot using gallery or fake news app or so...

Above 4.1.0: you will be tethered, using a jig of sorts to get into RCM, and using a external device to load the payload at every boot.

Thank you! this is the information i was looking for, glad i held off updating.

Now i just keep waiting for atmosphere softmod for 3.0.2

StormEye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Thank you! this is the information i was looking for, glad i held off updating.

Now i just keep waiting for atmosphere softmod for 3.0.2
From my understanding,

Anything 3.0.0 and below are pretty much guaranteed to have softmod available from launch or soon after launch.
Between 3.0.1 and 4.1.0 (you have 3.0.2) are "EXPECTED" to receive softmod some time later (may be year 2020 who knows, likely end of this year?).
5.x.x and above are unknown at this point.

I have 3 Switches, 1 I just use daily without thinking much, just updating if it nags and its a worry free version.

Other 2 are for hacking in the future. Unfortunately, when I bought them they were 4.1.0 already. So I may have to wait a long time as I want softmod on them.

Ivellios

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
From my understanding,

Anything 3.0.0 and below are pretty much guaranteed to have softmod available from launch or soon after launch.
Between 3.0.1 and 4.1.0 (you have 3.0.2) are "EXPECTED" to receive softmod some time later (may be year 2020 who knows, likely end of this year?).
5.x.x and above are unknown at this point.

I have 3 Switches, 1 I just use daily without thinking much, just updating if it nags and its a worry free version.

Other 2 are for hacking in the future. Unfortunately, when I bought them they were 4.1.0 already. So I may have to wait a long time as I want softmod on them.

Is it supposed to take that long for a softmod for 3.0.2? i thought it would come after the mariko revision, which is coming in the next couple months. So my prediction is somewhere between august and september.

Another thing i still dont know for sure is, are these softmods completely untethered for this version? This information is still pretty vague i think. SciresM said something about it but i did not understand what he meant.

Ivellios

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I am not too sure whats going to happen. I don't think anyone except very few have exact details of whats to happen.

This is why i think its better to wait at least until atmosphere launches so we can have more information before making a decision.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So even with a FW update, Nintendo can't block anything huh. So might as well just update the switch to the latest.

Any word on how game updates will work?
In their FAQ, they mention that you can download updates for your games but that would involve being on a higher firmware if you are not on the latest depending on the game. The interesting part here is they use the word sometimes implying that they might be teasing a way to do it without updating to the latest firmware, but I think that would be reading too much into it. Basically, since their device already supports all firmwares, they expect you to be on the latest firmware to update your games.

Reactions: viper3344

viper3344

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Makes sense but what about this.

If Nintendo can possibly detect that you are running a mod, cant they just block game updates?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Roll them little snake eyes in
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :wacko: rolling?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    make up his mind dude
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Go gay there I made up his mind
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm straight but we can whack dicks together