Want the new Xfinity rental modem with wifi 6 before it's out?

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So who knows what will come in the mail, but currently on the east coast Xfinity is testing the
CGM4331COM (XB7) rental modem, so (here on the west coast) I talked to the customer support chat and just asked specifically for the CGM4331COM, they said they will be sending it, that it is the XB7, and that it has wifi 6!

Now again I don't doubt that they will send me a xb6 anyway, but seeing how there's supposedly a Nationwide release next month, it could well be possible their systems are already capable of sending them out.

I'll add that I know people prefer to use their own modems, but you do get unlimited data for 25 extra if you do use theirs. (50 if you don't)

More info on modem:
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32469291-Equip-New-XB7-Technicolor-CGM4331COM-Wireless-AX-Wi-Fi-6

Warning: it's white, also the zigbee functionality is probably the same as the xb6 and only works with their very few endorsed products.

Attachments

• 20191227_031827.jpg
    20191227_031827.jpg
    541.5 KB · Views: 829
Last edited by Ericthegreat,

1NOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
is this like, a router? from your isp?
the modem is what your isp use to transmit data to the router . some are router themself and made by and for the isp compagny . like my modem doesnt support ipv6 but my router does , so i cant use it , because the isp doesnt use the protocol and the modem cannot work the data so im stuck using ipv4 .

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Merica is so weird with their Internet, I'm in the UK here and i pay £24 ($31) for unlimited fibre Internet 76mb/s. No router rental, they provided me one for free

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, so is mine.

Outta curiosity how much do you pay for your net and what speeds/bandwidth do you get
275 up/15 down (lol) $100. If I didn't care about unlimited and I had my own modem, it would be 60.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

but bro Americans get dial up for free.

:P
Do we?

Eric did you get conformation on this yet?
Yes I did, but there no way to know what they shipped until it arrives(I never trust Comcast reps), but the guy seemed to understand that it was the XB7 and that it has wifi 6, also I have talked to a person in the same city as me where one representative would not send it out yet, so it might take a few trys to get someone who doesn't care.

Last edited by Ericthegreat,

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, that's really expensive i just had a look and in the UK its the equivalent of $68 for unlimited and 362mb/s down 100mb/s up.

That includes modem/router

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, that's really expensive i just had a look and in the UK its the equivalent of $68 for unlimited and 362mb/s down 100mb/s up.

That includes modem/router

Only downside is that they can be POS, haven’t even bothered unboxing my current ISPs.

Best piece of equipment I was ever given by an ISP was a VDSL modem (the white BT Openreach ones), meant I could use cable routers and WRT (currently use pfSense).

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Only downside is that they can be POS, haven’t even bothered unboxing my current ISPs.

Best piece of equipment I was ever given by an ISP was a VDSL modem (the white BT Openreach ones), meant I could use cable routers and WRT (currently use pfSense).
I currently have mine in modem only mode (I'm with ee) and connect to a netgear r7800 with wrt

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Merica is so weird with their Internet, I'm in the UK here and i pay £24 ($31) for unlimited fibre Internet 76mb/s. No router rental, they provided me one for free
It depends on where you live in the US, and if your city has comp. I bought my modem/router online for like 40 dollars. I get 100 up and down for 40 dollars. My cap is like 77tb, lol.

Reactions: yusuo

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Still not worth their shitty monthly costs IMO. I can pickup a TP-Link AX router for $70 (even if it's only ax1500 :lol:) and the necessary gbps modem to support those speeds for another $80.

Much rather spend the $150 once and get to setup and use my devices however/with whoever I wish than be stuck with their monthly fees.

Reactions: Ericthegreat

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
American population density is pretty low in residential areas (see: suburbia), making internet rollout a fairly costly affair. Thus the higher prices/slower speeds than in much of the rest of the world.*

*Citation needed. Also the entire ISP market/culture is incredibly predatory and shitty over here.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still not worth their shitty monthly costs IMO. I can pickup a TP-Link AX router for $70 (even if it's only ax1500 :lol:) and the necessary gbps modem to support those speeds for another $80.

Much rather spend the $150 once and get to setup and use my devices however/with whoever I wish than be stuck with their monthly fees.
I agree especially if you use DNS settings for somthing like pi hole (there are device specific workarounds for most things), but for unlimited in my area it would cost me an extra $25 a month not to have their modem. (You might be able to just rent theirs and not use it, though I'm not sure)

American population density is pretty low in residential areas (see: suburbia), making internet rollout a fairly costly affair. Thus the higher prices/slower speeds than in much of the rest of the world.*

*Citation needed. Also the entire ISP market/culture is incredibly predatory and shitty over here.
Actually the government has given incredible amounts of money for isps to have broadband across they country, they pretty much just stole it and no one says anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/owEOnspRpVk?si=rEd1m4Yi0aTKvjiv