Hardware Wall charger for Switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
i used my Nexus 6P original charger a couple of times with my Switch and it worked just fine BUT
yesterday i tried charging it and after some hours i checked on the battery and it showed 96% and then i was like "Okay ima wait 10 minutes then it will be 100%"

i'm ocd when it comes to this type of thing, when i charge something it has to be fully charged before i let myself use it unless its my phone and i am in a hurry etc.

so what i did was ,i waited about 10 minutes then i go back to my switch and i check the battery percentage and guess what?? it came down to 94% and i was like wtf !!??

so now i am really shying away from using my Nexus 6p charger or any other type of charger with my switch, and will only be charging my switch with the charger it came with for good.

better safe than sorry.

Reactions: alexj9626

alexj9626

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
Get and offical replacement charger. Gamestop, bestbuy, etc... sells them.

Ignoring the Gamestop part, i know that the official adapter is actually the best i can get. Now, answering both post:

Why not just do the easy thing and unplug the charger from the dock when you are out and about. It's pointless being away from home and having your dock and charger back at home take the charger and leave the dock behind its that easy lol.

One because is still a pain when im in home, if i want to play in my bed or watching a game the battery would last shit. Two and kinda the most important is because the official charger has a big ass and is a problem for carrying cases.

I have a friend that lives in Miami so i think he could buy the Google Pixel charger from Groupon (15$ right now on a promotion) and send it to me. People always say that is the best non official charger, so i think is worth the pain and the 3-4 weeks wait.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i used my Nexus 6P original charger a couple of times with my Switch and it worked just fine BUT
yesterday i tried charging it and after some hours i checked on the battery and it showed 96% and then i was like "Okay ima wait 10 minutes then it will be 100%"

i'm ocd when it comes to this type of thing, when i charge something it has to be fully charged before i let myself use it unless its my phone and i am in a hurry etc.

so what i did was ,i waited about 10 minutes then i go back to my switch and i check the battery percentage and guess what?? it came down to 94% and i was like wtf !!??

so now i am really shying away from using my Nexus 6p charger or any other type of charger with my switch, and will only be charging my switch with the charger it came with for good.

better safe than sorry.

See, thats what i was looking for when i made this post. I just dont want to search for a random brand on amazon and buy it cause it can output 15-18W.

I THINK Google is a safe bet, but then i read your post and im not sure.

So your charger works fine outside the Switch? It could be the cable.

So I assume a phone charger works aswell for the Switch? I use it for my PS4 controller lol

Yes, but it depends on the power it can output. My phone charger (Galaxy Grand Prime) is 5W (5V 1A) but the Switch needs at least 11W i think, maybe 12 on handheld, so not all chargers work.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, just buy any charger that does 5v 2.1A. It's enough to charge while playing, even if it's slower than you like. A 5v 1A charger won't help much unless you leave it in sleep mode. So basically, most non-generic chargers that say they're made for an iPad will do just fine.

alexj9626

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
Again, just buy any charger that does 5v 2.1A. It's enough to charge while playing, even if it's slower than you like. A 5v 1A charger won't help much unless you leave it in sleep mode. So basically, most non-generic chargers that say they're made for an iPad will do just fine.

Like i said, i just dont want to some random charger. I want to buy one that is safe to use. I know is kinda picky but power is something to look for, it can really damage your device.

Anyway, i think im going to do my best to get the Google charger. If not then just going to get an official charger and think in something for it big ass fitting in the carrying case.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would really go for the original one.
Yes it is a little on the big side, but that one can't fail, why would you take the extra risk.

(that said other chargers with less current marking shouldn't damage your Switch, only charge it more slowly)

alexj9626

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
I would really go for the original one.
Yes it is a little on the big side, but that one can't fail, why would you take the extra risk.

(that said other chargers with less current marking shouldn't damage your Switch, only charge it more slowly)

Well, i think that the Switch max input is like 30W, maybe more for when is docked, so 18W is not that much, is just what it needs for handheld.

But you are right about the extra risk. Official one is the best, but is just not about if is able to charge it. Travel is a big part for this decision and the official can actually fit in my carrying case (Orzly case) but with nothing more, like a power bank that is needed for 3+ hours travels.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
like a power bank that is needed for 3+ hours travels.
I have a 20,800mah power bank with 2 ports, 1 is 1.0A the other 2.1A. I use the 2.1A and it charges while playing, or keeps it at 99~100%. I use the cable that came with the pro controller for the power bank.

alexj9626

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
I have a 20,800mah power bank with 2 ports, 1 is 1.0A the other 2.1A. I use the 2.1A and it charges while playing, or keeps it at 99~100%. I use the cable that came with the pro controller for the power bank.

Hi man, thanks, do you mind to link that power bank? I want to buy one with USB C output but from what im reading (and i think you can confirm) any 2.1-2.4 A output with USB A would work fine.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi man, thanks, do you mind to link that power bank? I want to buy one with USB C output but from what im reading (and i think you can confirm) any 2.1-2.4 A output with USB A would work fine.
USB C has nothing to do with it. That's just the end that goes into your Switch. What you are thinking of is the new "quick charge" ports, which you do NOT want. That is something new, and when you plug in something that isn't compatible, it will actually charge slower.

I have a USB charging hub that plugs directly into a wall, and it has 3 regular ports that output 2.1A each, plus 2 "quick charge" ports. If you plug in a newer Samsung Phone, those quick charge ports do just that... But I have a USB battery charger with a digital display. On a regular port, I can charge 4 batteries at once and all of them get a full 1 amp. If I plug the same thing with the same batteries into a quick charge port, they each get less than half an amp. It's because nothing in the battery charger tells the port that it can accept a quick charge.

Also, there are some newer power banks that not only do quickcharge, but also are capable of some extended features of USB 3.1, which includes voltage up to 15v. Mine is simply 5v 2.1A (plus a 1A port, and you can use both at the same time). Carpo Model: CR-PB20800. A Quick Google actually doesn't show one that looks like the one I am using...

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
So your charger works fine outside the Switch? It could be the cable.

it works fine, with my 6p charges it full speed.
it is a quick charge based charger so perhaps that somehow affects the charging of the switch.

google actually states not to use their official chargers with any other type of machine.

i just thought it is very convenient to be using my 6p charger with my switch ,but i won't use it anymore.
however one thing i'd like to state is that i got my Switch from Germany, even though they have the same power output that we have here in the middle east, i still think mayhap the console itself is at fault and maybe it would have worked normally with my 6P charger if i had ordered it from the U.S

i ordered my 6P from amazon , i guess i got it from the U.S

no idea , but i am sure the switch charging methods is already sensitive so i do not trust to charge it with any type of USB-C cable.

i'll just stick to using the adapter it came with !

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
To be completely honest, I'm a bit surprised in the lack of third-party switch accessories. Especially something as simple as a 15v~5v switching power supply charger for the Switch. I'd personally want a battery pack that you install your dock PCB into that attaches slimly to the Switch, so I can dock it anywhere on the go. I'd want a mold-injected one, as I hate the rough and crappy look+feel of 3D printed parts.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You want a powerbank with USB-PD to charge the Switch while playing. There are only a couple on the market so far, but more are coming out.
This is a good one: https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Charger-RAVPower-26800mAh-Recharged/dp/B01LRQDAEI
RAVPower also do a 20100mAh one with USB-PD, but make sure you get the more expensive one (around $75 last time I checked)
They have two versions of the same capacity that look exactly the same, but the cheaper one doesn't have USB-PD.
You may as well go for the higher capacity one really since the price is about the same.

As for wall adapters, there is not really much point in buying anything other than the official charger.
Why? Price difference is negligible between it and other USB-PD compatible wall chargers. You can get a non USB-PD one for cheaper, but it will hardly charge the Switch at all while playing. Any 5V charger with at least 2A (10W) will charge the Switch just as fast as any other 5V charger with at least 2A, so if you don't mind that it charges extremely slowly, pretty much any charger will work. But if you want reasonable charging speeds there really is no point in getting 3rd party chargers. The USB-PD chargers will be more bulky than the regular 5V chargers though, there's no way around that since they provide more power. If it's just for occasional use and you're fine with extremely slow charging while in use, get any 5V@2A or more charger with decent reviews (but not one of the ones with Qualcomm Quick Charge or Samsung Adaptive Fast Charging or anything like that, they will probably charge slower than a regular charger)

Edit: Also, if you need a USB-C cable to go with the wall charger, be careful of which you buy. A lot of them aren't designed within USB-C specifications and can fry the charger (or worse, the computer you're charging it from)

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

alexj9626

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
Kinda dumb question: What does it mean when a power bank has an USB C port and says "In/Out". I mean, i know that you can charge it or charge something with that, but i have heard that it can drain the energy of the device you want to charge, for example the Switch, so how do i use it?

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nothing supports the dock with the 15V/ 2.6A. Anything that supports 5V/ 2A will charge the switch.

You want a powerbank with USB-PD to charge the Switch while playing. There are only a couple on the market so far, but more are coming out.
This is a good one: https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Charger-RAVPower-26800mAh-Recharged/dp/B01LRQDAEI
RAVPower also do a 20100mAh one with USB-PD, but make sure you get the more expensive one (around $75 last time I checked)
They have two versions of the same capacity that look exactly the same, but the cheaper one doesn't have USB-PD.
You may as well go for the higher capacity one really since the price is about the same.

As for wall adapters, there is not really much point in buying anything other than the official charger.
Why? Price difference is negligible between it and other USB-PD compatible wall chargers. You can get a non USB-PD one for cheaper, but it will hardly charge the Switch at all while playing. Any 5V charger with at least 2A (10W) will charge the Switch just as fast as any other 5V charger with at least 2A, so if you don't mind that it charges extremely slowly, pretty much any charger will work. But if you want reasonable charging speeds there really is no point in getting 3rd party chargers. The USB-PD chargers will be more bulky than the regular 5V chargers though, there's no way around that since they provide more power. If it's just for occasional use and you're fine with extremely slow charging while in use, get any 5V@2A or more charger with decent reviews (but not one of the ones with Qualcomm Quick Charge or Samsung Adaptive Fast Charging or anything like that, they will probably charge slower than a regular charger)

Edit: Also, if you need a USB-C cable to go with the wall charger, be careful of which you buy. A lot of them aren't designed within USB-C specifications and can fry the charger (or worse, the computer you're charging it from)
Do you know if the charger's 39w goes with PD 2.0 or something Nintendo made. Either way it's enough for Zelda without losing charge.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Nothing supports the dock with the 15V/ 2.6A. Anything that supports 5V/ 2A will charge the switch.

Do you know if the charger's 39w goes with PD 2.0 or something Nintendo made. Either way it's enough for Zelda without losing charge.
The official charger? It seems to be USB-PD.

g00s3y

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pixel chargers work great with it. 6p chargers don't have PD, where the pixel chargers, and most new type c chargers (with a form of quick charging) will have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyNPg7UIIc