ROM Hack Using a new SD card

Rik80

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried the route of upgrading my SD card from a 256gb to 512gb etc.
Didnt truely work, and im also struggling to find instructions on how to do this that i fully understand

Im running atmosphere
Emmunand on SD card
Hekate / fusee (i think, it auto boots in to atmosphere when powering up, not to the hekate RCM screen)

Unless someone has a good guide on how to upgrade an SD card, then i was considering if it is easier to just use a new, formatted SD card, in my already hacked switch, and just prepare a fresh SD card for use in it?

I had tried to previously upgrade my SD card by cloning it, with all partitions etc, and transferring it to a new, alrger SD card.
I usedHDD raw copy tool to clone the image, then Minitool partition to shift the partitions etc, before writing it to the new SD card
Initially, it worked, the new SD card and swithc, booted up and everything worked fine. However, after i tried to install a new .nsp game, the switch crashed to black screen with an error along the lines of 'BOOT1 error'
Ive read this could (or couldnt) be related to the SD card partitions and their SD card partition sector, no idea

Im open to suggestions, advice, guidance etc

Thanks in advance

Rik80

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you already tried with an image tool, the "old" SD card to make an image
and then to the "new" then enlarge the partition with AOMEI Backupper.
The partition must be "activated !

https://www.aomei.de/download.html

https://www.osforensics.com/tools/write-usb-images.html

Thanks for the reply

I already have an image of my 256gb card saved on my pc
I used HDD raw copy tool to make this image
I then opened this image in Minitool partition before writing it to my new SD card
I could see all the partitions, hidden also. The partitions were arranged with the hidden at the end, so had to copy this partition, delete it, then re-create it at the correct position. I then wrote this to the new sd card.
Put this in the switch, powered it up using dongle etc, and it worked fine. Could play games etc.
I then started to download a few new games. These installed ok. However after a few games had been installed, i got the BOOT error.

I then tried a different approach using Emutool, but didnt get very far with it as the instructions weren't very clear

I then looked at this site
https://birbchirp.gitbook.io/switchguide/misc-useful-stuff/migrating-emu-new-sd

But i could see this was significantly different from the other tried methods and i am not sure if this has the potential to brick my switch, or prevent my original 256gb card from working, if i dont do it correctly on my larger sd card (ie. i cant revert and use my old card)

I wasnt sure if the first failure, although it initially worked, was due to partition sectors on the 2 cards being different, but i dont know how to adjust this sector reference on new card

I am now just wondering if it is easier to buy a 1TB card, format it to Fat32, and somehow start again

merlin555

Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for the reply

Can you take a screenshot of the partitions.
Please make an image with USB Imager, then restore the image file on the new SDcard.
Then you have to Aomei Backupper .
Save the last partitions in the back individually with Backupper (SECTOR by SECTOR).
Then delete those, and enlarge the FAT32 partitiion, which should be the first one.
After that you load the other hidden partitions back, behind them, in the right order.
Finally you have to activate the correct boot partition !

Otherwise, PM me:

Rik80

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you take a screenshot of the partitions.
Please make an image with USB Imager, then restore the image file on the new SDcard.
Then you have to Aomei Backupper .
Save the last partitions in the back individually with Backupper (SECTOR by SECTOR).
Then delete those, and enlarge the FAT32 partitiion, which should be the first one.
After that you load the other hidden partitions back, behind them, in the right order.
Finally you have to activate the correct boot partition !

Otherwise, PM me:

I'll revert with screen shot shortly, im just backing up my SD card with HDD raw. I will then make image copy using USB Imager.

I deleted my HHD raw copy image after trying the Emutool approach
I gave up on the Emutool approach as it had folders with multiple files, unlike the single image file HDD created
I need to investigate Aomei a bit as its all in german

On my first attempt with HDD raw and minitool partition wizard, i copied, deleted then moved the hidden partition to the front/left side of sd card partition (it was at the end)
I then increased the size of the remaining partition to match that of the new increased size of sd card, saved all changes etc

i will PM once the copies are done as i suspect i will need some guidance

sillz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the reply

I then opened this image in Minitool partition before writing it to my new SD card
I could see all the partitions, hidden also. The partitions were arranged with the hidden at the end, so had to copy this partition, delete it, then re-create it at the correct position. I then wrote this to the new sd card.
Put this in the switch, powered it up using dongle etc, and it worked fine. Could play games etc.
I then started to download a few new games. These installed ok. However after a few games had been installed, i got the BOOT error.

I then tried a different approach using Emutool, but didnt get very far with it as the instructions weren't very clear

But i could see this was significantly different from the other tried methods and i am not sure if this has the potential to brick my switch, or prevent my original 256gb card from working, if i dont do it correctly on my larger sd card (ie. i cant revert and use my old card)

I wasnt sure if the first failure, although it initially worked, was due to partition sectors on the 2 cards being different, but i dont know how to adjust this sector reference on new card

I am now just wondering if it is easier to buy a 1TB card, format it to Fat32, and somehow start again

Birbs guide is the best for this, I just used it do do my hidden partition upgrade and it worked flawlessly. I would
1. Use minitool partition to remove you current partition(s)
2. reformat the whole card to fat 32
3. follow birbs emunand upgrade guide you posted here, step by step instructions, very clear with images..you cant beat it.

Rik80

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here the Link in english:
https://www.aomeitech.com/download.html#ab

Minitool Partition i know.
I've done stuff like this a few times, with hidden partition, Linux etc .
And with the Minitool I didn't get very far.

Aomei Backupper was the only one who could do it.
Just do not forget in the options, sector by sector switch on...

Ok, i have imageUSB downloaded
I have inserted my original sd card in pc, and can see this on the software, shows both partitions in step 1
Step 2 - i assume i choose 'create image from usb drive'
Step 3 - save location (just created a folder on desktop for this). However, i see the format it will save as is .bin, not.img?
Step 4 - create copy. (havent done this yet obv)

I will download aomei now

merlin555

Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok, i have imageUSB downloaded
I have inserted my original sd card in pc, and can see this on the software, shows both partitions in step 1
Step 2 - i assume i choose 'create image from usb drive'
Step 3 - save location (just created a folder on desktop for this). However, i see the format it will save as is .bin, not.img?
Step 4 - create copy. (havent done this yet obv)

I will download aomei now

OK.

BIN or IMG doesn't matter.
Simply restore with the same tool.

udo4ever

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the reply

I followed the birbchirp guide last week. There is no danger of bricking your switch at all. The only thing you should watch out for is to make sure that, when restoring the emunnand you put the "SD emuMMC RAW Partition "On"" otherwise you will copy your old SD emmunand partition to your actual sysnand. That is the only danger. This process can be a little time consuming due to the transfer of several gigs of files from your SD to your computer and then to your new SD. However, it works perfectly.

Another alternative is to simply create a emmunand in Hekate from scratch and reinstall all your games and then transfer your saves using a hombrew (JKSV or equivalent) That is by far the easiest way and can be a time saver if you don't have many games to install.

here is a link to the guide I am refering too: https://birbchirp.gitbook.io/switchguide/misc-useful-stuff/migrating-emu-new-sd

Reactions: sillz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Let me finish do the harder drugs