URGENT MESSAGE TO CANADIANS

dawn.wan

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
its so easy to get pirated shit in canada, games, DVDs, anything... they're not gonna stop it, all they can really do is fine the people who sell it.. and they making enuff to pay those fines and survive... thats the way this system works

zosh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
Gman 101 said:
Wow... and I thought Australia was tight about this shit... but then again, we are allowed to use modchips and such for backups.
You are not. Australian copyright law has been amended in 2006, basically adopting the DMCA as far as anti-circumvention laws go, and the creation of backup copies is none of the few exceptions allowing TPM/ACTPM circumvention.

QUOTE(jincongz @ Jun 4 2008, 02:37 AM) IF EVERYONE SENDS THE SAME MESSAGE, AND HALF OF THEM ARE BULL SHIT, THEY WON'T READ THE REST OF THEM
They are getting flooded by one and the same message, "Any amendments to the Copyright Act must not prohibit (...) commercial trade of circumvention devices and technologies", from one and the same server, initiated and paid for by a group of five canadian modchip merchants.

Oh, this sends a clear message alright. I just wonder if it's the right one.

silent sniper

!dennaB
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
the laws never stoppd me before! I done my share of illegal shit, from bombs, guns, weed (only like once a month, as a stress reliever-but than again, deathmetal works as a good stress reliever too), haxzors, and a handful of bylaw infringements etc. Never been caught. Ever. Harper's retarded if he thinks this is gonna work.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
2 of my friends got a letter saying that they infringed the copyright by downloading music from P2P apps, both from Videotron a couple of days ago.
tongue.gif

cpm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ace Gunman said:
jincongz said:
PEOPLE DON'T BE STUPID!!!!!!!!!!11 IF EVERYONE SENDS THE SAME MESSAGE, AND HALF OF THEM ARE BULL SHIT, THEY WON'T READ THE REST OF THEM. THEY'LL DISCOUNT ALL THE VIDEOS, AND SET IT AS SPAM!

Please, let's just have the Canadians, each write a individual letter. It's easier that way.
There's not enough time, we have less than a day.

tomorrow is just the 1st reading in the house of commons... plenty of time
tongue.gif

in fact tomorrow will the first time we actually get to see what is in this so called "Canadian DMCA" legislation. really, after tomorrow one would in a better position to properly criticize this bill and write their MPs with "actual factual" points of concern.

matcon5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As a Canadian and as a person that PRIVATELY uses backups.
I'm very offended at this.
I very much hope that this doesn't go down.

-Matt

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you people realize that the governments of the world (both democratic and communist) slowly take away our rights solely because of the fact we all have the mentality of "Oh it doesn't involve me" or "If its such a big thing, someone else will do it for me".

matcon5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's exactly it. No one cares! Most people sit back and think the government is working for your best interests. People are lazy and don't want to be responsible for themselves, so they let the government handle all the big decisions.

It's a sad state of affairs.

Tac 21

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
aha, so talks about this law is finally come to the big time threat eh? ha!

1984 isn't going to happen... just yet.

people are not going to lie down and aecpt this- it breaks even our consution as well! I must note that candians are stronger and won't take bullshit like america unforantely does- however, in the next four years, expect canada to be involed with the states on a stronger realtionship and evenually become a "world police" and laws like this will be inforced sturnly after a sudden treaty.... it's a set up my firends and your the victim. Problem. Reaction. Soution. or order out of chaos if you prefer.

no one belives me when I say Canada is a lot like america still... but something like this is only further evdence of the influence that americans have on Canada.

Tac 21

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gman 101 said:
Wow... and I thought Australia was tight about this shit... but then again, we are allowed to use modchips and such for backups. Thank God for that.

This is somewhat reminding me of the Prohibition days (I learnt a lil bit about this in history class...). Soon enough we'll have mafia gangs running about the country selling flash carts and such. Anybody got a Thompson in their violin case?

hahaha... are we in the same history class or what

my history teacher (great man) compare this to the EXACT SAME THING.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't care so much about the piracy as I do for my privacy rights....there's no way in hell I want bots continuously scanning what I download whether what I download is legitamate or not. Nor do I want my grandmother to be hit with a $10,000 illegal music fine for not owning a computer.

Kurumi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sent a letter
frown.gif
It downright sucks...

Now to wonder if i should send one with my work address as well
tongue.gif
Maybe seeing an e-mail from someone working in a game company (Ubisoft) will make a tiny impact >.> Though i doubt a mere tester will do that much more XD Worth going i guess...

Tac 21

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
as I said, we are getting closer to 1984 my friend....

I can garenette that something tragic will happen to you or your family that well either a: change your mind or be throw your ass in jail.

however, I love that sprit! I love seeing the people rebel againest such matters. I'm not sure if it is enough though

still this is a great topic. Kudos to the TP and GBAtemp for making it front page

this place is slowly starting to replace shoddy croperate gameFAQS as my new favourite website/hangout. cheers to those that make things happen!

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
This new copyright reform in the form of the Canadian DMCA has been influenced by US lobby groups rather than the voice of the Canadian people. What we're faced with is legislation that is potentially even more extreme than that of the US DMCA which is what allows the RIAA, MPAA, etc to function in the United States as they do.

This would be a blow not only to Canada, civil rights, and copyright law, but also YOUR rights, this fine community, and all of the businesses that make their living by selling said products. Our digital way of life would effectively come to a stop. They're even going as far as proposing a minimum $500 fine per incident. While copyright reform is an important issue, this is not the way to go about it.

In response to this backdoor policy-making a growing movement and coalition has been actively pursuing making the Canadian voice heard in this legislative process. All is NOT lost; they previously attempted to impose similar legislation back in December but this very movement's response stopped them in their tracks. We MUST speak up! We MUST make ourselves heard before it's too late!

As such the Canadian Coalition for Electronic Rights has created a simple pre-written letter sending service that will allow for us to be heard. I implore any and all Canadians to use this service to send a letter to Prime Minister, Stephen Harper; Jim Prentice, Minister of Industry; and Josée Verner, Minister of Canadian Heritage TODAY before we have no tomorrow.

what did the US officals do to influence canada that doesnt make sense why do US groups care about canadian law ? shouldn't they be busy screweing over us americans lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/R28ZSY2Sc2A?si=H5Lb6PNkzMhAHO_P