Hacking Upgraded Internal hard drive - now all games show as corrupt

Leeful

GBAtemp Member
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well I've been doing some testing and I havent found an easy fix.(apart from reinstalling the pkg:()

I assumed that apptousb created a dummy app.pkg on the PS4 that pointed to the real app.pkg on the USB but I was completely wrong.
The symlink that apptousb makes is nothing like that at all. In fact, when the USB is not plugged in there is no app.pkg on the PS4 at all!

When you plug the USB drive in an app.pkg file appears in the CUSA folder on the PS4 (like it should) and it says that it is the full size (like it should).
If you try and copy it using FTP or PS4-Explorer it copies the file from the apptousb USB drive even though it is saying that it is copying it from the PS4.(That is how the symlink works and that is how apptousb works)

The problem is that I have no idea where the symlink info is stored on the PS4. I have compared the app.db for an apptousb game before and after it has been moved with apptousb and all the entries are identical.

If I can work out where the symlink info is stored then I could probably find a way to fix the problem and even add it to my HDD Upgrade Backup/Restore payload.

Last edited by Leeful,

Nocturnal4Life

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy cow that sounds pretty complicated, and here I thought I jumped the gun by reinstalling all the pkg files. (well, not quite done yet but almost lol). So it seems for now it's best to keep them on the internal drive as long as possible so that the backups will work like normal.

Off topic apparently I goofed and the PS4 saw there was an update before I launched the update blocker payload and blocked the PS DNS servers in PiHole >.< So even though it fails if it checks for an update, it nags that there is one every time a game launches :(

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i had this problem and resolved it by ftp’ing my app.db file I’d backed up a while back to the appropriate location.

barelynotlegal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Way to many post to read all. But use the ps4 file manager from lappy it will let you copy and paste them from external to internal. Then in recovery rebuild database. Then back it up. I had many of these issues. Found out the hard way with 147 dump games. Was a headache. Do you still have the pkg files from the dumps? If you do you can “install all at once” and just walk away

Apophys

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well I've been doing some testing and I havent found an easy fix.(apart from reinstalling the pkg:()

I assumed that apptousb created a dummy app.pkg on the PS4 that pointed to the real app.pkg on the USB but I was completely wrong.
The symlink that apptousb makes is nothing like that at all. In fact, when the USB is not plugged in there is no app.pkg on the PS4 at all!

When you plug the USB drive in an app.pkg file appears in the CUSA folder on the PS4 (like it should) and it says that it is the full size (like it should).
If you try and copy it using FTP or PS4-Explorer it copies the file from the apptousb USB drive even though it is saying that it is copying it from the PS4.(That is how the symlink works and that is how apptousb works)

The problem is that I have no idea where the symlink info is stored on the PS4. I have compared the app.db for an apptousb game before and after it has been moved with apptousb and all the entries are identical.

If I can work out where the symlink info is stored then I could probably find a way to fix the problem and even add it to my HDD Upgrade Backup/Restore payload.

And can you work out where the symlink info is stored?

viper3344

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just get an external dude. I actually reduced my internal to a 240gb SSD and got a 5TB external. The ONLY downside is that when you unplug and replug it takes about 5 min to cache all the games again but small price to pay to have your games sitting externally.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo