Hacking Upgrade path

Deleted member 177877

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay, so I've been out of the PSP scene for a while and I notice a lot of new CFW popping up
I'm on PSP 1000, CFW GEN-D3 updated to Prometheus-4

The two CFW that catches my eye are 6.60 ME or PRO.

So, what are the advantages and disadvantages to upgrading?
Are they permanent?
Will I lose some capabilities I currently have with my current CFW?
Will some games that have been patched or my saves (from GEN-D3) be affected with me upgrading?(meaning I can't play the patched ISOs or my saves corrupted)

I also heard that you can't run patches in the new CFW. Does this mean prometheus?
Finally, what are the differences between ME and PRO and which one should I upgrade to? (if it brings nothing but benefits to upgrade in the first place)

The_Dragons_Mast

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
okay, so I've been out of the PSP scene for a while and I notice a lot of new CFW popping up
I'm on PSP 1000, CFW GEN-D3 updated to Prometheus-4

The two CFW that catches my eye are 6.60 ME or PRO.

So, what are the advantages and disadvantages to upgrading? advantages you get a stable cfw ,no longer need to patch anything & you get access to psn
Are they permanent? Yup atleast for all psp 1000
Will I lose some capabilities I currently have with my current CFW? nope. some plugins might needs an update but that's probably it
Will some games that have been patched or my saves (from GEN-D3) be affected with me upgrading?(meaning I can't play the patched ISOs or my saves corrupted) your patched games should work with no problems ,as for the saves that depends most people have no problems but I had a few saves go corrupt but magicsave fixed them .

I also heard that you can't run patches in the new CFW. Does this mean prometheus? have no idea what you are talking about
Finally, what are the differences between ME and PRO and which one should I upgrade to? (if it brings nothing but benefits to upgrade in the first place) well they are really similar but pro in general is simpler & more stable so better use it .

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Follow Rydian's guide to upgrade from a very old cfw.
  • Advantages: It's currently still supported (unlike old cfws like GEN or M33) and doesn't require patches (prometheus and isotool) to play games that requires a certain fimrware to be playable.
  • Disadvantages: lower plugin/homebrew support, although it's getting higher and higher.
  • Permanency: Only 6.20 pro has permanent patch, unless you use the CIPL flasher (6.20 perma works on any model, while CIPL works on all firmwares, but requires a fully hackable psp); I would recommend you use 6.20 pro with perma instead of 6.60 pro + CIPL.
  • Loss of Functionality/Capability: not sure, but quite a lot of older functions are present (and some newly introduced ones as well)
  • Game Compatibility: patched games will be unaffected; some saves might corrupt, but there are ways to fix them.
  • Patches: no need of prometheus because games are prepatched in pro.
  • PRO vs. ME: just use pro, since ME is somewhat experimental and has some more bugs.

Deleted member 177877

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for all the replies guys...
so, is there any additional features added or is psn pretty much the only advantage? (my prometheus-4 is already pretty stable and patches games automatically)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You get the features of 6.x as well, ISO video mounting, native PSN access, compatibility with newer games, memory stick speedup (a godsend), natively ability to do some things you previously needed plugins for (such as game splash skipping), NoDRM feature unlocks your DLC, and likely more I never cared about.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Ello